looking to start 40k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking to start 40k

hey everybody! i play warhammer, or at least will hopefully this weekend for the first time in a year and a half. i''m also thinking of starting 40k. i think i'm going to play the eldar- the models look really cool. what should i get to start 40k? this isn't really a eldar-related question, but i didn't know where else to post...
    thanks

you know, who actually reads these things?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the first thing you're going to need is the WH40K rulebook and the appropriate codex. Hopefully looking around this forum will help you cement your choice of army. Assuming you want to play eldar, the battleforce is a good place to start. I would suggest the army deal as an alternative, but I can't seem to find it on the online store at the moment. Does anyone know if the army deal is still available? Anyways, the battleforce gives you a pretty standard core force that can be built up to fit any play style. If you're going to want a mechanized force, you might also want to consider looking at the windrider host, or the grav tank warhost. But those are both pretty substantial investments in less flexible armies so unless you have your mind set on speed, I think the battleforce is a better choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

If you want to start 40k the first things you will need will be the 40 Rule book. Then dice, measurements, yada yada yada... all the necessary items for fantasy will cross over for the most part. Just like fantasy, you will need the codex (the army book so to speak) of the race you are looking at. I don't want to recommend a bunch of different things because it can be a little overwhelming. Playing Eldar is like saying, "I want to play the humans," when there are multiple choices such as space marines, imperial guard, inquisition, etc... There are a few major play styles that can help you narrow it down. These are most easily explained by the "craftworlds."

Beil-tan:
    Your typical elite army. Aspect warriors usually make up the bulk of the army. It's not unusual to be out numbered 4 to 1 but your units are the absolute best in the game at their selected path.

Saim-Hann:
    Jetbikes, floating tanks, and speed! Everything moves fast and hits hard but isn't very durable.

Ulthwe:
    Psychic powers and guardians galore. Farseers, warlocks and a mess of cheep troops are typical in an Ulthwe army.

Iyanden:
    Typically filled with wraithlords and wraithguard. These guys are tough as nails but you pay a lot of points for them.

Alaitoc:
    Rangers, pathfinders, and generally sneaky units. They are almost impossible to kill while in cover and arrive from nowhere.

These are just starting points and in no way limit what you can or cannot take. To start off you will probably want to grab two troops and an HQ (the minimum for a 40k game) Most Eldar players would say to grab a farseer and two batches of dire avengers and this is solid advice, but I suggest taking a little time and finding out where your passion for the game lies and then selecting the units that fill that choice. Best of luck!
    Never apologise for asking questions young seers, through asking
    questions we find answers, and through those answers we gain
    knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us
    -Farseer Marauth
    Meet My Autarch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm. do you think i should get the battle for black reach? there's a cance i might play space marines...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by arysun View Post
    hmm. do you think i should get the battle for black reach? there's a cance i might play space marines...
    I would say hold off on buying any of the bulk things, but this will get you the rulebook (thought it's small it still has all the rules) It won't save you money if your just buying it for the space marines unless you have an ork buddy who wants to trade for the ork half.
    Never apologise for asking questions young seers, through asking
    questions we find answers, and through those answers we gain
    knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us
    -Farseer Marauth
    Meet My Autarch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AOBR (assault on black reach) is an amazing deal. If you are going to split it with a friend who would take the orks, or if you think you could easily sell off the orks, then it is possibly the cheapest way to get into 40k. Space marines can take a lot of punishment and field troops that can tackle a wide range of jobs. If you're willing to deal with the steeper learning curve of playing eldar though, I personally think they are more fun to play as (of course, my opinion is completely biased). They require knowing precisely what your squads are capable of, and getting the right tool to the right place at the right time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow this is gonna make me sound bad... but i don't have any friends who play warhammer (or 40k for that matter).
    so... i'll by the rulebook for starters. it seems that eldar are the 40k equivilant of wood elves, or maybe dark elves... sounds fun! and plus, they're models are really bad--- looking.
    so. should i get the battalion in your opinion? or pick up a few troops and an hq as someone suggested? (i don't have very much money at th moment. no thats a lie- almost 300 bucks but i want to buy a bass! and also, threw away all my brushes, paints, glue, clippers, etc. so i need to by those again. and also i want to get the new lizardmen army book so...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eldar are the 40k equivalent of high elves if i remember correctly. Dark eldar/dark elves and tau/wood elves(or so i'v heard). But for your question i would say the battleforce isn't the best for starting a force unless you make a force based on what comes inside of it(like me). really you only save about 15 bucks on the battleforce. So i'll say whats every one says to newcomers, If you want shooty, get a farseer and some dire avengers for your troops and hq, and any of the heavy support choices as they are all shooty. If you want cc based, get a farseer\avatar and some storm guardians, direavengers for your troops and hq, and some banshees, scorpians or harlequins for your elites.
    Last edited by wht_rbbt; January 23rd, 2009 at 06:47.
    "stupid overtime zombie virus."
    "I'm glad that worked. Those would have been horrible last words."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would hold off on the battalion because in my opinion you need at least two war warkers in a unit for them to be very effective. If you are new to 40k I would also avoid Guardians for the time being because they require can get mowed down so easily if not used with utmost care. I would get some dire avengers because they are really fun to use, you can crank out more than 30 shots in one turn with bladestorm. Dark reapers are also great as they are the cheapest heavy support money wise and very useful since everyone plays marines these days. The farseer is a great starting HQ cause he is always very useful matter who you are facing. If you are going to start off playing small games I would a couple of the more resilient units like pathfinders, striking scorpions, or warp spiders. These three can be very effective and do not rely on having a transport like many other eldar units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How could I forget wraithlords!? A wraithlord with bright lance, TL flamers and sword is one of my favorite units EVER.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast