Can a deep striking monolith use its portal right away? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    111 (x3)

Can a deep striking monolith use its portal right away?

I am going to play an Apocalypse game with my new Necron army this week end and I wanted to clarify a rule just to be sure I can use it.

I will play a special scenario where a Chaos Host will try to revive a sleeping Necron army to wreak havoc in the region and profit from the mayhem to achieve some dark goals. The host however has been detected by a nearby Space Marine fleet so has soon as the Chaos land on the planet where the ancient ruins are located the Space Marines immediatly attack. At the same time, an Eldar host, led by the visions of a farseer, appear on the opposing side of the ruins to help the Space Marines stop the horror that is going to take place.

I will begin the game fortified in a ruined city with 2500 pts of Chaos. On a side I will have 3000 pts of Space Marines and on the other side I will have 3000 pts of Eldars. I deploy first and I get first turn. If I can keep a Chaos Sorcerer near the entrance of the Necropole (vital objective) at the center of the ruined city from turn 1 up to turn 2, then I will be able to wake up the sleeping necron army that wait inside the Necropole. On my second turn they will be available from the reserve.

So here comes the question... if I deep strike a Monolith in my opponent lines, since all the other units will be available from the reserve (you don't need to roll for reserve in Apocalypse) can I make a unit appear at the door of the Monolith right away ?

It would be a great strategic asset since all I need to do is stop my opponent from reaching my vital objective. If I can put a squad of Destroyer in the right spot at the right time it could have a great effect on my opponents.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

This is for the haters... CrownAxe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

yes you can, since it doen't count as moving or assaulting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Call me crazy but im under hte understanding that deepstriking counts as moving. You know the whole falling from space thing.

My supporting information would be infantry can not fire heavy weapoons when deep striking as they count as moving. Again its hard to aim when falling from space.

This is for the haters... CrownAxe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

i was referring to teleporting with the Power Matrix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x1)

A vehicle that deep strikes counts as having moved at crusing speed. This includes the Monolith. However, the Power Matrix can always be used, regardless of movement. This includes the Particle Whip. The teleporter can also be used right away, with the caveat that, because the Monolith "moved", the unit teleported through it cannot move after having done so. (Same as any unit disembarking from a vehicle that moved at crusing speed.)

So, yes, you can. But you can't move the unit afterwards, during the movement phase, nor can you assault after having done so. (Again, disembarking from a moving vehicle.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

111 (x3)

In the Monolith rules it is stated that even if the Monolith moved in the same turn it always count as being stationnary. So if I use the Matrix to teleport a Necron Unit through the Monolith portal it counts as coming out of a stationnary vehicle.

It means that I should be able to deep strike my Monolith, use the portal to bring a unit from the reserve and that unit will be able to move and shoot as normal.

Am I understanding this the right way?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Thyr View Post
    Am I understanding this the right way?
    Correct. Deep striking counts as moving. But the monoith is treated as being stationary even if it moved. Therefore you can use the portal.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

It's been answered, but put simply. You cannot fire the Gauss flux arc after a deep strike. But you can TELEPORT or use the Particle whip blast weapon as that function is not affected by movement.

When I deep strike I tend to use the particle whip if I can avoid a teleportation, then next turn use both gauss arcs and portal. Softens em up a little (although I field more than one lith so that's a safer deal for me).
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x0)

Don't forget the FAQ though, they revised the teleport slightly. If the monolith or a unit it teleports moved prior to the teleport, the unit cannot move afterward. Also, if you have any warriors in your "Monlolith reserves" that become available the same turn as the monolith, you must bring them in which precludes you from firing the particle whip.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...th_Edition.pdf

+ Reply to Thread