Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I've been debating whether I should have 1 brood of 6 warriors (one with BS, the rest with DSs) or two groups of 3 (where each would have 2 DS, 1 BS). My thinking is having two small groups makes it so that a) if the squad gets wiped out for some reason, you only lose three, b) another barbed strangler, c) more flexible synapse coverage. At the same time I feel that 3-man broods might be a little too squishy.
I'd mostly say it depends on if you're going to field any assault-y warriors and if you're going to field other HQ's or Elites. If you need the slots... bigger broods. Don't need them, more squads the merrier. A smaller squad dies faster, but more squads means more synapse. A big squad can get a lot of shots out (for protection, hide them behind your fodder for a 4+ cover save), but are also a pretty big sized target for your enemies.
I probably could have just summarized this with "I dunno"...
Just watch out because due to wounds allocation in the Shooting Phase, your "different" Warrior with the Barbed Strangler will be foreced to save against wounds. So by running two, it is more of a chance that that model will be wiped out of each brood.
Human beings, while exceptional in the ability to learn from the mistakes of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to...
The solution of course to this problem, is to not lose close combat...
Tyranids Win / Draw /Lost 
Daemon Hunters Win / Draw / Lost 
- The either take up an HQ slot or an elite slot. In either case you are giving up elite fexes or hive tyrants/broodlords to take them, so its important to make them count.
- They are kinda squisy, and since 1/3 of the missions are based on KP's, a large squad is better. 1 squad = 1KP and is much harder to kill of completely than a 3 man squad.
- As for synapse, you can spread a 9 man squad out a little bit and get great coverage. Hell, I usually wrap the gaunts around the warriors and make a mobile bunker...
- A squad of 9 warriors, 8 with DS's and 1 with a BS, can ruin anyones day, especially an ork or IG player....
- I dont run CC warrirors, but if I did, I would make sure that they are getting the chage and attacking first (leaping & Adrenal I), that way they should generally win combat through sheer rending power alone. I would not get warriors (or any nid) involved in multi squad combat unless I was sure I was going to win anyway....
Hive Flee Annoch
Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box. -Italian Proverb