Problems against Eldar and Tau Vehicles - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problems against Eldar and Tau Vehicles

I have recently started a tyranid army and have played a number of games lately against Eldar and Tau. I have usually had little problem against their infantry ( after getting through the firestorm of shooting ) but have had very little success against their vehicles. My hive tyrant is using a venom cannon which as far as I can see is the highest strength weapon we have, but without a lot of success. Close combat attacks are few because of 4's or 6's required to hit with their having moved and rending having been watered down. What is everyones favourite ways of taking out vehicles with nids???? My apponents are taking lists which have max vehicles against me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience, while it pains me to do so, I usually just ignore units like those (and even the Necron Monolith) unless I have something especially vicious up my sleeve. Fortunately none of their tanks are anything like, say, a Leman Russ so you can for the most part ignore them and eat the troops...especially as he can't shoot you if you are in CC. Of course you can always take more VC/BS combos, too, to try and slow them down. Since most of our units need a 4+ to hit anyway, it's no big deal if they moved before haha.
    Human beings, while exceptional in the ability to learn from the mistakes of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

Vehicles typically have AV10 on their rear armour, so take a large number of S4+ attacks and assault the thing. Winged Warriors with TS and 2xST should quickly down many foes.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by whish View Post
    ...My hive tyrant is using a venom cannon which as far as I can see is the highest strength weapon we have...
    A fex has higher S by 3
    Quote of the Week (Number 3) - "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
    Ruina's Hive - My personal Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tip Hive Fleet. I hadn't even looked at the stats for the carnifex??? Looks like a venomspitter varient may do the trick with 4 x S10 shots per turn. And keep up the S4 attacks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have just noticed 2 x ranged weapons count as twin linked i.e. not 4 attacks but 2 with rerolls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by whish View Post
    Thanks for the tip Hive Fleet. I hadn't even looked at the stats for the carnifex??? Looks like a venomspitter varient may do the trick with 4 x S10 shots per turn. And keep up the S4 attacks.
    meh, always keen to help a fellow Aussie out on Australia day
    Quote of the Week (Number 3) - "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
    Ruina's Hive - My personal Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

Deal with them like any other tank. Venom Cannons to stop their
    shooting/movement. Monsterous Creatures/st4+ melee hits to blow them up.
    Anything less than AV14 is much simpler for nids to take out of the game
    fast.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Ive got an idea for you. Rending Raveners. Not only are they fast enough to be effective but when used with a lictor your lokking at 30 re-roll attacks which will normaly give at least 1 pen, then your unlucky if you cant stop it from moving to allow heavyer guns to destroy it (fex's or tyrants) or just blow it up outright. This can also work with CC flyrants, another personal fav or in certain cases Hormaguants. Also dont forget that skimmers only often have the rear acces point so it is very easy to kill models inside without fighting them (Killing Asuryman without even having to hit him is priceless)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Of course you could always get a battery of three Biowores to drop acid mines onto the tanks, and deploy extra mines from the sky if you have the points/FOC-slots in fast attack to do so. If you feel like being a daredevil, you could always get some Zoanthropes to deal the hurt, but apparently those shooty Zoans die so fast because everyone fears their blasting (and rightly so!)

Gargoyles work well, too, since they have that lovely bioplasma that has, no matter what, a 50% chance to hit. Just deepstrike some behind the enemy lines alongside a flying Tyrant for some synapse and lookit them weep! This just gets freakishly expensive since GW (usually) sells the Gargoyles in blister packs of two, meaning that a large enough a unit is going to cost you an arm, a leg, your firstborn baby and your soul unless you enjoy converting things >.<

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast