Speed freaks at lower points. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speed freaks at lower points.

I want to make a speed freaks army, but I have two problems. First I dont have enough transports/bikes to make a larger list and second I have zero battlewagons. I want to make a list that is 1000 points but each time I look at it I feel that it is too small. I was thinking something like this.

warboss
    some nobz in a trukk
    3x trukk boyz

This runs about 850 to 950 depending on the size of the nob squad. This does not leave much room for anything else. Compare this against what I could get with footsloggers.

Big Mek with KFF
    3x 30 boy squadz
    with about 250 point left over for something else.

The way that I look at it, it seems that speed freaks start to be better when getting closer to 2000 points because other units can be included to round out the list. Is there something that I am missing? Anyone else feel this way?

These are just a few other questions.

are 36 boyz enough in a speed freak army that small?
    are battlewagons a must to be effective?
    are there any other units that should be included?
    36>90?
    pie>cake?
    meaning of life, the universe, and everything?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Hmm...

In America, cake is best in the center of the country. If you go north, cheesecake is the dessert of choice, but pie gets better the further south you go.

The meaning of life is to do stuff.

Speed freaks is a little difficult at 1000 points because nobz are a little difficult to use at that point level. They tend to take up too much of the list, and if their transport gets nuked, then they're stranded.

Also, your list doesn't have any units to hold the objectives in your own deployment zone when playing the capture and control mission. I always include at least one unit of grotts in speed freaks armies, just for holding those objectives.

What speed freaks generally need is a 'distraction', something to soak up enemy fire until they reach close combat. Battlewagons indeed work well, but warbikes, lootas, rokkit buggies (if you can convert them or get them cheap), and deffkoptas with big shootas are also good. Everything else is generally too expensive.

I'd look to spend around 100-165 points on a distraction, and then 46-58 points on a cheap unit of grotts. If points are a concern, meganobz are a good alternative to regular nobz, but only if you have them, or have a cheap way of getting them (they tend to be very expensive in real $$$).

Here's how I'd set up the list:

Warboss w/powerklaw, cybork, 'eavy armor [100]

6 Nobz w/2 powerklaws, painboy, cybork, waaugh banner, bosspole, trukk, ram [290]

12 Slugga boyz w/nob, powerklaw, bosspole, trukk, ram [152]

13 grotts w/runtherder [49]

3 Rokkit buggies [105]

You could also turn the unit of nobz into a regular unit of boyz, replace the warboss with a big mek w/Kustom force field (to give the trukks obscurement), and use the points to add 2 units of 9 Lootas, 1-2 units of bikes, or deffkoptas.

In any case, good luck!
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; January 27th, 2009 at 16:30. Reason: forgot one thing
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x2)

Your main issue is trying to fit a unit of Nobz in a 1000pt list. Do that same thing on your foot sloggers and you'll quickly see you numbers dwindle. In a smaller game I tend to avoid Nobz and other pricey squads. As Grax suggested, you can drop them for a 4th unit of Trukk Boyz along with another good unit, like bikes.

Though if you want a true Speed Freaks list don't go with Lootas, Grax likes to put them in Speed Freak lists, but I say that makes them more Speed Maniacs and not true Freaks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Buggies

I don't own any buggies. I do have deffcoptas but those need to be ran in groups of 5 and that is more expensive that 3 buggies. Is there a way to convert something into buggies?

if there isnt then sort of list better?

big Mek w/ KFF [85]
    4x trukk boyz [152 each]
    13 grots /w runtherder [49]

258 points left over for this

5x deffkopta w/ TL rokkits [225]
    6x grots [18]

or

9x Loota [135]
    8x Loota [120]

or

5x deffkopta /w TL big shoota [175]