Eldar general strategies against the upstart races (and necrons) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x4)

Eldar general strategies against the upstart races (and necrons)

As a new Eldar player (new as in my army is still half-done), I would like to hear what sort of strategies work for other people. I will be playing against 'Nids (nidzillas and meatshields), SpaM (lascannon heavy), Tau ('suit heavy), Chaos (no idea), and Necrons (also no idea).
    what are some strategies to keep in mind when playing against each of these races?

If anyone says ANYTHING about necrons and coffee (or cheese), the Nightbringer will eat your soul.

Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only things I can think of that would piss a Space Marine player off tremendously (Well, it would piss me off, and I'm a.. Well yeah.) would be at least one full Heavy Weapons battery of D-Cannons, and some Wraithguards. The whole "Wound on 2+ ignores armour saves at range" is bound to hurt. I guess since 'Crons and Spehss Mahreens have similar setups, this would work against them too.

The same goes for anything really heavy that isn't a vehicle I guess, so all the mentioned would work - Zillas and Tau suits, and of course Chaos Marines have the same inconvenient weakness to DEATH that regular Marines have.

I would also say Dark Reapers against heavy infantry (Again, Mahreens, Crons and Chaos) and Dire Avengers against lighter infantry (Tyrazerg) because of the whole 18" assault weapons thing. Running and shooting while pointing fingers and laughing ftw. Of course the fact that Gaunts have "Fleet" might be unhelpful, but there's only a 1 in 6 chance they can run all the way to charge you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x4)

I have DRs and DAs, so I feel moderately safer.

I don't know any local IG players, so if I were to get a d-cannon heavy squad they would be relatively safe. in fact, I believe that most of my weapons are of the "longer range than yours" variety (heh, my gun shoots farther than your gun), although I said the same thing in BFG (as Eldar Raiders) against a necron player. despite the 3x victory points he still got twice as many points as I did.

I'll look into them d-cannons, though.

2 minutes later

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN

*Purged by GM's specially trained Ninj- I mean the Imperial Inquisition.*

so a D-cannon support squad looks like this:

3 D-cannons, 6 guardians, (warlock)
    ~180 points. (depending on which warlock spell is chosen)

most of my units (squads, if you so prefer) cost more than that, for not nearly the bang-for-the-buck

though I wonder if it can instakill a force commander in his adamantium armor (immune to instakillage)
    Last edited by rafis117; February 2nd, 2009 at 21:38. Reason: potential violations of GM's copyrights were edited out
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    284 (x5)

Against Nidzilla go for a seer counsil the Wraithswords are jsut mean and with Doom up it's bye bye unit.

Cheers Jayz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x4)

If my current setup doesn't work I'll go out and buy a support squad. instead of like, a falcon (with a measly pulse laser, shuriken cannon, and bright lance)

and i have a seer council against nidzillas. and an autarch.

in fact, to give people a more specific idea of what my army looks like, keep reading:

--1441-- base point sum
    vs. specific army point sum
    --559--'Nids
    --559--Space Marines
    HQ

--183--Farseer
    With Singing Spear, Rune Armor, Runes of Witnessing, Ghosthelm, Shuriken Pistol
    Powers: Doom, Eldritch storm, Guide, Fortune
    Special Rules: Independant Character, Fleet of Foot, Psyker
    --136--3 Warlocks, Spiritseer
    All with Rune Armor, shuriken pistol, witchblade, 1 with Conceal, 1 with Destructor, 1 with Embolden, 1 with Enhance
    Special Rules: Warlock powers, fleet of foot, spiritseer

--103--Autarch
    With plasma grenades, haywire grenades, force shield (+4 invuln.) shuriken pistol, power weapon, fusion gun, mandiblasters
    Special rules: Independent character, fleet of foot, master strategist

Elites

--196--8 Striking scorpions, SS exarch, with Wave Serpent
    All with shuriken pistol, scorpion chainsword, mandiblaster, plasma grenades
    SS exarch with mandiblaster, scorpion's claw (can both be used as a power fist and a shuriken catapult in the same round), plasma grenades, biting blade, shadowstrike.

--165--Wave Serpent
    With Shuriken cannon, twin-linked bright lances, vectored engines
    Special rules: energy field.

--182--9 Howling banshees, HB exarch
    All with banshee mask, shuriken pistol, power weapon
    HB exarch with banshee mask, executioner (+2 S)
    special rules: fleet of foot

Troops

--95--5 Rangers
    With Eldar Sniper Rifles, shuriken pistols.
    Special Rules: Infiltrate, Move Through Cover, Stealth

--145--10 Guardians, 1 warlock, 2 guardians operating Starcannon
    All with Shuriken Catapults, 2 squad members operating Starcannon
    Warlock with shuriken pistol, Conceal, and wytchblade.

--95--8 storm guardians, 1 Warlock
    7 with Shuriken pistols and close combat weapons, 1 with flamer.

--145--7 Dire Avengers, DA exarch
    All with avenger shuriken catapults.
    DA exarch with diresword, shuriken pistol, bladestorm
    special rules: fleet of foot

Fast Attack

--247--6 warp spiders, WS exarch
    all with death spinner
    WS exarch with two death spinners (adds up to assault 4, IS NOT TWIN LINKED), powerblades

Heavy Support

--140--Wraithord
    With Shuriken cannon, flamer, bright lance, and wraithsword
    special rules: Fearless, monstrous creature, wraithsight

--190--Falcon
    With Shuriken cannon, pulse laser, bright lance, and holo-field.

--160--Fire Prism
    With 1 shuriken cannon, 1 prism cannon, Holo-field.

--160--Fire Prism
    With 1 shuriken cannon, 1 prism cannon, Holo-field.

--217--5 Dark Reapers, 1 DR Exarch,
    All with Reaper Launcher
    DR exarch with tempest Launcher, Fast shot
    Last edited by rafis117; February 3rd, 2009 at 04:13.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok i think that d-cannons are great for their cost, but last time i checked you cant post exact stats of anything in the codexs or rulebook, so you might want to edit them out.
    "stupid overtime zombie virus."
    "I'm glad that worked. Those would have been horrible last words."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark Reapers for the win. they won't knock down terminators every time, but against regular old 3+ saves they are a sure way to make your opponent hate your guts, personal opinion, either drop the storm guardians and use the points to fill out some other squads or suck them into your defender squad for more numbers there. yes, they get a couple of special weapons, but on the other hand, they take hits like a ming vase and there are already 2 aspect squads in the list for melee. as for them, i'd tailor for your opponent if you have the cash to get 2 squads of each. I've had scorpions get bound up for 3-4 turns on necron warriors with little to show for it and banshees are overkill on gaunts and don't get enough attacks to keep from going under the tide. used in the reverse however... you are in business. consider trimming the reaper exarch's wargear for some spare points. 3 reaper launcher shots is nothing to sneer at and costs less than the other options. aside from that, and you having too many options listed to use at once for heavy support, that category looks about perfect. For fast attacks, spiders are a nice go to unit, though consider Vypers for some extra heavy weapon death. also consider hawks against nids if they have lots of little stuff. you can keep ahead of the tide by outrunning them plus you can drop a big blast if you deep strike them. (good synergy with the autarch, making sure they will show up on time) plus they AP death gaunts in bulk. also good for kroot if you need them
    strategies to keep in mind: anything that you don't allow to get a save won't be back to haunt you next turn. this is especially important with necrons! whatever you can do to keep them down is a good thing, especially wiping the squad in melee with banshees. Also remember to prioritize on enemy CC units and heavy weapons. marines will lose in general to eldar melee units but they will cut apart everything else in the army like butter.
    also a general shot for eldar multi-weapon units: remember that since you can only target one thing anyhow, stack up weapons to be more effective against one thing at a time- it keeps them from surviving!
    good luck out there, and remember anything they can do, eldar can do better!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x4)

list colors have been reinstated. they didn't carry over from the google document and thus confused people

+ Reply to Thread