Hive Tyrant Assembly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hive Tyrant Assembly

Not sure if I should have put this into the "modelling" forum but I really need help. I have bought a new Hive Tyrant and crazy glue is NOT doing the job. Anyone here used metal glue or some form of welding putty?

What's the best way to keep this big guy together? I deeply appreciate the feedback!

~Ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Edson View Post
    Not sure if I should have put this into the "modelling" forum but I really need help. I have bought a new Hive Tyrant and crazy glue is NOT doing the job. Anyone here used metal glue or some form of welding putty?

What's the best way to keep this big guy together? I deeply appreciate the feedback!

~Ed

i find the best way with the games workshop super glue is to apply some to both surfaces, and then leave it in the fresh air for a minute or so, maybe blow on it a bit. and then put both pieces together. putting them together straight away usually doesn't work no matter how long you hold it. try that.
    oh and if the surfaces don't seem to match up just file or clip them a bit so they are flush with eachother.
    that fixes the problems i had so i hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just used a standard two-part epoxy. I use that stuff on much larger, heavier resin pieces (not related to gaming) and it holds perfectly fine.
    2009 Record:
    Sisters...
    vs Marines - 2/0/1
    vs Orks - 0/0/3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

I use standard CA super glue and only have had marginal problems.

Did you wash the pieces? GW puts an oil in the molds before casting that allows the cast and the mold to separate. They don't wash this stuff off and it won't allow glue to bond. I throw my larger pieces in to the dishwasher before assembly. You can use regular dish soap.

As for the actual gluing, try to keep the amount of glue down. The more glue you put on the joint the longer it takes to dry.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

I haven't got a tyrant yet (I'm just starting with Nids), but I'm guessing that this is not a plastic kit if you are having trouble with assembly.

With metal and resin models I always, always use pins. A little extra time at the building stage will save you heartache later when you beatifully painted mini falls to pieces in your case, or worse still his arm falls off on the table when you're playing - oh the embaressment!! :-)

I use 1mm copper wire for pinning and (obviously) a 1mm drill and normal GW superglue. Some people will tell you to use paperclips for the pins, but I dislike them as they are not quite 1mm and they don't take the glue as well as copper. You can also use brass rod (which I do for larger models at 2mm thickness), but this is harder to cut.

Another trick is to use GreenStuff as glue. if you have two funny shapes that need to go together and you know that you will have a poor surface bond. A small blob of greenstuff does the job brilliantly and can be used where you don't have the option of drilling a pin hole. I use this technique to stick back packs on as it's well hidden and pinning is fiddly and it works perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Oh and if it is a plastice model - polystyrene cement, sorry for the long reply :-)
    -------------------
    Check out my Blog for my Biel-Tan Apocalypse progress

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/blogs/daziel/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Daziel View Post
    I haven't got a tyrant yet (I'm just starting with Nids), but I'm guessing that this is not a plastic kit if you are having trouble with assembly.

With metal and resin models I always, always use pins. A little extra time at the building stage will save you heartache later when you beatifully painted mini falls to pieces in your case, or worse still his arm falls off on the table when you're playing - oh the embaressment!! :-)

I use 1mm copper wire for pinning and (obviously) a 1mm drill and normal GW superglue. Some people will tell you to use paperclips for the pins, but I dislike them as they are not quite 1mm and they don't take the glue as well as copper. You can also use brass rod (which I do for larger models at 2mm thickness), but this is harder to cut.

Another trick is to use GreenStuff as glue. if you have two funny shapes that need to go together and you know that you will have a poor surface bond. A small blob of greenstuff does the job brilliantly and can be used where you don't have the option of drilling a pin hole. I use this technique to stick back packs on as it's well hidden and pinning is fiddly and it works perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Oh and if it is a plastice model - polystyrene cement, sorry for the long reply :-)
    no plastic model exists. I used Epoxy glue, holds prefectly well, no problems at all.
    Quote of the Week (Number 3) - "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
    Ruina's Hive - My personal Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aight guys, I bought some of this glue called Loctite and I'll tell you all how it goes, I already applied some to the two legs and the tail bottom torso of the body. It's some scary stuff I can tell you, it already glued the 3 parts already....... I bought some epoxy stuff and I'll try that out if Loctite doesn't work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending on which type of loctite you got, you may never need to worry about the joints breaking apart.

don't glue yourself to the model. that wouldn't end well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three things:
    1. Make sure that as you put each part you you 'dry fit' it and then shave, file, bend and do whatever you have to to get the two parts to fit as best as possible with the maximum surface area.
    2. Dont be afraid to use green stuff as an adhesive. It works great and it will fill gaps at the same time. Also good for getting feet/hooves to stick to bases.
    3. Get zip-kicker. Its a super glue accelerant, and it actually makes the bond stronger. Apply super glue on one side, spray zip kicker on the other and touch them together. Viola!
    The same goes fore every metal model whether its big or small.

Good luck!
    Hive Flee Annoch

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box. -Italian Proverb

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I have put a few Hive tyrants together and there is one thing you really need. Breath! Super glue reacts to moisture not air. It was developed to be used in wars for quickly sealing soldiers wounds (as pointed out in Dog soldiers amoung other things). This is why it so easily sticks to your flesh more than anything else. Lick the areas of the Tyrant you want to glue, make them only a little damp. Then apply the super glue and breath on it but don't blow. The idea is the moisture in your breath will activate the super glue. Quickly press the parts together after twenty or so seconds and it will stick well.

I would suggest that you stick the Tyrant's upper body together first. Then stick the legs to the lower body and glue it to the base before you glue them all together. The head and arms can go on later. the wee claws on the ankles should go on before you glue the legs to the body as they are tricky. Also on the areas which will be getting the glue on them use a scalpel to apply lots of tiny cuts. These little scratches will fill with super glue and will aid it in forming a secure bond. Be careful not to apply these cuts to any area that will be vivible once you have glued it together and want to paint it.
    Last edited by Leech; February 6th, 2009 at 00:16.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast