Best Gaunt Variant in 5th - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Gaunt Variant in 5th

Hi all.
    I play a nidzilla army so I am not up to date on the latest horde tactics. On that note, I seem to have a question that you horde-nid players can help me with.
    I recently picked up the tyranid assault brood and now I'm faced with a choice. What kind of gaunts should i make out of the thirty-some in the box? I have about 45 terma, 25 horma and 0 death or spine.
    I was thinking some spine gaunts w/ toxin sacs and without number may work. They seem like they have the potential to actually wound a unit.
    Mad rambling aside, my main question is: Which gaunt variant has served you the best in 5th?

Thanks for all the input,

Ol' LobsterClaw

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

I personally always field Termagaunts if I'm running gaunts. The only way to get the same effectiveness from a spinegaunt is to give him TS thus making him cost more that a vanilla Termagaunt. I know a lot of people like the Spinegaunt for costing slightly less so they then take more. I fight too many MEQ armies to want my hail of fire guys firing at S3 instead of S4 so to me the one point is worth it. I will say that I've never seen someone run deathgaunts. They just aren't worth it unless you're fighting lots of T3 enemies and even then there are better options to deal with them.
    Tyranids & Daemons: Soul & Biomatter please.

LO Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by grantneodude View Post
    I personally always field Termagaunts if I'm running gaunts. The only way to get the same effectiveness from a spinegaunt is to give him TS thus making him cost more that a vanilla Termagaunt. I know a lot of people like the Spinegaunt for costing slightly less so they then take more. I fight too many MEQ armies to want my hail of fire guys firing at S3 instead of S4 so to me the one point is worth it. I will say that I've never seen someone run deathgaunts. They just aren't worth it unless you're fighting lots of T3 enemies and even then there are better options to deal with them.
    My all time favorite gaunt is Scuttling Spinegaunts. They move alarmingly fast - if you are deployed 23" or less (like the old cleanse 18") from the prey, you may get a 1st turn charge. 19" or less, and you're guaranteed a 1st turn charge.

And if you're farther away, they move so fast that they 1) screen everything in your army, and 2) scare your opponent, who then spends the next turn trying to kill them all.

Personally, I don't field gaunts to kill anything, other than GEQ's. Their job is to distract/tie up units until the rending units get there. The problem with 3+ saves is that you're gonna be lucky if they fail any saves, no matter how many hits you get. So I always rely on rending. Any kills from normal attacks (S3 or S4) are more like lucky bonuses.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that gaunts really don't kill things well. However, are spinegaunts with toxin sacs viable for when they inevitably are charged? Or are vanilla spine gaunts the best? Let's face it, a shooting phase with gaunts is a very rare thing. Oh, and if it helps, I run a list with alot of stealers, and fexes and/or warriors.

Thanks alot everyone,

Ol' Lobster Claw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 5th edition I dont see that it really matters.

Gaunts are good for exactly two things; taking objectives and being used as screens.

Thats it. Even with every biomorph they are still not any more effetive than they are at the 5 or 6 point level. Fleshborer is better, but you still have to be within 12" to use it.

Also, now that outnumber doesn't matter in CC gaunts are even worse in CC than they are at shooting...and that's saying something!

Furthermore, even at 5ish points gaunts are overcosted. How, you might ask, can a 5 point model be overcosted???

Well, as a comparison as to how much fleet (now basically worthless gaunts) was valued in 4th edition: a Termagaunt = 6 points, an ork boy = 6 points. Guess who wins that fight???

In conclusion....go cheap and dont ever take anyting other than a vanilla spine or termagaunt. WON is up to you. 1/3 of the time it sucks (KP mission) and 2/3 of the time it is great....
    Hive Flee Annoch

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box. -Italian Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Favorite gaunt? Hormagaunt with full adrenaline gland and toxin sacs; hasn't let me down even once, never. Twice now they've wiped the floor with TERMINATORS in no more than two turns, and they shred tactical marines with even greater ease due to the sheer number of attacks they pump out. The 12" charge also helps quite a bit, especially if you have some leaping Warriors to keep them in synapse range. Sure, they cost a lot but you are paying for some serious quality there, especially since they more often than not strike first due to AGs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ridell View Post
    Favorite gaunt? Hormagaunt with full adrenaline gland and toxin sacs; hasn't let me down even once, never. Twice now they've wiped the floor with TERMINATORS in no more than two turns, and they shred tactical marines with even greater ease due to the sheer number of attacks they pump out. The 12" charge also helps quite a bit, especially if you have some leaping Warriors to keep them in synapse range. Sure, they cost a lot but you are paying for some serious quality there, especially since they more often than not strike first due to AGs.

I am....surprised by this.

What size squad are you using? Any other tactics other than just running straight across the board?

I will say that I have had somewhat less succes with them....
    Hive Flee Annoch

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box. -Italian Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Annoch View Post
    I am....surprised by this.

What size squad are you using? Any other tactics other than just running straight across the board?

I will say that I have had somewhat less succes with them....
    The only brood size I have been using is 16, which is all my Hormies. I haven't really used any big tactics with them aside from running across the board and hugging cover where ever I can, trusting in their Move Through Cover and Fleet to get them through quick.

Also, they provide a mobile 4+ cover for my Warriors until the warriors can dig themselves in into some nice cover and pepper my foes' lines with one template after another. Sure, almost always, the Gaunts kick the bucket and get wiped out but not before they've gotten at least their points worth back in kills and anything extra has been just a nice bonus.

It really helps when you say to yourself "It doesn't matter, they are fodder and I have... about a few billion more of these" before running them to their inevitable and most likely gruesome death =)

+ Reply to Thread