New to Necrons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Necrons

Victorus aut Mortis Shad0w_Reaper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

New to Necrons

Hi all,

Ive just started to build a necron army, and I have a 1000point tournie coming up, and plan to run necrons in it. I was wondering if anyone could help me make a competetive list, and give general advice as to what to use in a necron list.

Cheers
    ~SR~

Space Wolves (Under Construction) | Circle of Orboros (Under Construction)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

List? well what KIND of list? We have Fear, shooty, attrition, and fast. Your option of sides include flying circus, cronzilla, wraithflight. For dessert we have a delicious chocolate torte.

It would REALLY help to know what play style you want, what you HAVE, what you like the looks of etc. I can give you advice, but I can't write a list for you as much. At least without some guidelines.

Welcome to Death, good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Alzer View Post
    List? well what KIND of list? We have Fear, shooty, attrition, and fast. Your option of sides include flying circus, cronzilla, wraithflight. For dessert we have a delicious chocolate torte.

It would REALLY help to know what play style you want, what you HAVE, what you like the looks of etc. I can give you advice, but I can't write a list for you as much. At least without some guidelines.

Welcome to Death, good luck.
    Atm I own a necron lord, a destroyer lord and the Deciever. I dont know much about necrons in terms of fear, flying circus, wraithflight etc. if you could explain them it would help considerably. I like the look of immortals and pariahs, though I havent heard good things about pariahs. Destroyers seem like a good option too. Id like either a shooty or mobile shooty army, or something based around the veil of darkness.

~SR~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Alright, well you're going to want to start with something along the lines of a battleforce box set. Gets you a pile of warriors, which you will of course need, and destroyers, which you will likely want.

VoD and Immortals IS flying circus actually. And we can work on some of the terms. With only 1k points to work with You're only going to have 500pts spare after getting the basic number of warriors for your troops and the Necron lord (w/ res orb).

My personal 1k list that i run right now is as follows. It's decent, and I must admit very fun to play. you could substitute the VoD and Immortals for destroyers (2 squads of 3 each) if you desire.

HQ: Necron Lord (ressurection orb, Veil of Darkness) - 200pts <provides res orb coverage, which helps your WBB immensely, and the VoD for mobility.]

Elt: Immortals x10 - 280 <your primary attack power]

Trp: Warriors x10 - 180 <required ,but they are nice to have around, warriors can tear up anything with good focus fire and are rather tough, don't get them in combat.]

Trp: warriors x10 - 180

FA: Scarabs x4 - 48 < I use scarabs as tarpit units, 4 will work to tie up an enemy squad for at least a round most times.]

HS: Tombspyders x2 - 100 < primary counter-assault and melee power. TS hit rather hard for their points, I'm a firm supporter.]

Total: 998
    Phase out: 7

All of these parts are powerful, but only work when used together and correctly. VoDing a squad of immortals in can leave the rest of your army vulnerable, not to mention high powered blast weapons can hurt them. Immortals tend to be a very survivable unit and can take a ton of punishment. Be smart where you put them though, such units as assault terminators or genestealers WILL wipe a squad in short order. Also remember that VoD can be useful for escaping as well, teleporting away just when your opponent gets to charge range (or into CC) and unleashing with the rest of your guns is very satisfying.

Necrons don't have a be-all end all unit. Note that most of our codex has highly specialized units, use them in conjunction to defeat your opponent and never run any one squad off alone to fight the whole battle. Certain units can go it alone for a turn or two, but don't expect to get them back (TS and scarabs often fill this roll for me, they're great distractions.)

Don't baby any of your units, they can take their punches, let them, just don't be reckless you're not invincible. Currently assault is were we get hurt the most, simply teleporting away can't work if your squad gets swept off the map. To this effect include some sort of melee units. And generally i avoid the "necron" assault troops since they're likely to get taken out and effect your PO.

I must admit, I've been playing necrons for several years and JUST used Pariahs, they take getting used to, very powerful attack, but not a whole lot of standing power (well granted T5 3+ saves) an experienced player can likely ignore them. I don't advise them until you get some of the other units down. They have a great model, and the rules are just about there, but missing SOMETHING to make them cost effective. (I-save or multiple attacks is the normal suggestion). Give them a shot in a friendly game sometime.

Also, for most units, go large squad sizes, having less than 8 models in a squad can cause trouble (jetbike units not included).

*breathes*

Fear, or otherwise CCrons, is a powerful way to field an assault army. Fear coming from flayed ones, pariahs, deceiver and necron lords in some mix. It uses the moral effects to send enemies running off the board, and leaving the survivors to an onslaught of powerful attacks. Also wraithwing (destroyer lord w/ two full squads of wraiths) is another option for assault, possible to add on any sort of list. Cronzilla (as many spyders as you can get and a C'tan) is an extremely expensive ($$) but effective alternative. Running it for 1k is possible (20 warriors, deceiver, 6 spyders).

Speed lists, tend to be more shooty, and include many destroyers and heavy destroyers. As well as teleportation (DS monoliths and VoD)

Shooty lists, which are most common, include destroyers, immortals, and often monoliths or tomb spyders for backup. Destroyers hit very hard, and can get to positions that most of our army can't with their speed.

I suggest using a strong core of warriors, average is 10 man squads for these, I like 11 or 12 myself. And once you reach 1.5k games, three such squads. Attrition (or warrior spam) is made up of many warrior squads 1-2 monoliths and res orb lords. I find it kinda bland sounding but most who use it like it.

Ah I almost forgot bug zapper! put a destroyer lord w/ lightening field in a 10-man scarab swarm.

*pants*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

Thank you so much for putting in the time and effort to respond like that. I think I will proxy your 1k list and see how it goes. Thanks again, youve given me lots to think about.

~SR~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

324 (x8)

Sure thing! Btw check out the indexes if you need, there's some quality in-depth stuff for most units in there. Also, good luck in your tournament. Any idea what you're facing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Alzer View Post
    Sure thing! Btw check out the indexes if you need, there's some quality in-depth stuff for most units in there. Also, good luck in your tournament. Any idea what you're facing?
    Well, as far as I know there will be Marines, Chaos, Orks, Nids, Eldar. Tau and Guard. Now all I need to do is make sure to by and build this by the 1k tournament.

How does your list fair against vehicle heavy lists? Thats something I came across alot in my last 1k tournie.

~SR~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

324 (x8)

Well admittedly the list has never faced vehicle heavy lists. If that's the case I'll suggest actually swapping immortals for destroyers. The extra range will likely help, as well as the flexibility of fire. Or dropping one scarab and giving the others disruption fields. This will allow them to sneak around the map and fly in to glance enemy side armor a few times.
    Gauss can often enough disable enemy vehicles but wiping them out for a kill point is a lot more work. Do your best to immobilize/weapon destroy enemy vehicles with gauss, once you get close enough, your tomb spdyers can mop them up. Potentially you could throw a warscythe on your lord as well to get those nice rear armor hits.

Again be very careful about getting charged. Against all your potential opponents you have the ability to win shooting. Tau and IG don't be afraid to charge in, especially with your spyders (really you should almost never be afraid to charge with a spyder.)

An "experienced" player will have been told to attack your warrior squads, keep them out of heavy firing lanes of anti-tank weapons etc. Keeping a bit of cover around can save you loads of pain. There are plenty of ways to keep your warriors alive without loosing their effectiveness. Use your army as a machine, all the parts inter-link to fulfill their rolls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry to put my oar in shadow reaper/alzer but I played a 1k tourny a couple of days ago. Im not a paticulary brilliant player but what won it for me was a monolith.Literally 30 warriors,lord with res orb,3 destroyers, monolith works wonders for me. just chuck the monolith right out in front,warroirs behind it,destroyers hiding. Turn 1, destroyers hop out and fire, monolith moves up and pw.Repeat until there close then move the monolith out the way and pw,rapid fire with warriors and charge with lord(thats right on his own might be un-conventional but there isnt normally much left for him to kill).Then consolidate back into unit.On the other hand alzers list looks awsome aswell your choice really
    Last edited by simplebut; February 11th, 2009 at 20:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

324 (x8)

How does the monolith list work against battle tanks? shadow said there would be Tau and IG around, which could potentially knock it out right off. Dunno either way, never used a mono myself. And admittedly it would be wonderful against orks and nids.

*thinks*

I know, look into the Neron Warrior phalanx, it'll have most of what you need for both of the suggested lists. Not to mention have you set for warriors upwards of 2k-2.5k games.

There's a Necron Warrior -> immortal conversion thread somewhere if yer feeling thrifty too. Depends on if you have more time or more money.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast