Orks vs. Space Marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orks vs. Space Marines

I am a brand new player who is going to be playing a lot against my cousin's space marines as soon as we get our models painted and assembled.

I know for sure we are starting with a 1000 pt list.

His army will include something like:

- 2 tactical marine squads (of 5 models each)
    - 1 devastator squad
    - 1 dreadnaught
    - 1 leader of some sort
    - 5 terminators
    - and a predator.

We both split the Assault on Black reach box up so currently I am sitting with:

- 5 nobs
    - 1 warboss
    - 20 Boyz
    - 3 deff koptas
    - also bought a box of the 3 warbikes

Wondering where I should go from here. I got a couple hundred in cash that I could blow, so no real problem there. (also not opposed to not playing with 1 or more of my current models).

So... What kind of issues am I gonna be up against with his Space marines and what should I be looking at buying next. (A battle wagon, a couple trukks, more bikes, etc...)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

More boyz would help a lot here. You could pick up a Battleforce to give you a lot more Boyz, a Trukk for your Nobs, and more Bikers to convert into Biker Nobs (very, very mean). Or, a couple boxes of boyz and some Trukks would work.

He's got lots of shooting, but not many scoring units or combat power beyond the Terminators and Dread. A heap of boyz under a Big Mek's kustom force field should do quite nicely.

You could try something like this, it's 750 points which is pretty much where your cousin's army stands.

Warboss w/ powerklaw, cybork body, 'eavy armor
    6 Nobs w/ cybork bodies, 1w/ powerklaw, Painboy, Waagh! Banner in a Trukk w/ red paint, reinforced ram
    12 boyz, Nob w/ powerklaw, bosspole, in Trukk w/ red paint, reinforced ram
    30 boyz w/ 3 big shootas and a Nob w/ powerklaw, bosspole

That adds up to around 750 points and gives you a big mob of boyz to run down his throat with 2 speedy Trukks to get them stuck in quickly. To bring it up to 1000, a Big Mek with a KFF and the Deff Koptas should round it out. That's 2 boxes of boyz and 2 Trukks.

If you want to go the speed freek route, 2 Trukks and a box of warbikes could take you places. Boyz in Trukks backed by Biker Nobs is a very potent combination.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, here's a couple of ideas (REP ME!!!)

His army will include something like:

- 2 tactical marine squads (of 5 models each)
    - 1 devastator squad
    - 1 dreadnaught
    - 1 leader of some sort
    - 5 terminators
    - and a predator.

So... What kind of issues am I gonna be up against with his Space marines and what should I be looking at buying next. (A battle wagon, a couple trukks, more bikes, etc...)[/quote]

you're going to be up against some serious firepower if it's a 1000 point game, with a tank, devastators and infantry. Your cousin will probrably try to whittle down as many as your number as possible before you get into combat. I'm guesiing he will try to equip those devastators with heavy bolters and missles/plasma cannons. This means he'll pump out such a large amount of firepower (even without the predator large blast template) that he can decimate most of your force within a couple of turns. The tank, devastators and dreadnought should be your prority- but this doesn't mena you should ignore his normal marines. Use your waaagh rule to full effect to make sure YOU get the first charge in. Against this list, i would recommend a battlewagon to get your ladz into combat as soon as possible, and zoom those deffkoptas and motorbikes along the flanks to elikinate those fire bases early, or too draw fire. March the warboss and nobz to his elite units, equip that nob unit with power klaws (they'll take away those 3+/2+ armour saves no doubt..). The armour saves are a bitch as well, so large mobs of boys will eventually break through it. This is a potential 4 attacks at strength 4, which should work through ost squads fairly fast. Also, the shokk attack gun is ESSENTIAL!!! this is one of the most useful and fun units in the game in my opinion) although slightly unreliable, they're worth it for entertainment, and if it does work it'll take swathes out of his attack force. Oh, and don't take heavy armour for infantry, as most of his heavy guns will punch straight through them.

That's probrably more than you were expecting, but i hope it's been useful to you. please pm me back and tell me how this advice works for you .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can never have too many boyz. With a couple hundred $$$ to blow, you might invest in the Green Tide box. 100 boyz with nobz and a warboss. That plus a few trukks will push you up to at least 1500 possible points, enough so you have some variety. Also, don't forget that as orks, we can loot anything. So, if you see a vehicle you like, you can buy it and make it all orky.

At 1k, I'm usually putting down 2 mobz of 30 boyz with a big mek with KFF and a looted wagon. That gives you long range cover while you run up the field, close combat punch and a decent save! I'll say, make sure to give your nobz for your boyz squads a power klaw and a bosspole. 30 slugga boyz with that nob, followed by 30 shoota boyz with the same nob and 3 big shootas will do well in almost any game.

Next on the list of priorities? Lootas. They are maybe the single best unit in the ork codex. You can make them out of regular boyz if you glue a few gunz together on them. Or you can buy the really nice loota box (although it gives you only 5 models).

Good luck.
    I'm trying to catalog every song with a reference to yetis or Sasquatch. Please help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"This means he'll pump out such a large amount of firepower (even without the predator large blast template)" -sergi

Um preds don't have a large blast template, I think you mean a vindicator...lol.

Definately looted wagons ALL THE WAY!!! 1st turn shot good bye devastators, 2nd turn 1st unit, 3rd turn 2nd unit.... LW are also good for drawing the enemy fire away... Since they are so deadly, but beware they do have a low armour value.

Big Meks are NO.1 for facing shooty armies, forget the warboss just take a mek with the kff... Keeps your boys alive with 5+ cover saves and gives your vehicles a 4+ cover save. Keep him close to your looted wagon to make it last longer and watch your cousins face when he thinks he has destroyed it, then you save it on a 4+....lol.

Big units of boys are great too, since they are fearless when there are lots of them.

Also, your cousin will be stuffed if you roll up the capture scenario. He has limited close combat, NO fast stuff, and to top it off only two units of 5 men that can capture objectives... Lol also if you guys roll up the dawn of war set up....lol...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Hmm...

Powerklaws! Marines can't stand up to powerklaws, so make sure you have at least one in every unit of boyz and bikes. Bosspoles are also invaluable for staying in the fight long enough to win (since marines rarely chicken out, and even if they do, they will be back).

I'd just run the nobz as normal boyz until you have a trukk. Nobz just don't last on foot. They're great in close combat, but they aren't any more resilient than 10 normal boyz. In fact, against heavy weapons, they're less resilient.

What you really need to do is split another assault on black reach set with someone. Either that or you need at least two transports. I'd get at least one transport no matter what. Bikes and deffkoptas are good, but you really need at least 5 of either to be effective. Would it be possible to convert the deffkoptas into bikes? If not, then you'll probably need more bikes or else they won't last long enough.

All things considered, I'd split another assault on black reach set with someone [$30], get another box of bikers [$35], and a trukk or looted wagon [trukk or rhino, $30-35].

Here's the 1000 point list I'd play:

HQ

Warboss on bike w/powerklaw, cybork [135]

TROOP

12 Slugga boyz in trukk w/nob, powerklaw, bosspole, ram [152]

23 Slugga or Shoota boyz w/2 big shootas, nob, powerklaw, bosspole [188]

5 Biker Nobz w/painboy (just paint him differently), cybork, powerklaw, waaaaugh banner, bosspole [350]

FAST

5 Deffkoptas w/big shootas [175]

Supercharge the biker nobz up the side of the board (so they can't be ganged up on) while your trukk and boyz on foot scurry up behind them. Try to hide behind cover if you can, using speed to press the fight to the marines before they can outshoot or outmaneuver you. Either rush up the deffkoptas or outflank with them, depending on whether or not you need them immediately. If your opponent has a lot of vehicles, I'd outflank and then go after back armor.

Good luck!
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; February 18th, 2009 at 17:14.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He'll likely also attempt to deepstrike those termies behind your lines, outfitted with long range weaponry and possibly inv saves. Be sure to have some way to counter them when they eventually appear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

marines are not hard to beat. compared to other armies they don't have all that much firepower. just take lots of boyz and maybe some nobs and you will easily drown them in attacks and power klaws.

i don't like the kff. if you don't already have a 4+ cover save, then there should be more terrain on the table imo.
    You?! No!
    --Famous last words of Asmodean

+ Reply to Thread