How to kill a Monolith? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to kill a Monolith?

How exactly does one go about killing a Monolith?

Can you destroy the flux projector? The rules never state that it is totally destroyed when it reaches 0 shots, but if we can, we need insane amounts of luck. With the new vehicle rules, the only way off the top of my head is a 6 on a Haywire grenade. We essentially need to get an Immobilised, 6 Weapon Destroyed or Immobilises, then another one, all the while glancing on 6s. What's the best way of dealing with them, or god forbid, multiple Monoliths?

I guess we can force them to phase out but its a hefty job...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

big squad of wyches, haywires. That's pretty much the only way I can see us getting it rid. Either that of stay away from it. You've got DE, they're manoeuvrable, with high S and AP weapons, stay away and blast at the crons with DLs, Dissies, etc. Hit those that you need to with incubi, power weapons are fun vs. crons. Plus incubi are a little less susceptible to its weapons.

Jetbikes and blasters could also be a viable choice in an army like this.
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh. I play with a 4 squad sniper backline. I'm just afraid that one will deep strike into their midst and disrupt

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

work on phase out. best way to do it i reckon. bit of of a cop out but hey, it works
    When in doubt, more Bloodcrushers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We really don't have any reliable way to kill a monolith. There are only 3 ways to take down a vehicle. Here is the breakdown:

Shoot it:

The strongest weapon we have is a Dark Lance. The lance rule makes them deadly against any kind of vehicle ... except the monolith. The living armor rule makes them immune to the lance rule, so the best result we can get is a glance. A vehicle cannot be destroyed with a glance unless it's immobilized and all weapons are destroyed. Unfortunately the particle whip cannot be destroyed. So this method will not work.

Raider Bomb!

We basically use our speed to ram the monolith. The rules state that we have to move in a straight line at full speed. With our raiders being armor 10 and not being a tank, our only strength modifiers are +1 for each full 3 inches moved. It is very unlikely we will be exactly 24 inches away, so the best we can hope for is getting a strength 7 hit. Again not enough to take down a monolith and our raider most likely kills itself.

Assault it:

Agonisers can only glance it. The Talos special close combat rule doesn't work, so it can't hurt it. This only leaves Haywire Grenades as our only option of defeating this god of a vehicle.

I have done a statistical analysis on Wyches with Haywire Grenades and have came up with the following results:

A squad of 10 Wyches with the 'nades have a 43.5% chance of destroying it if it didn't move. It becomes a 24.6% chance if it moved before you assaulted it.

This means that 10 wyches will most likely not destroy it on the charge. Maybe you'll get lucky. If they don't destroy it, your wyches are screwed. They are out in the open with nothing but their 6+ save that they probably won't get.

If you want to have at least a 50% chance to kill the monolith you will need 25 models with haywire grendes if it moved and 13 models with them if it was stationary.

Sooo all this is said to say. IGNORE IT!! The point cost and all the effort is not worth it. Monoliths are only 235 points while a squad of 10 wyches with nades and no upgrades and the raider to get them there are 215 pts. Spend your time using your range and mobility to stay away from him and focus fire with disintegrators and lances. If you must assault do it with at least 3 squads to 1 of his. You must destroy him in the first round of CC or he'll portal them out and you are dead from shooting next turn. Or use a Lord with Incubi to annilate and then sweeping advance his low initiative warriors.

Good Luck!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

a) ramming is impossible to do with raiders. They are not tanks.

b) even if they could, as you said, they cannot get more than st7, therefore cannot touch it. And boom goes the raider.
    Last edited by ArtificiallyEnhanced; February 23rd, 2009 at 18:01.
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes you are right. Raiders cannot ram. I thought it was a universal rule for vehicles. The +1 ramming modifier for being a tank is what confused me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

When assaulting necron warriors try to get into combat with 2 squads at a time (or even more if you can make a massive chain) with multiple units as this will allow you to either stay in combat for another turn (bonus) or wipe out two squads in one fallback move (also bonus) doingthis will heavily cut down the number of troops he has and get him closer to his all important phase out limit.
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragannia View Post
    Ugh. I play with a 4 squad sniper backline. I'm just afraid that one will deep strike into their midst and disrupt
    I've learned that the best way to deal with powerful deep strikers is to put all your units in reserve and try to go second. This drastically reduces the opponent's effectiveness, since his units will more often hit the board before yours. This allows you to react by putting your reserve units in more favorable positions than they might have been if deployed from the start. It will also limit the rounds of attacks leveled at your squads. Dark Eldar are great for reserves because they have a lot of speedy scoring units, allowing you to race for objectives if needed.

DL footsloggers are not great for this though, since they are relatively slow and can't shoot the important weapons on the turn they arrive. If you absolutely have to have them, just try to spread them apart so they don't all get hit at once. Then just try to glance the Monolith to reduce its impact while you go for other targets to cause a Phase Out.

--•-My 40K projects-•--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

monoliths

I destroyed a monolith just the other day I made a ran at it wth 9 wyches who had haywire grenades, hit on 4+ got one pentrating and then a 5, too bad he had 2 monoliths, but as far as i can tell its our best shot, and it leaves the necron player in shock as well as grumbling until the end of the tournament... heh

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast