ork nub looking for help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ork nub looking for help

Hi, I have just started playing warhammer i have a 1000 point army that consists of 2 fall of black reach sets and i was wondering what other units i'll need for competitive play.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Well it is generally accepted that biker nobz are insanely though and pack a seriously nasty punch. You might also want to loom into trukks to get your boyz to the scrap faster. Lootas are also a good investment as they can potentially deal some serious damage.

That was kind of a quick runthrough but basically what you have right now is a pile of boyz with not too much support. So back it up with some fast stuff and a few heavy hitters. You'll also need some nobz with powerklaws (you can convert a few of the blackreach nobz) for your boyz mobs.

Really it depends on what direction you want your army to take. Footslogging mob, balanced horde, kult of speed? There are a number of possibilities.

Grots also tend to come in handy for those objective based missions where you really don't want your boyz hanging back to hold some puny objective.
    Gargrimz Green Deff
    W:10 D:4 L:5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

comments

Yes that Black Reach box is the way to go. I found an ork player and exchange him for the marines. Then I just had to add a bunch more things as i keep changing my army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea Dwer i seem to find myself in the same place as you and i would suggest just taking some time looking around this website and some of the builds that people post. Also look at some posts with ork strategies because really it comes down to personal preference. It seems like there are a few general strategies that people take that Morkai already covered such as putting mostly all your points into warbikes, putting boyz into trukks, and then making one giant overwhelming boyz force. But really there are many more strategies that can be tried out and it's really just your personal preference! Or at least thats what i've gotten from this site so far

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DWER, Shabang22 is correct, it is up to you how your army grows. Let's take a look at what you have. You have two 20 boy mobz with 2 big shootas, 10 nobs, 2 warboss w/pk, and 6 deffkoptas.

The first thing you are going to want to do is get a nob with a power klaw and bosspole for those boyz mobs. The boyz mobs are really a 20 wound delivery system for the PK. The boss pole is there to help them get there. A nob with power klaw and bosspole is the standard build for a boyz mob.

Okay, that will make your boyz a little better.

Two things that you are lacking is speed and shootienss.

The deffkoptas are your only fast moving unit right now. You may want to get some biker nobs or some trucks. The bikers will allow you to get across the table and impact the enemy while your boyz walk/run across. The trucks will allow the boyz to ride into battle, but in much smaller groups. But they will get there really fast. That is where your individual taste comes in. More boyz moving slower, which gives the enemy more time to shoot them or fast movers with a lot less boyz. Or, a mix of sloggers and trucks. Your choice.

Now for shooting. All you have are four big shootas in the boyz mobz. You will need to get either a few boxes of regular boyz and build them as shootas or get some lootas. You can buy the lootas at four in a box or you can just get some boyz and build your own. I'd probably lean to the shoota boyz first as it will give you more troops to claim objectives and still give you a reasonable amount of shooty for everything except for tanks.

So, the choice is yours, either go with more boyz to improve your shooting (more boyz are never a bad idea) or add some nob bikers to pur some fast punch in your army.

The next thing you will want to do is help your boyz get across the table without taking too many casualties. For that you will need big mek with a Kustom Force Field. You can build one of those out of a regular boy or the mek that comes in a loota box if that is the way you go.

That is enough for now and should get you going for awhile. Hope this helps...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

I would suggest kunverting one of those Warbosses into a Big Mek with a Kustom Force Field. KFF Meks are pretty standard HQ's for most lists, and most competative lists don't run a Warboss unless they're intending to field a Biker Nob mob as a troop choice.

From there.. you've still got tonnes of options.. I would look through the codex and find the models you really like, and read through these forums to get an idea of general strategies.. then design a 1,500 point list and see what the experts think before you go making any big investments..

I'd say you're safe picking up another box or two of Ork Boyz as your next investment.. or even better, if you have a SM friend to split them with, grab up another two AoBR boxes.. You can never have enough boyz.. and the extra Nobz will be great for kunvershuns.

OR.. there are a few kunvershuns you can make with the AoBR set.. if you want to keep the whole thing..
    +Mega-Nobz (cut up the SM Termies and the extra Boyz to make MANz)
    +Biker-Nobz (same as above.. but cut up the Deff Koptas and Nobz and add wheels)
    +PK-Nobz (If you kunvert a Warboss or two into Big Meks.. you should chop off their Power Klaw.. you don't want your KFF Meks getting into combat, their job is to protect your boyz and let them do the krumpin.. so there's two PKs right there. OR you could chop up some extra choppas and a few pieces of Sprues to kustomize the rest of your PKs.)
    +Deff-Dread (orkify the SM Dreadnaught)

I'm not really sure what you could do with the extra Tactical Marines and Force Commander.. Sell them? Get a couple bucks towards your next investment.

Beyond that.. all I can really suggest is Battle Wagons!! Eh.. I'm a nut about them You can load up 19 boyz and a KFF Big Mek .. put a nice Deff rolla on your front armour.. and you've got a tough as nails, transportin' killy-machine.

Welcome to the Waaagh!!
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Hmm

There's two ways to go: hordes or speed, and either way, you'll definitely need the following:

1. A big mek w/Kustom Force Field. I agree with BossGoreStompa, the big mek w/KFF is the best HQ the Orks have. It not only gives everyone a 5+ cover save, but it also obscures all your vehicles around him (including the one he's riding in), effectively giving the vehicles a 4+ save.

2. At least one fast troop unit. The 'capture the one objective in your opponent's deployment zone' mission is almost impossible to win without one. You'll need either a single trukk, looted wagon, battlewagon, or a group of nob bikers. Even if the rest of your army walks on foot, you need at least one unit that can rush up the field quickly. (other armies can outflank and deepstrike in to achieve this, but Orks don't have a troop option that can reliably do either)

3. Grots/Gretchin. I always play with at least one unit of 10-16 grots w/1 runtherder, just to claim objectives or stand in front of the rest of my army. They've consistently won me games in the 'capture the d3+2 objectives' mission just by sitting in my own deployment zone, on an objective. In other missions, they're still dirt cheap and very effective.

4. Shootiness. You need units that can shoot up the enemy without costing an arm and a leg. Warbikes work, as do deffkoptas with big shootas, killa kans, shoota boyz, and warbuggies, but the best unit is probably Lootas. Loota sets are expensive though, unless you do what I did, and use the burna bits in the set to convert regular boyz into more lootas. That way you can get 8 lootas and a mek w/big shoota from each set (as long as you have 4 extra boyz to convert).

As for the rest of your army, it depends if you want numbers or speed.

If you want numbers, then you'll need a lot more Orks. I'd look on ebay for some deals, or if you want to buy retail, the green tide box set is probably the best deal. In any case, you'll need at least 60-90 boyz total. You'll also want at least one unit of 20-30 shoota boyz. Some killa kans might also be nice, but I wouldn't buy them retail (they're too expensive). I converted mine out of barrels from a terrain set and some extra guns.

If you want speed, then you'll need at least 3-4 vehicles or units of nob bikers. Slugga boyz in trukks, shoota boyz in battlewagons, or meganobz in either work beautifully, as do nob bikers (although they're expensive in points).

In any case, good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the help everyone and hopefully i'll be able to waaagh up the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also if you get a box of lootas you can..

1. build the burnas
    2. File the shoulders flat on some of your AOBR boys (try and get the ones with squared shoulders.
    3. Attach loota rig to your armless boys

There you go 4 lootas 4 burnas and a mek in one box!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Or...

Or you could just make 8 lootas and 1 mek. ^_^

Sorry, but with the new 5th edition rules, the burnas aren't nearly as good a choice anymore. Sure, they're great at killing infantry/horde/bugs, but so are slugga boyz, shoota boyz, and any variety of nobz w/combi-scorchas, and all of those units can also count as a scoring troop. Since they can't claim objectives (which come up every 2 in 3 games now) the burnas just aren't nearly as effective anymore.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast