Big choppas on nobz? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big choppas on nobz?

I bought a Nob box today. I intend to make slugga and choppa nobz out of them, but after I looked at the bits in the box, the big choppas attracted my attention. The realy look brutal and cool, but are the effective? Or should I ignore them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are good if you want them to be. They are an all-round weapon. They give +2 to your strength, but you do not recieve benefit from have 2 close combat weapons, because the Big Choppa requires 2 hands to use. On the charge you get 4 Str 7 Attacks per Nob, which is pretty good for 5 points. Also good for taking out tanks and transports. I like them on bikes - I think they are great.
    Red ones goes faster - it's true :)
    Ork Freebooter Crusaders!
    3/0/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Against t5+/any vehicle on the charge they are superior. Against t4 charging they are the same, against t4 not charging they are better, and against t3 they are worse, however they can instant-death multi-wound t3 models. They also have the ability to actually hurt a12 or 13 and can penetrate av11 where sluggas and choppas can't.

All around they are better choice than sluggas and choppas, however for a regular nob the big choppa upgrade encompasses around 25% of it's normal cost, which is pretty hefty. On a biker nob, it only encompasses 11.11% of the cost so is generally more worth it.
    "...a swarm of mechanised locusts sweeping over the land, stripping it bare of resources, bringing death and destruction to anything that stands in its path. Emperor preserve us against the predations of these so-called Orkish cults of speed!" - Cardinal Nomura at the Conclave of Hessen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Post 250!!!

In biker nob squads, yeah they're good, if only for the different wargear cheese. Or in a regular nob squad, once again multi wound wargear cheese. But a nob leading a group of boyz? Out of the question. Power Klaws! The Power Klaw is your best friend. Big Choppas arn't taking out monsterous creatures, terminators, and tanks. Big choppas aren't the reason you pile your boyz in a trukk full speed ahead. It's the powerklaws. PK's are Gork and Mork's gift.

Bottom line- If your fielding nobs in squads, a big choppa or two won't hurt. Like you said they look cool. If by themselves leading units of boyz- POWER KLAW.
    My award winning Orky tale

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

I'd say they are pretty good....though I haven't had the opportunity to try them out.

Essentially, you're trading hits for wounds....so you'll only get the standard 3 attacks during non-charging combat....but you're almost guaranteed to wound on every hit you get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Big Choppas in my Nob Bikerz Mob, not too bad, I'm losing out much by giving it to them, plus they pack one hell of a punch.

I also stupidly gave one to my Warboss (because S7-8 is pretty sweet, and cheap), but after 2 or 3 games I've hacked him apart and given him a Power Klaw, he can actually kill things now.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

Big Choppas are a sound investment on Nob skwadz. But I would use them sparingly unless you have spare points after you've finished your list.

Just remember, Nobz in Boyz mobz MUST take a Power Klaw. This is da law uv da Big Green! Actually.. Nobz in all mobz should have Power Klaws, and make sure that you have one in your Nob skwad before you start investing in Big Choppas.

The over all effect.. Don't use them against Guardsmen or other similar armies with a lot of low toughness units. They're best used to hack out a few wounds against monstrous creatures while still retaining initiative. Example being a Carnivex.. could outright kill half your mob before they get to use their PK attacks. One PK + a few Big Choppas would work wonderfully there.

Edit: And I wouldn't go overboard buying them either.. It would usually be nothing more than overkill and then some. Against Marines, you're already wounding on a 3+/4+ (Furious Charge/Normally), Guardsmen you're already wounding on a 2+/3+, likewise against most smaller Nids.. Eldar.. Tau.. Crons.. etc etc.. But if you've got the points to spare, they're a worthwhile investment just to have a few weapons that have a better chance of hurting high T units, and a cheap way to take out AV 12 and under.
    Last edited by BossGorestompa; March 1st, 2009 at 20:19.
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

AKM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

All your mob-leading nobz should have PKs.

For a nob squad, the big choppa is decent without being great, but the models equipped with 'em look so good that I have 2 in my Nob mob.
    "Politics is the womb in which war develops"
    Clausewitz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I already knew about nob squad leader need power klaws. I once haven't done it (gave my warbiker nob a big choppa) and I got beaten by tau fire warriors >_>". Pulled the arm right off when he died and replaced it with a power klaw.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrassil View Post
    Pulled the arm right off when he died and replaced it with a power klaw.
    Good disizshun, Painboy. Dat Nob din't compain once since 'e star'd skwishin Grots wit 'e's new klaw! Da rest dem Nob boyz is all jealous now.. but I tells 'em dey'z gotta earn dey'z gubbinz!
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast