ork player questions about eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ork player questions about eldar

I just fought an pretty good list although I won there were a few things I had to question.

Myopponent played with the eldran farseer guy. He would doom one unit then assault or attach another and claimed doom wasnt a shooting attack is this correct.

Also harlequins with their targeting. Now I was under the impression that if one person within the unit that made a successful targeting range as long as the rest of the units weaponry had range the would not have to be limited to the range rolled to see the harlequins
    ie: ork player has 20 shooters with a range of 18". Harlequins are 12" away. the ork player rolls a 12 for targeting the eldar unit. the orkplayer has 10 models within 12" and the rest of the ork unit is between 12" & 18" of the harlequins.

How many orks are allowed to shoot at the eldar. I would assume all but I was told on the ones in the targeted range were allowed to shoot. Meaning 10 of the 20 would be able to shot because only 10 were in the 12" sight distance.

Capitals please!

Last edited by Skarsgard; March 3rd, 2009 at 00:20.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Doom is not a shooting attack

how many orks are allowed to shoot at the eldar. i would assume all but i was told on the ones in the targeted range were allowed to shoot. meaning 10 of the 20 would be able to shot because only 10 were in the 12" sight distance.
    I'm not pure 100% of this, but generally, what you can't see you can't shoot. I believe that any models out of sight range would be considered out of gun range.
    Don't bother having anything more than meaningless small talk on this forum, the moderators won't allow it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_smoke View Post
    how many orks are allowed to shoot at the eldar. i would assume all but i was told on the ones in the targeted range were allowed to shoot. meaning 10 of the 20 would be able to shot because only 10 were in the 12" sight distance.
    If one man can see, the whole unit can see. on pg.95 of the rule book it says you measure from unit to unit.
    "stupid overtime zombie virus."
    "I'm glad that worked. Those would have been horrible last words."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by wht_rbbt View Post
    If one man can see, the whole unit can see. on pg.95 of the rule book it says you measure from unit to unit.

Incorrect. P. 95 refers to Nightfighting and has absolutely nothing to do with VoT

I just looked it up in the Eldar Codex:

Quote Originally Posted by "Eldar Codex p. 49"
    Any enemy unit wishing to target the Shadowseer or the unit she is with must roll 2D6X2. This is their Spotting distance in inches. If models are not within spotting range, they may not fire that turn.
    So, codex'd, only ork models WITHIN the spotting distance may fire.
    Don't bother having anything more than meaningless small talk on this forum, the moderators won't allow it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, any enemy "unit". It use's the word unit when refering to a squad and model when refering to a particualr guy. Under farseer powers, "Doom...farseer may target any non-vehicle unit...", and under mind war "...the Eldar player may choose any unengaged model..."
    Hope that clears things up.
    "stupid overtime zombie virus."
    "I'm glad that worked. Those would have been horrible last words."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, the unit rolls the spotting distance, and then it says models that aren't within the spotting distance can't shoot. So models within the unit can't shoot farther than the spotting distance, at least that's how it looks to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As bad as it is normally for me, I've always used VoT along the lines of "if the enemy spots anyone in the squad they all see me". Kind of the mentality that anyone who can see the enemy would just tell the rest of the squad to fire where he is firing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Yes, any enemy "unit". It use's the word unit when refering to a squad and model when refering to a particualr guy. Under farseer powers, "Doom...farseer may target any non-vehicle unit...", and under mind war "...the Eldar player may choose any unengaged model..."
    Hope that clears things up.
    Except it only says unit in reference to the roll. It very specifically says "Models not within spotting range may not fire this turn"

This is not rules interpretation, this is rules reading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, technically, it says "If THE models are not within spotting range..." To me, this doesn't specify different models within a unit. If they meant for some models in a unit not to be able to shoot, I'd think they would write "Any models that aren't within spotting range". Maybe I'm overanalyzing it, but that's just what my opinion is based off of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Conquahex View Post
    Well, technically, it says "If THE models are not within spotting range..." To me, this doesn't specify different models within a unit. If they meant for some models in a unit not to be able to shoot, I'd think they would write "Any models that aren't within spotting range". Maybe I'm overanalyzing it, but that's just what my opinion is based off of.
    Your argument is mine. If the models are not within spotting range, they may not shoot this turn. You've simply changed the ending by some bizarre reasoning.

Therefore, models not within spotting range may shoot this turn. They specifically said "models" and not "squad" "unit" or even "elfdar".

Units roll 2d6 for sight. Any models within that unit and using that roll not within sight range cannot see the harlequins well enough to shoot them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast