Facing new codex space marines? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Facing new codex space marines?

I'm returning to harass the mon-keigh after an extended break. I hear the Space Marines have some new toys from their new codex. Has anyone faced them? Are there any new tricks or toys I should look out for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my games against the SM the only problem I've had is the 3+ armour save.
    So at least I haven't encountered any toys of devastation.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

My biggest fear is the Thunderfire Cannon, one is bad but two is devastating! It drops 4 templates and even in cover I tend to lose whole squads of warriors everytime it fires.

I also do not care for Vulkan as he seems to be in every list where I play so its flamers and meltas a plenty. I haven't seen much of the other yahoos.

If you want to gear up for marines then the biggest suggestion and trend lately is taking 3 ravagers with 3 disintegrators each. Wyches are always nice but I am starting to experiment with more Incubi lately so perhaps a Dracon with 5 incubi would be an option.

I also like taking horrorfex's on my raiders as they seem more effective with the 5th ed rules.

Lords on bikes and bike squads are popular but I skip them - if they are outfitted with punishers though they would make good marine killers.

The one thing that I have capitalized on and seems to work against the marines is taking advantage of their small scoring unit count. Knock out their transports and let them walk and suddenly they can barely make it to an objective. I usually let them take one objective but then send an empty raider on the last turn to contest it. I try not to let them know thats my plan and I have snatched many games from unsuspecting players who do not understand how mobile we can be.

Hopefully you get to play objective missions, I haven't figured out how to win in killpoints when I normally double his killpoints to begin with.

Good luck and happy hunting!
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whirlwind drop pod combo. Whirlwinds have rounds that can ignore cover. It's tough, it sucked.
    Help the kin TAKE your soul, I mean, take your soul...
    I play Vassal. I'm in V40K Open Ladder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The whirlwind is scary but not so much when everything is mounted. Against marines i use a raider rush from reserves. Drop pods arent such a big deal since they will come in before i do. The game actually starts on turn 3, meaning the game will end sooner without too many marine shooting phases. I concentrate on wiping out troop units with most of my units. I have a talos come in to get them off my objective and a footslogger squad to hold it until the game ends along with the talos. The incubi are great against marines, no marine unit except for assault termies can stop them in CC. Assault termies are the only real problem ive had since once they get on your objective getting them off isn't easy.

edit: I should add that all my friends feel that kill points are dumb and so we usually only play objective missions, if we do end up doing an annilhilate mission we use victory points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jsullivanlaw View Post
    Drop pods arent such a big deal since they will come in before i do. The game actually starts on turn 3,
    Drop pods can come out on turn one though can't they due to the drop pod rule??

and the list I used against my battle with the drop pod whirlwind combo includes a number of footloggers and not enough radiers( 2 to be exact ).
    Help the kin TAKE your soul, I mean, take your soul...
    I play Vassal. I'm in V40K Open Ladder.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Thanks for this, gentlemen. I've been following the discussion on Incubi and they certainly do look worth a shot, particularly since even if they can't fleet, they can still run.

I believe I'll be facing Salamanders, so that'd be Vulkan. He's a close combat monster, right? One of the new ones with a 3+ (or 2+? ) invun save? And I bet his doesn't fritz out after one hit, either.

I'm gratified that dark lances have a longer range than meltas. Popping transports is de rigueur.
    Last edited by andrewthotep; March 6th, 2009 at 23:18. Reason: spellinge!

+ Reply to Thread