Infiltrating/Outflanking Stealers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x1)

Infiltrating/Outflanking Stealers

In my next game I plan to use a broodlord with a genestealers retinue and 2 units of scuttling 'stealers and was wondering if anyone care to share their tactics with infiltrating/outflanking stealers. We will be using standard missions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure i have an actual tactic for them other than run in and start tearing things up from squad to squad. go psycho with them basically right? haha seems to work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x1)

No doubt your opponent will dig in with that much outflanking so flesh hooks might come in to scale walls and eat things regardless. I saw a friend of mine do that once, priceless. Stealers outflanked and ran on top of a building and proceeded to munch up all the dark reapers up there. Eldar player not amused.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

You might try a brood or two of your Gaunts with scuttlers too. Gaunts could arrive at the same time as your Genestealers. Position them as they arrive so that they are in the best position to give your Genestealers cover saves and distract your opponent. This may be helpful if your Genestealers don't arrive close enough to assault anything. Raveners (lovely and cheap with the deathspitter, no miss just scatter blasts in 5thED) could be handy deepstriking to add to the confusion and one Ravener on it's own will be easily overlooked and become pesky. Spore mine clusters can also help by landing on a threatening unit. I doubt it would be a good idea to use all of these types to help your Genestealers, just a few to help stir things up.

You can't control if any of these things will arrive at the same time as the Genestealers though. You also don't want too much of your army off the table earlier in the game as the rest of your swarm may be too heavily out numbered and be butchered wholesale. Then your opponent waits for the rest of your swarm and kills them too. Because of this I would suggest the Gaunt broods be of the smallest size and if you have them the cheapest variety, Spinegaunts.
    Last edited by Leech; March 10th, 2009 at 16:47.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

It depends on 1 how many points (total number of units you're bringing) and who your opponent is. On the whole I ALWAYS bring my broodlord and his boys like that, I don't know if I would bring too many squads in such a manner though, since there should be enough on table turn 1 to distract and what not.

It really boils down to the level of experience you have... or rather if you have ever felt the pain of not having half your army show up till turn 5 or 6...

I don't know if I would roll 3 Genestealer squads that way... maybe the two and some guants (Great Idea there!)
    "The Lady Demands"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

96 (x1)

It depends on 1 how many points (total number of units you're bringing) and who your opponent is. On the whole I ALWAYS bring my broodlord and his boys like that, I don't know if I would bring too many squads in such a manner though, since there should be enough on table turn 1 to distract and what not.

Its 1700 pts and my opponents will be random (tourny), here's my list (http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1379352).

Please note that, I am not so sure about the warriors anymore, I am considering replacing them with a second carnifex.

It really boils down to the level of experience you have... or rather if you have ever felt the pain of not having half your army show up till turn 5 or 6...

Actualy I was thinking about deploying the broodlord in infiltration and the two stealers squad with outflanking.

Adding 8 scuttling spinegaunts would be a great idea. I think it will work better than WON considering my list (worst case scenario they run, lurk and irritates the opponent like Leech said).

EDIT:
    The more I think about it, the more it is clear that a Lictor would be the best supporting unit for infiltrators/outflankers. It has an irratating cover save, can provide CC support for any stealers unit and best of all you can re-roll one reserve roll each turn.

The major problem I see with 8 scutlling gaunts (apart for the easy kill point) is the synapse availability in their second turn.
    Last edited by dapredator66; March 11th, 2009 at 01:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Leech View Post
    Raveners (lovely and cheap with the deathspitter, no miss just scatter blasts in 5thED) could be handy deepstriking to add to the confusion and one Ravener on it's own will be easily overlooked and become pesky.
    I thought raveners where only allowed a devourer?

Anyway, just try to imagine as your opponents the following: "where do I not want those genestealers?" If you can answer that question for your opponent, you know where to put them
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

96 (x1)

Here's a general tactic I thought of based on two games I played recently. I think it applies well to any capture and control objective with either dawn of war or pitched battle deployment.

My observations first: in both games I choose first my capture point and placed it near one of the corners of my deployment zone. In both cases, my opponent chose his on the opposite corner (poor Tyranids, they have no fast vehicles...)! The result of one game was a draw simply because I was never able to reach the capture point. The second time, I managed to sit on the point with a carnifex (which was in CC with a tactical squad while the other point was occupied by terminators w thunder hammers and 2 tactical squads vs 1 flying hive tyrant, close call as these were the last two models in play!!!).

What I conclude is that you can subtly suggest the enemy to place his control point (and hence troops) near the table edge if you place the first control point in a corner. I think this would results in a lot more chance to get some juicy target near the table edge (with outflankers). It is also a lot more difficult for your opponent to shoot the genestealers since you have a good chance to charge in the turn they appear (and you have 66% of chance to have the table edge side you want).
    Following Leech comments, I would add a smallish gaunt brood with scuttlers and a lictor (cost more than a ravener, but the reserve re-roll is priceless I think) to add to the confusion. The gaunt brood would probably try to sit on an objective point and lurk while the lictor is more of a diversion (nasty Lictor hiding <<< shoot me please).

I see two worst case scenarios: 1. You use outflank and get the bad table edge (you can reinforced your own capture point). 2. The enemy is aware (or not) you have outflankers and places the control point in the center. In this case the control point is at least easier to reach. I am not sure I would use outflanker. I would use the free move if this would be the case.

So guys anybody sees a flaw or want to add something.

EDIT: If the control point is in the center and you have the dawn of war scenario, scuttlers are pretty useless!
    Last edited by dapredator66; March 12th, 2009 at 02:42.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Xilconic View Post
    I thought raveners where only allowed a devourer?
    Raveners can get deathspitters, spinefists or devourers. They have a list in their codex entry which tells you. The weapons Raveners use are odd because they use them along with their normal weapons and they are thorax weapons and you don't show them on the model. You also don't have to pick any of those weapons if you don't want them. You do have to take either the two pairs of scything talons or the scything talons and rending claws.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Xilconic View Post
    Anyway, just try to imagine as your opponents the following: "where do I not want those genestealers?" If you can answer that question for your opponent, you know where to put them
    That's it in a nut shell! As to the rest it sounds like you have a good plan right now anyway, please update how it goes for you ok!
    "The Lady Demands"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast