Questions - Crack shot, Spiders, Tank Shock, etc... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Questions - Crack shot, Spiders, Tank Shock, etc...

1- Does the Dragon/Reaper exarch ability "Crack Shot" apply to the cover save for obscured vehicles?

2- Does the Warp Spider Generator allow a unit of Warp Spiders to deep strike as indicated in the 5th edition rules? i am asking if 5th edition made the exarch ability obsolete.

3- Can Fortune be used on "obscured" or "flat-out" vehicle's cover saves?

4- Can Star Engines allow two Tank Shock actions in one turn?

5- Does the Swooping Hawk Grenade pack 'scatter' 1D6 or 1D6-4 (minus Hawk's BS) due to the new 5th edition scatter rules.

6- What does Prince Yriel's "Master Strategist" do?

7- Can "Hit and Run" be used if the opposing combatants are wiped out?

8- What is an "Executioner" on pg23 as referenced by Maugan Ra?

9- Does the Farseer and 3-10 Warlocks count as a single unit? There is no reference to whether or not the Warlocks are part of a retinue or not.

10- Can a transport carry two separate units? Can I stuff two squads of Avengers into a single transport?

I know these questions are rather specific, and I am not asking for exact stats. I am curious where I would find the rules for questions 6 and 8.
    Additionally, I know question 4 has been argued to death. I am just curious if there is a common consensus. I personally enjoy tank shocking and ramming partially because it's rather antithematic to the Eldar.

EDIT: Changed "Vectored Engines"to "Star Engines"

Last edited by Absolutionis; March 11th, 2009 at 05:25.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

It came from the warp... Fleeting Ęther's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Absolutionis View Post
    1- Does the Dragon/Reaper exarch ability "Crack Shot" apply to the cover save for obscured vehicles?
    I would assume so, a cover save is a cover save after all

2- Does the Warp Spider Generator allow a unit of Warp Spiders to deep strike as indicated in the 5th edition rules? i am asking if 5th edition made the exarch ability obsolete.
    Yes, the power is now obsolete

3- Can Fortune be used on "obscured" or "flat-out" vehicle's cover saves?
    A cover save is a cover save, so I'm pretty sure this is acceptable

4- Can Vectored Engines allow two Tank Shock actions in one turn?
    It's star engines, but I'm not sure about this one

5- Does the Swooping Hawk Grenade pack 'scatter' 1D6 or 1D6-4 (minus Hawk's BS) due to the new 5th edition scatter rules.
    Most likely it's the full D6, as it has specific rules about how to use it, and Codex overwrites rulebook

6- What does Prince Yriel's "Master Strategist" do?
    Same thing as the regular Autarch does

7- Can "Hit and Run" be used if the opposing combatants are wiped out?
    No, as the unit is not locked in combat at the end of the assault phase

8- What is an "Executioner" on pg23 as referenced by Maugan Ra?
    Same thing as the Banshee exarch weapon

9- Does the Farseer and 3-10 Warlocks count as a single unit? There is no reference to whether or not the Warlocks are part of a retinue or not.
    The Warlocks are a seperate unit, not a retinue as the Warlocks are stated as being a squad in of themselves

10- Can a transport carry two separate units? Can I stuff two squads of Avengers into a single transport?
    Transports say they can only carry a single unit

I know these questions are rather specific, and I am not asking for exact stats. I am curious where I would find the rules for questions 6 and 8.
    Additionally, I know question 4 has been argued to death. I am just curious if there is a common consensus. I personally enjoy tank shocking and ramming partially because it's rather antithematic to the Eldar.
    Answers in red
    Last edited by Fleeting Ęther; March 11th, 2009 at 05:23.
    Scratchbuilding Fire Prism Crystals
    2K Mech Eldar in 2010: 25Win/4Lose/8Draw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Thank you.

As for "Master Strategist" and the "Executioner", I constantly neglect the actual names of abilities/wargear and focus on the abilities. Plus, I never use Banshees anyways. It seems the Eldar Codex is flawed in what page it refers you to for those two references.
    Additionally, I neglected to notice that Spiders are classified as "Jump Infantry" Thanks.

As for the other rules, it is good to know the rulings are exactly as I thought they would be. I am still unsure about the Star Engines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x3)

5th ed p68
    When moving a tank, the player can declare that the
    vehicle is going to attempt to make a tank shock attack
    instead of moving normally.

Eldar p44
    It may move an additional 12" in lieu of shooting

The bolded phrase (IMO) indicates the normal movement phase, star engines being a special move not normal to basic tanks.
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    http://www.gamesandhobbies.com/ New Location Open on the north end!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for number 9, I was under the impression that they do count as a single unit... but I'll have to go read the codex I guess. You can still put them in a WS as it would be like an IC joining a unit which is allowed.

The tank shock thing has been argued over and over. I tend to think that it would be allowed to make a second tank shock. While we know GW rules don't make sense generally, it would seem that any vehicle moving at a group of infantry would cause tank shock, no matter when it was moving. It isn't when that is causing the infantry to be scared and run away, it is the fact that a vehicle is moving at them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by EldarNewb View Post
    for number 9, I was under the impression that they do count as a single unit... but I'll have to go read the codex I guess. You can still put them in a WS as it would be like an IC joining a unit which is allowed.

The tank shock thing has been argued over and over. I tend to think that it would be allowed to make a second tank shock. While we know GW rules don't make sense generally, it would seem that any vehicle moving at a group of infantry would cause tank shock, no matter when it was moving. It isn't when that is causing the infantry to be scared and run away, it is the fact that a vehicle is moving at them.
    For each farseer you can take a squad of warlocks together counting as a single HQ choice. The farseer remains an independent character and the warlock a separate squad.
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    http://www.gamesandhobbies.com/ New Location Open on the north end!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

And another question:

11- Can a Farseer inside a Wave Serpent use Fortune on the Wave Serpent itself?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with torden on the farseer and warlocks question. If it weren't like that it would suck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absolutionis View Post
    And another question:

11- Can a Farseer inside a Wave Serpent use Fortune on the Wave Serpent itself?
    Yes he can. If you look hard enough I think you can find this in the FAQ, but I'm not sure about that.

Here's a related question.

12- When a Farseer with a unit inside a Wave Serpent uses Fortune on it at the beginning of the turn is it on the whole unit, ie the WS and the Farseers unit. Basically, if the Farseer and unit disembark in the movement phase do both the WS and the Farseers unit get the save reroll?
    Last edited by EldarNewb; March 12th, 2009 at 20:10. Reason: Added question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Seeing as how the units inside a transport are a separate unit than the transport itself, Fortune does not carry over to the units inside. the Farseer can fortune either its own unit or the transport, but not both.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast