Pointers for my army building... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pointers for my army building...

Hello, again, how you must hate post like these huh?

Anyhow, someone might be able to give me some advice, pointers and useful info since I'm brand spanking new to this.

Models at my disposal (unassembled as of yet):

1x Hive Tyrant (don't want to convert this one into a flying tyrant)
    3x Tyrant Guards

1x Broodlord

6x Warriors (walkers)
    1x Lictor

16x Genestealers
    16x Hormagaunts
    16x Termagaunts
    4x Ripper bases

2x Carnifexs

1.) I don't want to go through the process of making a flying Hive Tyrant, which leads me to the question on how to effectively cover my faster troops with synapse.

Edit: Neither my Tyrant nor my Warriors will be winged, thus they'll be walking. Is that to slow, will the broodlord be alone at the front?

Do I need a Zoanthrope or what do I do?

2.) I want to use a fast agressive CC army, I don't really like shooting bugs, but talons and rending claws feels just right, which means I probably won't favor/use termagaunts. Hence, my list will not be balanced, could this be done successfully or will I suffer horrible defeat time and time again.

My main opponents will be Orks, Space Marines, Imperial Guard and most likely Tau.

I don't really fancy a swarm army either, mainly because I've just finished 5000p Tomb Kings and don't want to be painting a friggin' zillion of models.

I much rather fancy a small elite force, and would prefer to run more 'stealers - BUT, I figure a strength of the tyranids are to outnumber, and hence I probably will have to paint some gaunts to act as a bullet shield.

Thoughts are welcome! Thanks for taking the time.

Last edited by Banshee; March 11th, 2009 at 12:03.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

To increase the speed of your warriors, you can give them Leaping instead. Not too expensive, and because of running, you can keep up with the genestealers. Just a sidenote when using your warriors in CC, they are a bit more vulnrable, so you definately want to use more warriors.

Plus your warriors will fit nice in your "elite Nid" army idea.

Hive tyrant could be kitted with long ranged weapons, maybe VC's or something? It can keep the backline in order, while your warriors deal with the front.
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking of running a unit of Hormagaunts up front, acting as a shield for other models (genestealers, warriors).

Will they outrun synapse coverage?

I would prefer running genestealers only as troops, BUT as I said, I figure it's good to have at least one unit to bog down the enemy with which can be 'sacrificed' - genestealers feel a little too cool, a little too good to simply throw away.

I'm going to use magnets for my Carnifexes and Hive Tyrant just so I can change armaments later on, but my initial thought is and was to plunge the Tyrant into the enemy with slashing talons, dismembering everything within reach while have the tyrant guard soak up damage.

Shooting might be very good, but I simply don't like the idea, I want an all out melee force with perhaps once exception - a dakka/gunfex (I have two, so the other one is definately going down the screamer killer approach)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing about 5th edition is that it makes screener units a very important part of your army. Run a nice big and cheap unit of spinegaunts in front of every else and you give a 4+ cover save, which is better than your 'stealers or hormies would normally get. Use them to either soak up fire or grant you that save; they are dirt cheap so whatever happens to them you are good to go. If you have extra foce slots, you can split them up into different squads to make it even harder to get through them
    "This is delightful! It's like someone stabbed Mr. Bubble!" -Stewie, from Family Guy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, with 16 hormagaunts I could get either one unit with lots of gaunts, or two smaller units which will possible be easy to destroy. Don't really like to use spinegaunts, even for shields, but I'll consider it.

Leaping warriors would be able to keep up with the gaunts?

Just a question, IF one were to place wings on warriors, making them into fast attack choices. will the wings take up a weapon slot? (forgeworld wings for tyranid warriors for example, are mounted in the upper arm slots...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
    Well, with 16 hormagaunts I could get either one unit with lots of gaunts, or two smaller units which will possible be easy to destroy. Don't really like to use spinegaunts, even for shields, but I'll consider it.

Leaping warriors would be able to keep up with the gaunts?

Just a question, IF one were to place wings on warriors, making them into fast attack choices. will the wings take up a weapon slot? (forgeworld wings for tyranid warriors for example, are mounted in the upper arm slots...)

Nope, they are just a biomorph. Horribly overpriced, though
    "This is delightful! It's like someone stabbed Mr. Bubble!" -Stewie, from Family Guy

+ Reply to Thread