Advice On Using Lictors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Advice On Using Lictors

I recently inherited a box full of old models and a couple of Codexes from a mate who's getting out of the hobby, and amongst all the Smurfs, Wood Elves and Necrons there were a few Tyranid models, one of which I'm assuming is a Lictor; a big tall gangly thing with an octopus for a head. This gribbler-face Lictor thing is by far the coolest model I own and I want to use it in a game, but alas the armies I usually play don't allow giant stabbing octopus-beasts to be taken as allies.

I've looked at the Codex and Lictors don't seem like the sort of units you can really build a strategy around so I'm wondering if anyone can furnish me with ideas on how best to use this thing, what sort of units it complements, any lists it might fit into, etc etc. I really want to paint it and play it, and it'd be nice if I could find a way to do so competetively, so's people don't think I'm doing it just because the model is cool or anything... >_<

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly? In 5th you don't. But if you plan on it, run a few and you can tie down any shooty army for a turn or two.
    "This is delightful! It's like someone stabbed Mr. Bubble!" -Stewie, from Family Guy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

I typically use it to spring out of cover and assault a vehicle with rear AV 10. Charging at Strength 6, you should at the very least disable it from shooting for a turn. When a Lictor assaults a squad to prevent it shooting at the rest of your army for a turn, the Lictor will typically die unless it's assaulting Tau or Guard, and the enemy unit will go on to shoot the rest of your army as though nothing had ever happened (they'll be down one or two models, sure). Instead, if you assault a vehicle, you can stop the vehicle from shooting for a turn, and your opponent will have to use a squad's shooting to kill the Lictor, thereby preventing a squad from shooting your army for a turn (your original desired result). Put the lictor's assault in cover, and he'll likely be getting a 2+ cover save against the incoming shooting, meaning he might still survive the squad's fire.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x1)

I also like the Lictor concept but unfortunately I think it's overpriced (and has limited uses) in the 5ed.

I played three games with a Lictor and in all games it either died in CC vs marines (it killed 1 marine) or went camping in a wooded area because it missed it's opportunity to charge a tank (bad dice roll on deep strike). Charging a tank was still a better idea then going for a banzai charge in a unit of troops.

One point that was not mentioned is that each Lictor allows a reserve reroll (not for himself and you can do this even if he is not on the table). In theory this could work well with genestealer doing an outflank move (scuttlers biomorph). I planned to test this idea in my next games (1 Lictor and 2 or 3 scuttling unit).

In resumé (mind my poor experience though), I see 5 uses for the Lictor:
    - Reserve reroll
    - Attack lone vehicles
    - CC support (check the feeder tendrils ability and get out of the combat asap with hit and run)
    - "Psychological attacks": your enemy will think twice when sending units in cover area, a Lictor camping in front enemy units can distract your opponent (2+ cover save).
    - As a last measure to delay shooting or movement, go for a banzai charge (Lictor will probably not survive more than 2 rounds of CC, maybe not even 1).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

For the record, Lictors are NOT good against MEQs (Marine Equivalents), unless you need to tie them up.. Here's an example mathhammer:

Lictor assaults 10 MEQs. Lictor gets 4 attacks, 2.6666 hit, 2.2222 wound, 0.740 are unsaved. So, on average, you might kill 1 MEQ. Then the MEQs get 18 attacks (I'll assume 1 died). 9 hit, 1,5 wound and, on average, you recieve 1 wound. So in two turns, you'll kill 1-2 MEQs and lose your Lictor.

Against vehicles, it's only any good if the rear armor is 10-11.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

the only real use i can think of is insurance in a flying circus/massive outflank army. The idea is that you only take units that can either deepstrike or outflank, eg winged tyrants and warriors broodlords, ravenors genestealers, gargoyles, you get the idea. in this way you can be certain more of the army will arive on time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lictors are awsome in my opinion. if used the right way. verry rairly do i just charge them into a tactical squad. unless i have a GOOD reason for it. they are great suporting units. if timed right, and charged in with a unit of 10 hormies, that's 30 rerollable attacks! or a fex on the other hand. the only real problem with them is hitting, so 7 attacks? rerolls to hit and wound on 2+? hell yeah!

another good use for them is a distraction. once they become avalable, deep strike them right next to a shooty squad. chances are, your opponent will either move away or divirt fire into the new thret. with a 2+ cover save, you'll most likely survive whatever he can throw at you. so less shots at the rest of your army!

i ALWAYS try to take 1 in my lists. 2 if possible, but then i find there starting to get a little pricy. just having that one lictor in your armylist gives you that much more flexability. even if you only tie 1 unit up for 1 round
    Dark Eldar: 9/1/2 Winning streak: 6
    Tyranids: 16/3/4 Winning Streak: 8
    inquisition:4/0/3 Winning streak:0

+ Reply to Thread