Tank Slayers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tank Slayers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Tank Slayers

Good *insert time of day where you are here* red harvesters!

I've been considering putting some 5th ed compendiums together of how to deal with our army changes. I figured I would start with second biggest blow to our efficiency.

Killing vehicles!

Generally this is just going to be a gathering of all the ways we can knock out vehicles efficiently now that we've had some time to get used to 5ed. Throw in the unit/tactic that you consider potentially effective, then give an explanation (sort or long) as to why. I'll throw a couple to start off.

1. Heavy Destroyers. The oh so controversial and downtrodden flying lascannon. Reasonably tough, and with enough penetration power to kill any tank with a lucky shot, penetrates any armor on a 6 (or less) with the longest range of any Necron weapon. With it's mobility, high durability and powerful weapon, it's honestly surprising more players don't jump on these things like children on candy. This is one of two ways Necrons can kill a rival monolith.

2. Gauss Suppresion and Tomb Spyders. Use the Necron's old stand alone tank killer, gauss, to disable and cripple tanks, then finish them off with everyones' favorite discount MC. Gauss can still tear guns off and immobilize tanks, potentially destroying them, if it doesn't just shake them up at least. While a charging Tomb Spyder has a rather good chance of penning even Land Raider armor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

You can't forget scarab swarms with DFs. I've had a full squad of swarms/DFs tear through half my friend's cheesy IA armored company with hearly breaking a sweat.
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Nice thread idea

3. Wraiths can take out most tanks with ease what with high strength, speed, and weak back armour values.

4. Destroyer lords (warscythe preferred) similar to wraiths, can carve vehicles with ease.

5. The monolith Not such a good option, but can still put the hurt on vehicles in a pinch.

most other things in the list can kill a vehicle if pressed, but are not very efficient at it.
    Avatar's Arena #3 let the games begin!
    The Outsider And Kae'Tyr-necron fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alzer View Post
    1. Heavy Destroyers. The oh so controversial and downtrodden flying lascannon. Reasonably tough, and with enough penetration power to kill any tank with a lucky shot, penetrates any armor on a 6 (or less) with the longest range of any Necron weapon. With it's mobility, high durability and powerful weapon, it's honestly surprising more players don't jump on these things like children on candy. This is one of two ways Necrons can kill a rival monolith.
    ^erm... a lot points each and are very easy to kill...

Please do not post points costs of individual units -- Canew
    Last edited by Canew; March 16th, 2009 at 16:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Aye, I know the drawbacks of Heavy destroyers. Also please don't post exact points.

Just thought of one more.

6. VoD Immortals behind the vehicle to get rear armor, 20 shots that penetrate most vehicles on a 6.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Alzer View Post
    Aye, I know the drawbacks of Heavy destroyers. Also please don't post exact points.

Just thought of one more.

6. VoD Immortals behind the vehicle to get rear armor, 20 shots that penetrate most vehicles on a 6.
    Penetrate on a 6?
    You mean glancing on a 6, right?
    A 6 gives us glancing, no matter what, even if the thing had an AV of 5, and a heavy destroyer rolled a 6 for penitration.
    The one drawback of Gauss.
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

This is for the haters... CrownAxe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Nhyx View Post
    Penetrate on a 6?
    You mean glancing on a 6, right?
    A 6 gives us glancing, no matter what, even if the thing had an AV of 5, and a heavy destroyer rolled a 6 for penitration.
    The one drawback of Gauss.
    No

Gauss gives us AT LEAST a glance on a 6. If a 6 would normally beat the armor value then its a penetrating hit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x3)

Nope, Read the rules on Gauss again.
    It gives glancing hits, even if it would penetrate.
    I just read the necron codex while sitting on the pot today, lol
    That part always pisses me off.

It even only gives glancing hits on vehicles that would normaly upgrade glancing hits to penetrating hits, like a hellhound.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

324 (x8)

No no no... Gauss only means it autoglances on a 6 if it wouldn't otherwise glance or penetrate. Gauss weapons still get penetrating hits. That clarification in the codex is just so you don't get two "hits" on the roll of a 6.

e.g. Against front armor of a rhino, (AV 11) warriors can't penetrate, so they glance on a 6 only.
    Immortals, would normally glance on a 6, even without gauss, but only get one roll on the damage chart per 6. Destroyers penetrate on a 6, and glance on a 5, however if they roll a 6 they ONLY get to roll damage counting as a penetrating hit, not a penetrating and a glancing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x3)

I read the rules differently.
    Unless it was talked about in a FAQ :-/

I see the "Gauss with automaticaly glance on a d6 roll of a 6 even if the targets armor value is greater than can normaly be glanced by the weapon." or something of that sort, at work, no codex.

Then it later says that it wouldnt give a glancing hit as well as a penitrating hit.

I always viewed that as the only drawback of the gauss weapons, since in 3rd/4th they're very overpowered.

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong...
    I've played in tourneys like that too, and no judge ever said anything.

Damn silly brits, never making rules clear!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast