Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I'm WFB player and only recently became interested in 40k tabletop. Predictable indeed, I have a few questions about Eldar and some of the other rules.
Sorry for my crude English, I'm not a native speaker (I'm russian).
1. How many shots Avenger exarh will get from Bladestorm if he have double catapult, +1 or +2?
2. When Infiltrating with Scorps, can I assault the same turn they arrive on the table? And do I need to roll as if deploying from reserve for them?
3. What is generally preferred weapon for Banshee exarh? Why?
4. Is it a good idea to stick a lot of upgrades in Falcon that increase it's surviveability, and put Warlocks with one/two Farseers inside to make tough mobile frontline flagman vehicle (AFAIK I can use psychic even if inside transport - from FAQ)?
5. I've seen a few lists here that contain cheap Farseers with almost no upgrades. So I'm wasting my points if I get him runes, stone, and three powers? Should I take more troops instead? My list will be hybrid with more footslogging, and craftworld much possibly Ulthwe.
6. Banshee tricks like IN 10 and reducing enemy to WS 1 work only if I'm assaulting, or in every first turn of combat?
7. Not using Avatar is a viable option? As I've heard, it's been used a lot in tournament games, but I think I'll only participate in friendly ones.
8. Painting aspect warriors must be done with their 'aspect theme' colors, or I can for sure go with craftworld theme here? I know they are MINE warriors and I paint them how I like (even if they'll complain), but what is more common approach?
That's all for now
hey, ur english is actually really good, right heres what i think:
1. it says, that the exarch and his squad may choose to add ONE to the number of shots they each fire with their shuriken weapons, so in my opinion its just +1 to his shots, as his dual shuriken catapults count as a single assault 4 weapon.
2. infiltrating units start the game deployed as the infiltrating rules state in the rulebook, however if you are outflanking them, then they make come on from reserve on random table edge, move and then charge if u like as outflanking does not count as deepstrike, however remember with Striking Scorpians that they have not got Fleet so no run and charge
3. Id go for executioner as i personally like the +2 strength so you have a strength 5 weapon, which is easier to hurt infantry and also able to hurt tanks if your feeling a bit cocky.
4. Falcons arnt the toughest tanks in the game, however they are one of the fastest, use it to draw fire from your force, and taking pot shots at vunerable tanks and heavy infantry, also a fire dragon unit is great in a Falcon, Keep it cheap, if you put a scatterlaser on it then you have a anti infantry and light vehicles weapon and a anti tank weapon in you pulse laser, holofields is also a good upgrade if you got points to spare, I personally dont field them, i use a fire prism and 2 wave serpents, i think that the wave serpent transport is better than the falcon, tougher due to energy field rule, higher transport capability, and more accurate with its twin linked weapons but they have different roles.
I find Warlocks so be a very expensive bodyguard for Farseers, best used combined with your guardian squads with Conceal, farseers arnt a front line combat HQ they are better for supporting your units with Guide or Fortune, Doom if u use howling banshees (a nasty close combat unit if used properly) or Mind War to kill that pesky Powerfist etc
5. Only really need one power on Farseers which ties them to a certain role, however i have had success with multi powerd Farseers, Its totally up to you, The Farseer has a LD of 10 so Runes of Witnessing could be avoided, also only spend points on Runes of Warding if you are sure that ur enemy is fielding psykers.
6. Only in the first round of assault which you initiate
7. The Avatar is a close combat monster, its up to you whether you field him or not, however for 155 points and that awesome stat line and rules, anyone would be mad not too, especially for the footslogging army you are planning, all units within 12" become fearless
8. Painting your units is totally up to you, even if u wanna paint them bright Pink, then u go for it, I am painting my army in Biel_Tan colours (green and white), maybe incuding the aspect warriors i havent decided yet, The most common approach is basically you paint YOUR models however you bloody want too regardless of wat anyone else thinks lol
Hope i have helped, if anyone has different answers to his questions, then please post
I'll give it a shot.
[QUOTE=DarthTixed;1388539 (I'm russian).[/quote]
Out of curiosity are you in Russia or just from there?I think +1 but I don't use those guys so I haven't looked into it much.1. How many shots Avenger exarh will get from Bladestorm if he have double catapult, +1 or +2?I think you mean "outflanking" in this case. And yes to the questions in that case. It's the same as reserves. Just that you come in on a table edge. Note the roll you have to make regarding that.2. When Infiltrating with Scorps, can I assault the same turn they arrive on the table? And do I need to roll as if deploying from reserve for them?I'd say executioner. You need it for killing 4 and higher toughness things. The other weapons might be better choices against low toughness critter or work well when coupled with doom. But if you're charging with Banshees against T3 or T4 doomed units than the rest of the squad should do the trick.3. What is generally preferred weapon for Banshee exarh? Why?I'd say holofields are nearly mandatory. Stones are decent(used to be mandatory as well). further upgrades, while useful, start to really up the price and put a lot of eggs in one basket.4. Is it a good idea to stick a lot of upgrades in Falcon that increase it's surviveability, and put Warlocks with one/two Farseers inside to make tough mobile frontline flagman vehicle (AFAIK I can use psychic even if inside transport - from FAQ)?
You can use doom, fortune and guide from the vehicle. I think it's generally accepted you can't use mind war and eldrich from the vehicle.
Personally I don't like warlock units until they're big. Like 10 models strong. However it could work.By the time you're giving your farseer significant upgrades you should probably just go to Eldrad.5. I've seen a few lists here that contain cheap Farseers with almost no upgrades. So I'm wasting my points if I get him runes, stone, and three powers? Should I take more troops instead? My list will be hybrid with more footslogging, and craftworld much possibly Ulthwe.
Footslogging is tricky in 5th. But that's a whole other discussion.Um. They work if you get charged if that's what you're asking.6. Banshee tricks like IN 10 and reducing enemy to WS 1 work only if I'm assaulting, or in every first turn of combat?For friendly play it's fine not to have one. However for a footslogging army they're incredibly useful.7. Not using Avatar is a viable option? As I've heard, it's been used a lot in tournament games, but I think I'll only participate in friendly ones.8. Painting aspect warriors must be done with their 'aspect theme' colors, or I can for sure go with craftworld theme here? I know they are MINE warriors and I paint them how I like (even if they'll complain), but what is more common approach?
In my experience it seems to vary by aspect. Note that they have their own themes from the codex independent of the craftworld they're in.
Anyway I've only seen fire dragons painted red, reapers painted black, and banshees painted whitish.
However warp spiders seem to regularly get different schemes, and I've seen some variety in scorps as well.
Dire avengers get some variety because sometimes they're used as "black guardians" or they are converted from old guardians in which case who knows what they'll look like.
Spears have some variety.
And, hurm, swooping hawks are so rare I couldn't really say much about that.
Thanks for a good advice you two! I hope more opinions will come too.
BTW, we in our gaming club prefer not to use special characters (Eldrad was mentioned here), feeling a bit close to 'cheese'...
Also, I'm expecting to face gunline-style armies a lot, IG and Tau as for now. Any things I must beware of, or weaknesses I could exploit?
However with the current rules the way they are I find it unlikely that they could stop Eldar rushing them with serpents going flat out or jetbike using units turbo boosting. We can just close too much distance in a turn while gaining cover saves. Note that what I said applies to a mass rush. Send in a single serpent and expect it to crash and the survivors to be blown away.
The trick then is managing the ensuing melee. My scorps used to be able to eat the better part of an IG army by using the massacre moves to contact new units. Now you have that bit where you're sitting around.
That's where, currently, I have a lot of fun with fortuned scorpeons. A unit of fire warriors can rapid fire a group of fortuned scorps and only expect to bag one, sometimes none. They are still vulnerable to things that can get past their armor save, but don't forget about your transports, position them to not only get firing lines on enemies but also to give scorps cover saves agaisnt the worst stuff.
Now often there are some objectives you'd want to hold back on your side of the battlefield. Something I'm experimenting with there is ride donating guardians. The cheap units sit back in cover firing away(Or going to ground or hiding completely), while the serpent purchased with them runs forward with the rest of the army. That way if you lose one serpent early the CC squad in it can just remount into the guardians donated ride. And empty serpents can go out in front of loaded serpents to block LOS or provide cover saves on the approach.
At any rate vehicles are more popular in all armies compared to 4th in my experience. So don't forget to bring some stuff to deal with that!