No Time - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No Time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Time

Has anyone had problems with matches going to time? I like footsloggers but they take too long to set up and move. Then when I play against Tau, their shooting takes as long as my movement. How do you get past turn 3?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont take so many!

Ok if you must try using movement trays as in fantasy

strips with five to ten would speed things up a lot.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

Movement trays are not the greatest idea.. but they work. They effectively force you to clump your forces together, when they'd be better spread apart to minimize blast-marker hits.

Might I suggest setting up terrain in your spare time and practice moving? It may sound silly, but there actually is a slight bit of technique to it. I've gotten rather fast.. comparatively.. You want to move your front models first, then your rear models, and everything else should fit in between. Some opponents dislike this method, as you won't actually measure your middle models.. just guesstimate.. So check with your opponent before hand.
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think Ahead

Most friendly opponents and casual gamers allow me to plan ahead my movements. For example, if I have a unit that I know is going to run in the upcoming shooting phase then I'll move AND run them before finishing all of my movement. This might not fly as well in real tournaments but then again most players appreciate any ork who's doing their best to speed up gameplay so that the game is actually completed. This works especially well with footslogging armies. You should definitely check with your opponent on this one before starting but most players don't mind.

Other than that, some of my friends have actually helped me move my models for the sake of speeding up things, even in tournaments. Usually I'll move the first line and he'll fill in the rest while I move on to the other units. Obviously only do this with players you generally trust and who are willing but it certainly helps get things rolling.

Just a few tricks of the trade. Hope they helped!
    "Orks have to be followers of Nurgle! They're green, smell bad, and just want to spread the fun!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

As long as your opponents don't mind, I think there are a few things you can do to speed up movement for Foot-Sloggin armies.

1. In general, once you move the guys in front, you can just move the other guys up pretty quickly without measuring each one. However, this can depend on what the movement situation is, and for certain instances you should always measure. However, you can still speed things up by just holding the tape measure above each unit as you go along.

2. Some movement trays can be customized in case you need to go through tight spaces or change your formation (i.e. Spreading out if you anticipate a blast). I have NOT tested this theory yet, but what if you could design a Movement tray on some cloth or some other flexible material? There will probably still be turns when you need to move outside the boundaries of the cloth or "movement tray", but overall I think it could help things.

3. The movement and Running trick can also work really well. Especially if you're going through and area where it's difficult to place your models or to keep them standing up. Typically you can combine your run and movement so you save time and don't have to worry about standing up your models.

@ Bossgore.

How do you move you rear models before you move the middle ones?? Wouldn't the middle ones get in the way? I guess it depends on how deep your Mob is....but I guess I could see this working.

Speaking of which...you know what would be a Fun Idea? We should have a Movement contest between Horde..or at least Ork players. Just for Fun and Pracitce...we can tape ourselves moving Mobz of different sizes. probably 20-30 ... and through different Terrain types and see who can get the best time? Sorta like one of those obstacle Course competetions you see on TV. Who knows, we might all be able to learn from each other.
    Last edited by Darkzephyr; March 18th, 2009 at 05:31.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice

The Allmighty Chaos Boots Process's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x3)

well I asume this is in a tournament setting since you would otherwise just keep going until you are done.

to speed things up you cando some of the following maybe:

learn all the rules by heart. plan your move during your opponents move.
    Me and my friends regularly play 5-6k points apoc in under 5 hours often resulting in complete massacres because we plan our moves while the other player does theirs the only move that actually takes time is the player that goes first. all you need after that is a fast brain and quick hands. no single unit on the board should take more than 30 sec to move and should take less than a min to shoot with. But then that may be a bit fast for most players to really enjoy it.

And for the less insane players:

1 call out what you are doing as you are doing it. Less confusion = less argue and confusion time. call out which unit is moving where they are going any roll targets for what Ex:

my choas shooting face.

I say:
    "Autolas pred, lascans on your rhino, 3+ hit, miss miss (as usual bleh) autolas pred, AC on your rhino 3+ hit, 2 hits, roll to pen 4 glancing 5+ pen, no pen and 1 pen, damage chart roll 6, explodes, roll explosion inches, 3 nothing is hit"

that takes about 24 seconds to do.

Hint for moving. move only the front model by use of measuring device and then copy the positioning of the unit onto the new location with the front model as reference point. that way you can keep spacing and preserve unit cohesion etc etc as well as it being the most legal way to move stuff even very big units such as a 30 model guant brood only takes half a min to move.

But if possible ask for more time. nobody should be penalized for bringing horde armies to tournies. and Good luck
    What is Aurora Prime?
    "behold, I am the flamer, the searing one, the combustion of all spontanious flash fires, I am process" BIG RED BUTTON!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moving and running has already been mentioned a couple times.

My friends and I have also a system where I can just move the Nob and one of the bystanders moves the rest of the mob while I talk with my opponent about what I am going to do with the next mob.
    "Fear not and look up to the sky for salvation, for we have entered orbit."
    Blood Angels 2nd Grail Guard Company

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

I should really do a how-to on this, but making movement trays out of cardboard is great. Take a big peice and set up a unit of boyz in standard formation (as spread as you wish). Trace around each circular base with a pencil. Cut out the holes. Then glue it on top of another peice of cardboard so when you move your ladz they don't drag on the ground and get caught. Base it as usual with grass or sand or whatnot.

Saves a ton of time and can actually look cool.

+ Reply to Thread