Best Carnifex Tag Team - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x1)

Best Carnifex Tag Team

I am trying to assemble my two carnifexes and I want to use them together (not in a nidzilla style army).

My first approach was to build something usable against vehicles and to do some CC support.

Sniperfex: Enhanced Senses
    Barbed Strangler
    Venom Canon

Venomfex: Enhanced Senses
    Scything Talons
    Venom Canon

My second approach uses the same setup but with a boomfex instead of the venomfex. I find this setup, however, to be less reliable and less efficient since I will not shoot a barbed strangler just before assaulting or when the enemy is next to my units.

What would be your approach considering that my army will not include many shooting attacks (maybe 2 zoanthropes) and will be CC oriented (with lots of stealers, hormagaunts and gaunts)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

I'm a big fan of the CC fex. Just give me the normal upgrades, 2 ST's, tusks, & scythe tail. There's nothing scarier and no better anti-tank than 2 charging fexes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

96 (x1)

I burned my fingers too much with pure CC fex. My opponent usually concentrate firepower on the fex and never makes it to the enemy line. Granted, I have never used two CC fex at the same time (maybe you use some sort of pincer attack to trap the tank).

I also used a fex with ST, TL Devourers. In the games I played with devourers I managed to shoot twice but failed to do more than 2 wounds. In close combat the fex got locked against a unit each time but that was rather "intentional" (note to self: do not charge with fex alone). If I had to used this setup again, I would add +WS & toxic miasma (compensate for the loss of 1A) and Spine banks (small compensation for the lost of the 2nd pair of devourers).

What about two Venomfexes with CC upgrades? Pretty versatile setup, will stun vehicles while moving toward target and they can be effective in CC (little bit pricy thought... ).

2x
    Venomfex II:
    Enhanced Senses
    Venom Canon
    Scything Talons
    Adrenal Glands (+WS)
    Toxic Miasma
    Spine Banks
    Last edited by dapredator66; March 23rd, 2009 at 20:17. Reason: Typos + precisions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

If you want a shooty, Enhanced Senses is, of course, a must. Spore Cysts are not played as far as I know, but I think they are much better than Spine Banks if you plan to leave the Carnifex out of CC. Sure you might wound yourself sometimes, but it makes assaulting you a much more dangerous plan. Of course, never make Toxin Mines, but bio-acid spores can keep dreadnoughts, necron spyders and similar enemies from attacking you, and frag spores will hurt your opponent more than they will hurt you. Barbed Strangler + Twin-Linked Devourer is a good shooty option, and can even help against some vehicles. The pinning capabilities are just a bonus.

Example build:
    Carnifex w/ Enhanced Senses, Spore Cysts, Barbed Strangler and TL Devourer @ 128 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

96 (x1)

Spore Cysts!! Lemt this is a brilliant idea, especially against daemons! (or any deepstriking army).

I can already imagine my setup with a tight cluster of my warriors, zoans, stealers and tyrant on a hill surrounded by a deep wall of gaunts right next to two fexes blocking one way and laying mines . Good luck entering the mine field, assaulting the gaunt and surviving the counter assault!

New tag team considering my initial idea:

Sniperfex II:
    Enhanced Senses
    Barbed Strangler
    Venom Canon
    Adrenal Glands (+WS)
    Spore Cysts

Venomfex III:
    Enhanced Senses
    Venom Canon
    Scything Talons
    Adrenal Glands (+WS)
    Toxic Miasma
    Spore Cysts
    Last edited by dapredator66; March 23rd, 2009 at 22:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

104 (x4)

The spore Cysts plan has a single drawback, however. The enemy can assault a spore mine, kill it, the mine explodes, and then they consolidate position. This way they can close in faster. Of course, it also means they are not attacking your units, and are taking extra damage from the spores. Plus, according to the official FAQ, all spore mines cause pinning. And Bio-Acid mines, even though they have only strength 3, have AP 3, meaning MEQs are in trouble. And because it has only strength 3, it wounds a Carnifex on a 6, or not at all if you buy the +1 Toughness upgrade. :3

EDIT: Of course, spore mines flying randomly around make deep strike mishaps that much more likely to happen. :3
    Last edited by Lemt; March 24th, 2009 at 04:12.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

wow, I never even thought about those spore cysts like that! I always was thinking of offensive tactics, never even the slightest thought about defensive tactics!

Although I have to pop some bubbles here, Spore Cysts only produce POISON mines. So you cannot opt for spawning Bio-acid mines.
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

96 (x1)

Oh well! The idea was nice. I validate that the spore cyst only produces toxin mines.

EDIT:
    I guess you can still stop the enemy from assaulting you if you put a toxin mine in front of the fex. The opponent will need to assault the mine first.

On the thread subject again, if I was to need CC support and anti-vehicles support I would choose:

2x
    Venomfex:
    Enhanced Senses
    Venom Canon
    Scything Talons
    Adrenal Glands (+WS)
    Toxic Miasma
    Spine Banks or Spore Cyst

The problem with the sniperfex is that its a liability in CC (2A, WS3 vs 3A WS5 for the Venomfex) and clearly design to shoot units from far away (which is a little contradictory since the fex is suppose to be a living battering ram).
    Last edited by dapredator66; March 24th, 2009 at 13:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

104 (x4)

Oops, I missed the "only Toxin mines" part, but yeah, it's true. Guess that makes it somewhat less interesting, because the risk you get is much greater.

On an unrelated note, why give shooty fexes scything talons? On page 30 of the Codex, under "rate of fire", it says extra attacks don't count for shooting. On page 31, under "scything talons", it says so again.

Toxic miasma is also pretty useless (check the "to hit" table in the rulebook to see how little effect it has). If you remove the Miasma and Talons you could equip it with a TL Deathspitter, and still have a point left over. If you have nothing better to do with that point, give it Flesh Hooks (so it can fire from high ground).

I'd rather play two fexes, one CC and one Shooty, than two mixed ones:

Shooty 'Fex:
    Enhanced Senses + Barbed Strangler + Venom Cannon 148 points

CC Fex
    Flesh Hooks + Mace Tail + Toxin Sacs (+1 S) + Bioplasma +
    Crushing Claws + Scything Talons + Adrenal Glands (+1 I) 144 points

The CC option has Initiative 2 so it strikes before Power Fists. On the assault, it has 1D6+3 attacks, +1 at I4. Thats's, on average, 7-8 S10 attacks that roll 2D6 to penetrate (except the I4 attack). After the assault, it "only" has 1D6+2 attacks.

EDIT: You could change Bio-Plasma for Tusked, It's mostly a matter of personal taste. Plasma works only once, but you can use it if you get assaulted. And the double initiative can prove very helpful.
    Last edited by Lemt; March 24th, 2009 at 16:25.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

96 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Lemt View Post
    Oops, I missed the "only Toxin mines" part, but yeah, it's true. Guess that makes it somewhat less interesting, because the risk you get is much greater.

On an unrelated note, why give shooty fexes scything talons? On page 30 of the Codex, under "rate of fire", it says extra attacks don't count for shooting. On page 31, under "scything talons", it says so again.

Toxic miasma is also pretty useless (check the "to hit" table in the rulebook to see how little effect it has). If you remove the Miasma and Talons you could equip it with a TL Deathspitter, and still have a point left over. If you have nothing better to do with that point, give it Flesh Hooks (so it can fire from high ground).
    A lot of my opponents will have WS4, having adrenal gland + toxic miasma gives me a WS5 equivalent.

My fex are jack of all trade (master of none), 2 hit from venom, 3A in CC. I see your point about specializing them. Did you have a lot of success with CC fex? I asked because mine usually never reaches the enemy line (note that I never used two at the same time since I did not have the model).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast