Anyone got any experience with the Eldar Cobra Super Heavy Tank from Forge World? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone got any experience with the Eldar Cobra Super Heavy Tank from Forge World?

COBRA TYPE II ELDAR SUPER HEAVY GRAV TANK

Forge World ELDAR

I wanted to know how these really matched up against the Fire Prism in terms of firepower and usefulness. It has a D-cannon which I never used, but I'm assuming its good, but how good and how flexible is it against infantry as well as vehicles?

Also how expensive is it points wise? Would it just not be better to get 2 Fire Prisms? Also, if I really want a D-Cannon couldn't I just get the weapons platform instead considering this thing is never really gonna get within 12-24" of the enemy anyway ideally.

I just really want to know the facts before I invest $150 in getting one plus Forge World's rulebook for another $30.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x3)

You pretty much answered all your questions yourself.

I probably shouldn't post exact points value, but in the apocalypse Imperial amour rules I have it's 600 points.

The Distortion cannon it has has is G48" range, and it has a 10" blast, and kills everything it hits automatically. IMO it's WELL worth the points, but I'd only take it in big games, otherwise you're spending far too many points on a single model.

Consider though, you could have FOUR moderately kitted out fire prisms for roughly the same price (both money and points) In the end, it's up to you.

~ L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I didn't answer the questions myself really.

So is the D-Cannon pretty much equally effective against both Infantry and Vehicles?

and once again why wouldn't I just get the normal D-cannon support weapon for far less points? Is the D-cannon on the Eldar Tank better (different rules?) Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

70 (x3)

I assume it's a completely different D-Cannon. The one I'm looking at is pretty much a Total Destruction cannon. Everything under a 10" blast either suffers an automatic penetrating hit (vehicle) or suffers instant death (everything else). I seriously doubt a cheap weapons platform has that kind of destructive ability.

~L

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

Nar your right thief its compleatly diffrent to the weapon platform d-cannon
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

70 (x3)

It's a destroyer weapon for a start. They're limited to the Imperial armour rules, so there' sno way it could've been the same weapon. If it was on a support platform, it's be about 250-300 points.

~ L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

huh, it looks like this thing might be worth getting after all! 10" radius? template weapon?

Nice. Who needs a Reverant Titan when you can have these?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

The Cobra is 600 points, so using it in normal games of 40k would just lead to it being destroyed within the first few turns due to the weapons fire it would attract. It is really supposed to be used in games of Apocalypse where there are very often lots of other high-points nasties like the Baneblade and Warhound Titan.

In response to your second question, Revenant Titan models are far, far better and more awesome than the Cobra models and... well, they get 4 Range 60" AP2 5" blast Destroyer shots every turn if you choose Pulsar arms (and you're crazy if you don't). Even Imperator Titans lose to Revenants for sheer awesomeness, even though the Revenant loses on firepower (in something of an extreme way).
    Last edited by Acarna; March 22nd, 2009 at 12:18.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

Compare it to a fire prism like you would compare a baneblade to a russ.
    It's an awesome model (very pretty, though it's resin, so its a pain in the ass to put together), and has some nice rules on it, but costs alot of points. It lays down a ton of firepower, but wouldn't be as mobile as 4 prisms, so it only really takes 1 good shooting phase and its gone.
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

70 (x3)

Prisms are actually countless times more effective, If you read the rules for formations in the Apocalypse Reload, there's one which comprises of 3 to 6 fire prisms. The bonus they get for coming as a formation costs 0 points, and isan extensions of the rule in the eldar codex for being able to fire prisms together.

In the Apoc. rules the Fire Prism gets steadily more powerful as you add more prisms to it, but by the time you have 6 you have something considerably more powerful than even the Distortion cannon on the Cobra. It looks absolutely insane, and I'm definetely going for it at some point in the future.

I'm just annoyed that Forge world don't do Fire Prisms 'cause I love forge world models. I guess I'll just have to get one of the Forge World eldar vehicle upgrade kits for each one.

~ L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast