How do i fight this space marine list!!? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do i fight this space marine list!!?

My friend has gone psychopath with a deathstar list. Grand Moff Tarkin uses the following:

Rhino #1: 10 Sternguard with PF and 1 combimelta
    Rhino #2: 8 Sternguard with Pedro and PF
    Sniper Scouts
    Outflanking 10 man scout squad with PW and combimelta
    Vindicator
    Vindicator
    LRC with 5 assault terminators, librarian with null zone and quickening

I hate him and want him to die

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

If you can't stand his cheese, throw cheese right back at him.

Eldrad, 10 warlocks, 3 Wraithlords, Jetbikes for troops, and wave serpents with bright lances carrying fire dragons... Sit back and watch as your units rip through him. Remember that you can keep anything you want in reserve so if you want 6 dirt cheep troop choices, get 3 man jetbike squads and just hold them in reserve only for objective grabbing. One simple law of the game, anything they can do we can do better, but at the cost of doing anything else, so make sure your units are doing what they should be doing and you win. Go forth and make him cry for mercy!
    Never apologise for asking questions young seers, through asking
    questions we find answers, and through those answers we gain
    knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us
    -Farseer Marauth
    Meet My Autarch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, my cheese list involved 5 wave serpents with TL BL's (3 of them carrying cheap guardian squads), autarch just for the good reserves, and a falcon with fire dragons.

What do you recommend doing with the 10 warlocks? Throw them in a Wave Serpent with various psychic powers, dooming and destructor'ing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Remember that in kill point missions you only have to win by 1. After you kill a couple things of his use your speed to avoid him if you can, most of his things have a very short range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

Either that or just a slow march up the field with fortune backed up by 3 wraithlords... just guide 2 wraithlords and fortune yourself you will be surprised how much firepower a fortuned eldrad squad will take. It's roughly equal to having 1.5+ armor or eldrad's 0.66+ armor which kicks the stuffing out of the terminator's 2+! You can always add another farseer and a warlock squad for him just to have fortune and Destructors. Just remember to always add at least 1 embolden warlock to re-roll psychic tests. It's so good it's almost unfair, but hey he went cheese first so let him have it!
    Never apologise for asking questions young seers, through asking
    questions we find answers, and through those answers we gain
    knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us
    -Farseer Marauth
    Meet My Autarch

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Actually I spanked a list very much like that one recently.

I got good service from one of the more overlooked units in the codex, D-cannons. They're pretty cheap. And while not very mobile, they can devestate armored vehicles. Just be sure to have some terrain around that blocks line of sight to them.

The rest of my force was mostly mechanized. I fired away at his vehicles with my guardians, vypers, and serpents as they approached utilizing cover to get 4+ saves on the scant retern fire. Once they got close enough where I'd be about to take hits from the special weapons I started flying away with my mech elements.

That left most of his army dismounted and in D-cannon range.

After learning how D-cannons don't care what the armor on this land raider were AND that they didn't care about that whole "have to be under the whole" business he started shouting "NEVER AGAIN!" and then went and bought some drop pods.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

i would suggest using 5 dark reapers and giving the exarch crack shot and a trempest launcher , as far as i know sternguard still have a 3+ save and crackshot will take care of them if they are in cover.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by nigelboyette View Post
    i would suggest using 5 dark reapers and giving the exarch crack shot and a trempest launcher , as far as i know sternguard still have a 3+ save and crackshot will take care of them if they are in cover.
    Careful with that though. Reapers aren't so great at popping vehicles. And if those sternguard get close enough where they can dismount from the rhino and rapid fire you're reapers are toast.

Whatever you do you either have to be able to deal with the vehicles or be so resiliant that you can just take the abuse when they dismount.

Now that I don't think a gunline can reliably stop the charge. You usually really only get one, maybe two, rounds of shooting if they go first, and between the number of vehicles, strength of the armor and just as importantly smoke that isn't enough time to down them before they're close enough to engage. I manage this by using mobile elements that can evade once they get to close and that can swoop in on elements that have gotten seperated from the herd so to speak.

You might be able to do something with resiliance. (3 wraithlords, an avatar, other units of assaulty troops in serpents etc. )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

I'd throw some gouda cheese at him, not that chedder wraithlord cheese. I wouldn't do wraithlords against sternguard, HELLO Hellfire rounds always wound on a 2!

I'd throw a more gourmet cheese at him, like 3 fire prisms and wraithguard in wave serpents. I'd either go with pathfinders, or guardians as troops (depends) and Eldrad and an avatar would work well against this list. Guide fortune, doom!

You'd have 3 str 9 AP2 blast templates, followed by 10 always wound on a 2 AP 2 shots, which will penetrate tanks on 5-6 on the roll for armour penetration. you put lances on your wave serpents, for some extra tank poppin' power. You should at least be able to get him to walk the map, and be able to whittle him down from there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You won't even need to cheese up to take this list out, go mech and laugh. I'm normally not a fan of mechanised lists but at any range beyond 30" he's got a few sniper rifles and thats it, keep moving your Serpents at range and pepper him with Lance and Launcher fire, bring nothing that isn't either in or is a grav-tank.

Vindicators die first as they carry his reach, then Rhino's and LR. Don't be afraid to give a turn of fire with some tanks to move full speed and get away from his attacks.

You could alternatively stop him with a gunline but it would have to be pretty focussed, D-Cannons, Farseers, Guardians en masse with more heavy weapons. Basically spend every single point on Anti-tank and shuriken fire. Without those tanks he's got virtually no bite in his army, sternguard are no tougher than a regular marine and die just as easily to Guide/Doom shuriken walls, and so do terminators. He's got 5 2+ wounds, 23 3+ wounds and 15/20 4+ wounds. A good eldar firebase will wipe out most of that in one phase, you just need to get around the armour he's hiding in. He has no staying power and each failed save is going to cost him, and a good volley of shuriken fire will make him fail plenty of saves.
    Look to your troops and Fast Attack (Vyper mainly) to boost your heavy weapon count, the more you get the better off you'll be, and make every single one a Lance or EML.

It's not ideal but it's much less cheesy than some options and i find it's always more satisfying if you can win with a tailored list rather than just answering back with more tourney level cheese...
    "ask not the Eldar a question, for he will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast