I am having a lot of trouble against nob bikers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

I am having a lot of trouble against nob bikers

I have a friend who takes a unit of 10 nob bikers with a boss and feel no pain. It's costing him around 800pts but I never kill them and they get to kill some of my stuff. Can you please help me defeat his army, if not the nob bikers?

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by onlainari View Post
    I have a friend who takes a unit of 10 nob bikers with a boss and feel no pain. It's costing him around 800pts but I never kill them and they get to kill some of my stuff. Can you please help me defeat his army, if not the nob bikers?
    Use markerlights to reduce that annoying coversave a couple of points, then fire everything you can at the squad on the first turn or two. Failing that, charge the remainder of the squad with kroot to mop/tie up the survivors.
    Fire enough weaponry at a squad and it will drop dead, every squad has a weakness. This one is no different, as it costs a whole hunk of points leaving not much left for an Ork army.

I'll have to look more into this one, it's a pretty recent thing going on over here and a very dirty trick from an Ork player.

-Kai-Itza-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

take strength 8 stuff and try to instagib him, if you have enough S8 firepowere then he will eventually fail some cover saves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alos Ap 1 and 2 stuff for it ignores feel no pain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

An Alpha/Beta missile strike might work if you have a skyray and enough markerlights to pull it off.

By Alpha/Beta, I mean that you fire as many seeker missiles at the unit as possible the first turn while also reducing his cover save to zero. So if he has a cover save, and you have 6 markerlight hits, then you only fire three seekers (first turn Alpha strike) and then do the same thing the following turn (second turn Beta strike).

Odds are that with six seekers, you should kill about 4-5 of those nob bikers, despite their feel no pain (they don't get feel no pain against S8 weapons), with minimal expenditure. That will knock the biker unit down a notch or two right off the bat. After that, standard concentration of fire should work well, particularly plasma & fusion from crisis suits and rapid firing pulse rifles.

Keep in mind that it is an expensive unit and therefore is hard to kill for a reason. Considering how many points it costs, I would think that it would weaken his army more than it helps him. If you ignore them, they will probably never get their points back and will allow you to destroy the rest of his army, which will be smaller than normal.
    Last edited by ZenGamer; March 24th, 2009 at 17:32.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by onlainari View Post
    What exactly is he equipping the Nobz with? Even with a bike each, Painboy and Boss with various upgrades (usually around 130-150pts) the unit cost is around 650pts, that's 150pts in extras.
    What weapons are the Nobz using? Does he take any power klawz etc? Is the unit geared more for close combat or for ranged offense.

The problem with bikes is they cover ground so fast and are tough. The 4+ cover save means using low AP weapons is not going to be that productive.
    Having a toughness of 5 makes them a pain because even the Pulse weapons of the Tau only wound them on a 4+.
    To make any in roads you need to concentrate fire on the unit. Lots of Fire Warriors, Kroot and Stealth's pouring fire into the unit. The problem with this is the Kroot and Stealth's have to be close to shoot and this leaves them open to being shot and assaulted but its a case of having to bite the bullet. Using ML's to up the BS of the FW and Stealth units is absolutely paramount.

The good thing about a unit of this size and cost is if you can damage it the player loses a huge part of his army and every casualty is costly. The other good thing is the unit can only go for one target at a time. Target denial is key but this is hard with such a fast unit and the need to have as much as shooting the damned unit. The FOF can help but the bikes large movement rate reduces the protection from the DF.

One effective way to deal with this unit is to keep it close combat with cheap expendable units. Two units of kroot with Hounds will cost 236pts and the Hounds number of attacks, STR and INT will hurt the bikers and hopefully they will at least hold the biker unit in CC for a few turns.
    Shooting the Bike unit with massed small arms fire, submunnitons guided by ML's and then assaulting with Kroot (two units if possible) will hurt the unit badly. Obviously if you can hit the unit with XV8 units low AP weaponry cannot hurt but it depends on what the rest of the Orks are doing.

Obviously this advice is basic stuff because I have no idea just what units you are using, point level of the game, what other units the Ork player is using and what mission predominate. Let us know this info and it will help us advise you.

The mission point is an important one because having one large unit means it is going to be harder for the Ork player to claim objectives etc.

By the way dude I am surprised a player of you calibre is asking advice but it just goes to show we all need help now and again, even the Tau greats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soteks Prophet View Post
    take strength 8 stuff and try to instagib him, if you have enough S8 firepowere then he will eventually fail some cover saves.
    I guess he should take a skyray then!!!

+ Reply to Thread