Special characters over Regular HQ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

Special characters over Regular HQ?

Who here prefers a tooled out Autarch or farseer to Eldar, Yriel or the phoenix lords. I left out Avatar because he is in a class all by himself. He can almost count as a special character with those stats.

If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the points allow it, I never leave without Eldrad. Three powers per turn is just nasty. Cast doom, cast Guide, cast Fortune ( and in some cases, doom or guide again ), and let the rest of the army shoot the hell out of the doomed enemy unit.

( My oher choice is the avatar ( but you left him out, boo-hoo... ), because of his damn good stats. )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

It's nothing new that Special Characters are FAR better then regular ones, even with increased point cost. That's why they are banned and forbidden (In his name...) on most tournaments. For players' sanity.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Dire View Post
    It's nothing new that Special Characters are FAR better then regular ones, even with increased point cost. That's why they are banned and forbidden (In his name...) on most tournaments. For players' sanity.
    Are they still banned? Back in 'the day,' special characters were often not allowed because they all required permission from your opponent to even be able to use. That is no longer the case; now, special characters aren't technically 'special' anymore, they are just named characters in your codex that you are 100% allowed to take. I didn't know tournaments still disallowed them... kind of odd, since now every codex is getting the same treatment with these characters.

Personally, in most cases I'd use an Autarch or Farseer over most of the named characters in the codex, however there are times that I will use Yriel, who is probably the only named character I'd enjoy using. I don't see the others as justifiable with the increased point costs; more units on the table will usually win you more games than an extra psychic power per turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

70 (x3)

Eldrad's redeployment rule is damned useful, especially with eldar being as specialized as they are, you really need them to strike where they're most effective.

On paper and the battlefield special characters are obvious best choice, but for some reason I find myself rarely ever using them.

~ L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    Are they still banned? Back in 'the day,' special characters were often not allowed because they all required permission from your opponent to even be able to use. That is no longer the case; now, special characters aren't technically 'special' anymore, they are just named characters in your codex that you are 100% allowed to take. I didn't know tournaments still disallowed them... kind of odd, since now every codex is getting the same treatment with these characters.
    Maybe you play in more eldar-friendly tournaments. In my country, fortunetaly, they are all banned. And that's good enough, I see no reason for Eldrad to be back from hell or Abaddon to lead a 50-men group strugggling to beat some loyalists. Both fluff and rule wise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been running with no Psyker or Aur. Jain Zar is my bet for my current army. Got a turney this weekend at 1500 pts.

we wills eee how it wirks.

LD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

70 (x3)

I assume by Aur you meant Autarch, Lucky Dog?

Also, random point, I used to have a Jack Russell called lucky

~ L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eldrad is one of my favorite Special characters, if he is with a warlock unit he is unstoppable, or at least havnt had anyone take out the whole squad yet, even 20 khorne beserkers have trouble.

otherwise my next favorite is Jain Zar, str 7 PW on the charge is just annoying, especialy since as a banshee having I10 with furious charge is awsome (does she get the bonus after I goes up to 10 or before?)

Otherwise i just go with the normal characters..

Though i have used Yreil, he just dies to quickly for some reason, he has never survided past turn 4 no matter how hard i tried.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bah!

I was in a hurry when I posted. I was doing homework with my kid. Sorry I did not proof!

I was going to put my army list here. But I realised there is a army list forum so I will drop it there.

LD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast