Welcome to Librarium Online!
I had some questions and hopefully get some answers aswell.
1, Guardians vs Dire Avenger... what do you choose? I my self am not sure at all, but i am leaning towards the Dire Avengers.
2, War Walker squad vs Wraithlord? ofcourse you could wield both, aswell as with the guardian/Dire Avengers. 3 war walkers with scatter lasers do look temting tho.
3, Banshees vs Scorpions? again i am leaning towards the scorpions but as i am new i realy have no clue how any of these units from any question do at the battlefield, and i have no real close place to test them out either.
4, Is there any unit you realy stay away from? that you dont like at all?
Anyho i was thinking on buying some starting kit and it would most likely be
9+1 Dire Avengers and a Exarch
5+1 Striking Scorpions and a Exarch
good or bad start?
Its hard being new, even harder trying to figure out what to start with and what would make a good build of something . Hope some of you can help me out
I'd go with dire avengers over guardians any day. I don't plan on ever getting and guardians.
In terms of winning battles, I think the war walkers would be better. Stick scatter lasers on them, get your non-existent farseer to cast some guide/fortune/doom and you have an epic round of shooting awaiting you. Personally I'd go with the wraithlord though, but I just prefer them in terms of style.
1. I prefer Avengers. I don't really like the look of the Guardians, but others do. It's personal preference mostly.
2. Both? Again it's a lot of personal preference, but I run 3 Walkers with scatter lasers and they are great at taking down infantry. Wraithlords are very tough and can be great tank or horde hunters.
3. This is a huge can of worms and has been debated many times. It has a lot to do with the role you have them assigned to. Scorpions are good in the open as a counter assault unit or infiltrated/outflanked to get into the enemies face quick. They are also very strong against horde armies. Banshees really benefit from a transport to keep them safe until they attack. They are typically best against marine type units with good armor.
4. There's nothing I really hate, but the support weapons and Phoenix Lords are pretty overpriced and underperforming for what they are. Vypers can be a little weak, but good if used correctly. Swooping Hawks are a mixed bag, and Shining Spears are tough to use. Everything in the Eldar force has it's role, though.
Eldar Record: 11-8-3
Battle reports, painting and more at Meandering the Dune Sea
I play Ulthwe so guardians are a fact of life, I struggle to get alot of good use out of defenders but I like the storm guardians alot. they cost less but are also more fragile but used correctly can be about as effective as dire avengers.
Walkers and wraithlord is quantity vs quality, the walkers put out alot of shots but die rather quickly and don't shoot well. walkers with scatter lasers are great but with anti tank guns they get to pricey for me add in bs 3 and its a no go. But a lord with an EML/BL is tough, durable and has a better BS so he might actually hit from time to time with those pricey guns.
As a stand alone unit scorpions I feel are better, with doom and a transport the banshees become one of the better high save killing units in the game and the I 10 on the charge does wonders( had my girls bag a bloodthirster on tuesday ).
For units that under perform for me its the hawks, shame because the models are amazing and they have alot of potential, but they disappoint me more often than not. Honorable mention goes to my autarchs they never preform well but they give the +1 rerserves roll which can be nice.
Yeah i heard people played different craftworlds.. is it the Craftworld Eldar from 2000 thats needed to see whats special with them?
All craftworlds use the same FoC and units, I use guardians to stay true to the fluff of Ulthwe (lots of pyskers and guardians not many aspects ). Don't feel restricted in what you use. I do this as a personal choice and get no advantages from it. The craftworld eldar codex is no longer usable, but it does have some nice bits of background in it.
i keep it simple lol i would do avangers, warwalkers and banshies.
avaners hang out in transport then blade storm off objective and then power weapons on exarch finish whats left.
warwalkers scatter laser amazing cast guide and its sick cast doom and even carnifexes will be crying.
banshies good with power weapons however in 5th ed do sturrugle to live through the whole battle shock troops to take out heavy units such as termies, always get the skill that gives then counter attack in case dont get shot to bits and doom is the banshies best friend. also a wave serpant is always helpful with these girls if they want to live to see some action.
"Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road
1. Avengers. Good God I HATE Guardians. The Eldar are supposed to be the elite of the elite. We have Farseers, Aspect Warriors, really awesome tanks, ... and Guardians? Screw them.
2. The Wraithlord is cooler imo, but War Walker are definitely effective. Its really your choice.
4. If you are facing MEQs then Banshees are better, especially when aided by a farseer.
5. Guardians, Support Weapon Battery (they're crewed by Guardians), and I think thats really it.
You could call em mendatory, if you wanted.
Shining Spear aspect warriors are generally considered weak.
And you should decide on what you want before hand! Do you want fast mechanized (vypers, falcons and some Wave serpent mounted infantery) or mobile footslogging (a big dose of aspect warriors) or gunline (Guardians, DA, dark reapers and weapon platforms) or slow and strong (Wraithguard, wraithlord etc)?
Last edited by Zema; March 28th, 2009 at 14:32.
Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
Voor alle nederlanders:
The Dutch Legion
Yeah, about what i want to play, i think specializing into one aspect as you described doesnt fit me to well. I'm more thinking of a hybrid, i like so much about the Eldar units but i'm having a hard time trying to get them in there.
Dark Avengers, Warp Spiders, Rangers, two serpents, banshees and harlequins are all units i realy like, the look and feel of them are great and i'm still not sure if i want to bring wrathlord and/or war walkers.. or one unit of each or walkers and a prism walker/prism wrathlord/prism.. gaah :p its driving me insane!
And i got about 20 hours hehe untill i got to decide on what to buy first