Overdosed, but still fighting - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    190 (x3)

Overdosed, but still fighting

Hey
    There has been a lot of speculation over the different aspects of Combat Drugs, ranging from IC usage to Succubus and Squad use. However, I have a question which I haven't seen an answer to, and as such, does not clarify in the Codex, nor the FAQ.
    If a character uses Combat Drugs, decides to choose two options, and rolls a double, we all know that they will suffer a wound. However, do the effects chosen still come into effect?
    I am in two minds about the situation. It would seem that (for the sake of realism) the character in question would be so disoriented that they wouldn't know where they are, but at the same time, it does not state in the Codex anywhere that the effects would not go on.

Opinions?

Fly High!

Last edited by The Hawk; March 30th, 2009 at 08:19.
    Light a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkuli View Post
    Hey
    There has been a lot of speculation over the different aspects of Combat Drugs, ranging from IC usage to Succubus and Squad use. However, I have a question which I haven't seen an answer to, and as such, does not clarify in the Codex, nor the FAQ.
    If a character uses Combat Drugs, decides to choose two options, and rolls a double, we all know that they will suffer a wound. However, do the effects chosen still come into effect?
    I am in two minds about the situation. It would seem that (for the sake of realism) the character in question would be so disoriented that they wouldn't know where they are, but at the same time, it does not state in the Codex anywhere that the effects would not go on.
    For this matter, is this the same with a Wych squad too?

Opinions?

Fly High!
    Now I have always assumed that the assault drugs used the rules for assault, in that the attack precedes the wounds and as such the 'effects' are still apparent until the wound is resolved.

Take it as a last gasp of an overloaded body!

Usually in 40K the attack takes precident over the defense in order to finalise the game in so many turns.

Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    367 (x5)

My take on this is 1: yes the drugs still take effect and 2: the wound is applied immediately. It states in the event of triples rolled the "model is killed outright." I think it would confer an unfair advantage if you rolled doubles/triples, then waited until the end of the assault phase to apply the results. If this wasnt the case, you could take all six drugs to help take down that one nasty target/unit that would probably kill you anyway, knowing that you're character would just overdoes at the end.
    (WH40K) Dark Eldar - (12,000pts) Sisters of Battle - (5000pts) Dark Angels -(3500pts) (WHFB) Dark Elves - (10,000pts) Beastmen - (5000pts) Empire - (3000pts) Wood Elves - (1500pts)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Kabbala View Post
    My take on this is 1: yes the drugs still take effect and 2: the wound is applied immediately. It states in the event of triples rolled the "model is killed outright." I think it would confer an unfair advantage if you rolled doubles/triples, then waited until the end of the assault phase to apply the results. If this wasnt the case, you could take all six drugs to help take down that one nasty target/unit that would probably kill you anyway, knowing that you're character would just overdoes at the end.
    I wouldn't do play it this way because I don't think that's how the wargear is designed, I agree that it is instantaneous, but I must admit, I would love it if combat drugs did work this way, It wouldn't make a ton of sense for an archon himself but I love the idea of him overloading those working beneath him like haemonculi into wild killing machines just for a turn knowing they wont survive.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    367 (x5)

I wasnt suggesting the wounds from combat drugs worked that way. I was making an argument for applying the wound results immediately after rolling doubles/triples and before the actual assualt phase.
    (WH40K) Dark Eldar - (12,000pts) Sisters of Battle - (5000pts) Dark Angels -(3500pts) (WHFB) Dark Elves - (10,000pts) Beastmen - (5000pts) Empire - (3000pts) Wood Elves - (1500pts)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was looking it up because I thought it was written somewhere but as you said I can not find it. I was under the impression that the drugs took effect even though you took a wound exempting of course the triple because even though the drugs worked, your still dead. Oh and I take the wound immediately. Just the way I always played, I'm not sure if its right or wrong.
    Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls.
    These are some of my favourite things.
    - Dracon Borkor

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

I would still argue that the normal rules for assault are to be followed here.

A double is rolled so you suffer one wound when the combat is resolved.

There is nothing to suggest that the wound is to be applied before the attack takes place.

In fact the rules for Combat Drugs as Wargear tells us that the effects last for one assault phase and if you remove the model before the effects action then you are not allowing it the duration of that phase.

The opposite opinion seems to be based on real life situations and not the rules I am afraid to say.

Thanks.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
    I would still argue that the normal rules for assault are to be followed here.

A double is rolled so you suffer one wound when the combat is resolved.

There is nothing to suggest that the wound is to be applied before the attack takes place.

In fact the rules for Combat Drugs as Wargear tells us that the effects last for one assault phase and if you remove the model before the effects action then you are not allowing it the duration of that phase.

The opposite opinion seems to be based on real life situations and not the rules I am afraid to say.

Thanks.
    hmm.. You know Wicky, I can see your logic and as we both know a lot of times GW's rules do not mimic real life so i can't argue you your point. Like I said its just the way I always took it and I guess I never even thought about it. Either way, its a very good question that I do not have an answer to.
    Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls.
    These are some of my favourite things.
    - Dracon Borkor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x6)

The combat drugs' effects are to be rolled at the beginning of the combat phase in this case. When you roll a double, the character takes a wound, so that would be before he/she makes any attacks. If the character has multiple wounds, they still gain the benefits because you rolled for them. The results of the rolls are not a test to determine success or failure, only side-effects.

And at least that wound does not count when determining assault results (because only wounds caused by enemy models are counted).
    Last edited by Krovin-Rezh; March 30th, 2009 at 08:54.

--•-My 40K projects-•--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

190 (x3)

Interesting. Firstly, I'll say thank you to all who submitted input. Looking at all of the replies, I can gather that it all boils down to a bit of common sense. I gather that most of us have stated that the wound is applied before combat is resolved and that the effects still continue into effect.
    What gets me is the purpose that it draws down to. I understand that the roll has been made for the Combat Drugs to take effect, but as this draws down to luck, and a double is rolled, you are left in a position where sheer, for want of a better word, punishment has occurred. You want them to succeed, you failed, and now you must suffer the consequences. It is an interesting and highly controversial case, yet realism is apparently not a virtue here, as some of us have said, hence why the question arose.

But you all have given some interesting persuasions...

Fly High!
    Light a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast