Lifeblood of the army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lifeblood of the army

Of course I am talking about the troops. The most basic and essential part of any tyranid army. Why then, is there not a lot of information on the subject of that most basic group of units, the troops?

Specifically, I would like to know about your troop choices, how many/what kind/with what upgrades you pro tyranid players like to use for different types of lists.

for example:
    a shooty 1000 pt list
    a cc based 1500 pt list
    a balanced 2000 pt list
    ect...
    (don't only stick to these examples, they are just that)

Post your thoughts and/or experiences with different types of troop choices

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rippers with fists, enhanced senses, and toxin is pretty good for shooty I think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's a balanced list then you need WoN Gaunts. Spine Gaunts or Termagaunts. Because the Troop choices for Nids are so weak, you simply don't have a chance in objective missions without them. Use small brood sizes though, so they die earlier, and can come back earlier to sit on the objective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

I have a nidzilla list with 2x dakka tyrants, 2x elite CC fexes, and 2x sniperfexes in my 1500 pt list. I use ~20-30 spine gaunts w/WoN and ~20-30 termagaunts as my troop choices. I've found WoN on all your gaunts isn't always the best thing.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Genestealers are very good troops, and what I usually play. Gaunts are specially good if you equip them with Flesh Hooks, Adrenal Glands (+1 Ini) and Spinefists. At 7 points/model you can have a 32 strong brood for only 224 points, and they hit before MEQs do. Even if many fall to distance fire, there'll be more to retiliate. Even a 20 unit is very good. Gaunts equipped this way are IMHO, better than Hormagaunts. The reason is simple:

Gaunt with +1 Ini, hooks and Spine fists: 7 points per miniature.
    Hormanagunt with +1 Ini and hooks: 14 points per miniature.

32 gaunts cost 224 points. That gives you only 16 Hormagaunts. When assaulting, the 32 gaunts have 64 attacks. The 16 Hormagaunts make 48 attacks. Both hit MEQs on a 4+ and wound on a 5+, no difference there. Both lose their armor against MEQ shots, but each gaunt you lose is less important than a hormagaunt, plus more shots are needed to kill the unit of gaunts. Hormagaunts have leaping, but normal Gaunts have Fleet, so no real difference there. You likely will run rather than shoot the spinefists, but even then it's a small loss. But in the rare case you DO shoot (like your enemy advanced to ensure rapid-fire) you'll get a few free kills.

On to the Mathhammer. 32 gaunts face off 15 MEQs, calculated at 15 points/MEQ. The gaunts attack first, 64 attacks, 32 hit, 10-11 wound, 3-4 go unsaved. Then the MEQs attack. They have 11-12 attacks (depends on how many survived), 7-8 hit, 5-6 wound (5.086, FYI), 4-5 go unsaved. You are probably losing the combat, but who cares? Synapse FTW!
    Second round of combat, you have 27-28 gaunts remaining. Each has 1 attack, 13-14 hit, 4-5 wound, 1-2 go unsaved. 10 MEQs left, 6-7 of their attacks hit, 4-5 wound, 3-4 go unsaved.

Losses so far:

Gaunts: 8 lost, 56 points
    MEQs: 5 lost, 75 points

As you can see, these gaunts are fairly decent against MEQs.

Now, 16 Hormagaunts vs 15 MEQs. HGs hit first, 48 attacks. 24 hit, 8 wound, 2-3 go unsaved. The remaining MEQs have 12-13 attacks, 6-7 hit, 4-5 wound, 3-4 go unsaved.
    Second round, 12-13 HGs are left, and deal 24-26 attacks. In the end, 1-2 go unsaved. 11 MEQs remaining hit 5-6 times, wound 3-4, and will kill 3 (3.05).

Losses so far:
    Hormagaunts: 7 lost, 98 points.
    MEQs: 5 lost, 75 points.

So Hormagaunts are more vulnerable to enemy fire, and are worse in combat, than normal Gaunts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot lent! That is the kind of thing I would like to see.

How often would gaunts be charging into cover (and not out from it, or at least from cover to cover) that they need the flesh hooks?

and how many groups of those gaunts do you think would be good for an army?

+ Reply to Thread