Newbie Army List: Tau Battleforce units - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Newbie Army List: Tau Battleforce units

OK. I'm new to 40k and Tau (played Dwarves in Fantasy) and I just got the Tau Battleforce set for my birthday. I combed the forums here and elsewhere to help me find the ideal pts set up for the Battleforce set and here is what I came up with. Rikimaru, your stickied articles were very thorough and helpful, thanks.

Keep in mind I will be facing Space Marines probably 90% of the time (my friend who got me hooked plays them) and probably tyranids/others the rest of the time. So any suggestions to help against that specific army would be great. I will be trying to magnetize the devilfish and battlesuit so i'm not concerned about differnet weapons systems. Also, let me know if i did anything illegally as im new to the complex rules of the Tau.

OK here goes:

Troop choice 1:
    12 Firewarriors (11 Shas'la and 1 Shas'ui) all with pulse rifles
    Shas'ui upgrades: Markerlight, Target Lock (wargear), Bonding Knife (wargear)
    150 pts total
    Questions/comments: Markerlight for Shas'ui a good or bad idea? (I have 5 total MLs in this army). Also, the Shas'ui's ML counts as 2 ML attacks, correct? Seeing that he has 2 attacks...

Troop choice 2:
    12 Kroot Carnivores with Kroot rifles
    84 pts total
    Questions/comments: Didn't add a shaper cause it didnt seem worth the pts, good or bad idea? Also I picked up 2 Krootox riders, would you recommend adding them or not worth it and why?

Troop choice 3:
    Devilfish with Burst cannon and 2 gun drones
    Upgrades: Multitracker, Disruption Pods and Flechettes
    105 pts total

Elite choice:
    Stealth Team with 3 Shas'ui (Shas'vre didnt seem worth it IMO) one of which is Team leader all have Burst Cannons
    Team leader upgrades: Targeting Array and HW Drone controller
    Other Shas'ui upgrades: Targetting Array on each
    Marker Drone with Networked ML and Targetting Array
    155 pts total
    Questions/comments: I just bought an old style "15" suit that I think im gonna add to be my teamleader that would make the unit a 4 man squad. I figure my friend has many more space marines so he can easily match my pts number and i figure the more stealths, the merrier. Good or bad idea?

HQ choice:
    XV8 Battlesuit Shas'el Commander (Fire Knife config) with 2 ML drones
    Plasma Rifle and Missile Pod
    Hard point: Targeting Array
    Hard wires: Multi Tracker, Target Lock and Drone controller
    162 pts total
    Questions/comments: This guy will be my armor buster - he'll be go to guy for transports, dreadnaughts, terminators or even enemy tanks. I figure he can also help against basic Space Marines too if needed be. I was debating between Fire Knife and Deathrain with him, what do you guys think of my choice given his role (armor buster) and the army i'll mostly be facing (Space Marines)?

Total Army Points: 656 pts

Basic Game Plan: Generally the FWs, Kroot, and Stealth will try to deal with his basic Space Marines (and maybe terminators/special characters) and the Battlesuit will try to take out higher armor targets like transports, dreadnaught, terminators or special characters. Stealth guys may also help with MLs against armored units?
    Future planned purchases: Railgun hammerhead (or maybe Ion cannon one, because of Space Marines, though Railgun seems more versatile against infantry AND armor), Sniper drone squad (speciallized pinners), Pathfinders (to free up MLs from my FWs)

Any comments, critiques and general mockery is welcome... (dons protective head wear)

Last edited by ajefferism; April 6th, 2009 at 22:12.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I only am online for a moment so can't write much, but on a quick skim....

Troop Choice 3: a Devilfish is not a troop choice. It is a transport which can be purchased as an "upgrade" for an existing unit such as the Firewarriors.

Firewarriors - "may add a Devilfish as a transport"
    Pathfinders - "MUST add a Devilfish as a transport"

Personally I'd fill out another Troop choice or two before worrying about either Pathfinders or Sniper Drone squads.

Technically you can get a Firewarrior squad and a Pathfinder squad and have the Firewarriors ride in the Pathfinder's Devilfish. (New rule in 5th edition) However, the Firewarriors can't deploy IN the Devilfish; they'll have to embark on the first turn. This will slow you down a little on some missions. Just so you're aware.

I'd take the Railgun over the Ion Cannon. There are a lot of cover saves available in 5th edition and you don't have a lot of anti-tank otherwise. With 5th edition, the game is moving more towards a torrent-of-fire approach where you take down harder targets (marines, terminators) by forcing them to roll LOTS of armor saves instead of hitting them with low-AP "anti-tank" weapons. (Better odds)

Generally speaking, 40k armies and success in 5th edition is favoring mechanized armies and the changes in 5th edition terrain (true LoS) has hurt Tau's Crisis suit armies.

While I agree that Stealth suits are fun (I own 12 pewters) they end up being a LOT more expensive versions of a Firewarrior with a shorter range. Same LoS problems for hiding.

I'll try to come back to your thread later and see how things are going.

Jon
    [COLOR=DarkRedI got my tournament t-shirts at mathhammer.net[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A markerlight just gets one shot, seeing as how it is a "heavy 1" gun. Also, you might want to slim down a little, like no flechettes on the devilfish. The second comment depends on your playing style, so if you feel you need it, keep it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x3)

He's looking at the attack statline. While it would be nice for that "A" to apply to ranged attacks, sadly it only applies to close combat (as I found out my first game. Would be nice for a Shas'O to have a 4x multiplier on ranged, but... a bit unbalanced too. Just a bit. )

In regards to Kroot Shapers, yes, the general consensus is that they're way too expensive for what little they do.

I rather like Stealths myself. Bit tricky to use given how they're close range, and you'd be keeping them dancing in the 24" range, but still, a good source for burst cannon fire.

In regards to your basic game plan, at such low point levels you usually don't need to worry about hard targets, so your HQ should be able to handle everything nicely as long as he's kept alive (you know about jump shoot jump (JSJ) right?), and in a pinch pulse rifles and burst cannons can do some damage to rhinos and other light vehicles.

As for your future game plan, Hammerheads are indeed quite effective, especially railgun equipped ones, however you can have your railgun and ion too. Not at the same time, mind you, but as long as you don't glue the guns on the turret...

Speaking of not gluing, it's advised you don't glue weapons on your crisis suits. At least not unless if you know what you're doing and you're planning on modifying them.

I would advise picking up a pair of twin linked missile pod crisis suits next, seeing how versatile they are (It's of my opinion that a second battleforce is a good idea, but all depends on your budget), and I would also (personally) advise against picking up pathfinders until you're making 1500 point lists. Not that markerlights aren't nifty, rather I like to have a quantity of firepower available first before focusing on the quality.

(Especially since a 6 man squad of pathfinders and a devilfish would cost about the same as a hammerhead and an XV8 crisis suit, currency wise (Yeah, you -could- use carbine equipped firewarriors as a pathfinder, but the metal models are pretty...))

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon23516 View Post
    I only am online for a moment so can't write much, but on a quick skim....

Troop Choice 3: a Devilfish is not a troop choice. It is a transport which can be purchased as an "upgrade" for an existing unit such as the Firewarriors.

Firewarriors - "may add a Devilfish as a transport"
    Pathfinders - "MUST add a Devilfish as a transport"

Personally I'd fill out another Troop choice or two before worrying about either Pathfinders or Sniper Drone squads.

Technically you can get a Firewarrior squad and a Pathfinder squad and have the Firewarriors ride in the Pathfinder's Devilfish. (New rule in 5th edition) However, the Firewarriors can't deploy IN the Devilfish; they'll have to embark on the first turn. This will slow you down a little on some missions. Just so you're aware.

I'd take the Railgun over the Ion Cannon. There are a lot of cover saves available in 5th edition and you don't have a lot of anti-tank otherwise. With 5th edition, the game is moving more towards a torrent-of-fire approach where you take down harder targets (marines, terminators) by forcing them to roll LOTS of armor saves instead of hitting them with low-AP "anti-tank" weapons. (Better odds)

Generally speaking, 40k armies and success in 5th edition is favoring mechanized armies and the changes in 5th edition terrain (true LoS) has hurt Tau's Crisis suit armies.

While I agree that Stealth suits are fun (I own 12 pewters) they end up being a LOT more expensive versions of a Firewarrior with a shorter range. Same LoS problems for hiding.

I'll try to come back to your thread later and see how things are going.

Jon
    Thanks for the tip on the Devilfish upgrade.... OK i have 2 troop choices now.... but I hear the Kroot can now use the devilfish too which is cool.

For the future purchase of a Hammerhead, i plan on using magnets so i can swap out weapon systems. I probably will use the Railgun most of the time because its so versatile and also very effective against enemy armor, but judging from Rikimaru's (?) stickied article I may experiment with the Ion Cannon often... especially against infantry heavy space marine battles to which they are highly effective against apparently.

thanks again for the advice...

---------- Post added at 09:10 ---------- Previous post was at 096 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hyperboy737 View Post
    A markerlight just gets one shot, seeing as how it is a "heavy 1" gun. Also, you might want to slim down a little, like no flechettes on the devilfish. The second comment depends on your playing style, so if you feel you need it, keep it.

I thought attacks were attacks (ranged or close) but thanks for the clarification. Another testament to GWs editorial priorities focusing on fluff and not clear explanation of the rules... or a testament to my poor reading comprehension skills heheh.

Seeing that I'm a newb and will probably judge distances poorly for some time i think im gonna keep the flechettes especially if I attempt that fish of fury tactic... we'll see how things go.

thanks for the advice

---------- Post added at 09:17 ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    He's looking at the attack statline. While it would be nice for that "A" to apply to ranged attacks, sadly it only applies to close combat (as I found out my first game. Would be nice for a Shas'O to have a 4x multiplier on ranged, but... a bit unbalanced too. Just a bit. )

In regards to Kroot Shapers, yes, the general consensus is that they're way too expensive for what little they do.

I rather like Stealths myself. Bit tricky to use given how they're close range, and you'd be keeping them dancing in the 24" range, but still, a good source for burst cannon fire.

In regards to your basic game plan, at such low point levels you usually don't need to worry about hard targets, so your HQ should be able to handle everything nicely as long as he's kept alive (you know about jump shoot jump (JSJ) right?), and in a pinch pulse rifles and burst cannons can do some damage to rhinos and other light vehicles.

As for your future game plan, Hammerheads are indeed quite effective, especially railgun equipped ones, however you can have your railgun and ion too. Not at the same time, mind you, but as long as you don't glue the guns on the turret...

Speaking of not gluing, it's advised you don't glue weapons on your crisis suits. At least not unless if you know what you're doing and you're planning on modifying them.

I would advise picking up a pair of twin linked missile pod crisis suits next, seeing how versatile they are (It's of my opinion that a second battleforce is a good idea, but all depends on your budget), and I would also (personally) advise against picking up pathfinders until you're making 1500 point lists. Not that markerlights aren't nifty, rather I like to have a quantity of firepower available first before focusing on the quality.

(Especially since a 6 man squad of pathfinders and a devilfish would cost about the same as a hammerhead and an XV8 crisis suit, currency wise (Yeah, you -could- use carbine equipped firewarriors as a pathfinder, but the metal models are pretty...))
    Cool. Yeah shapers seemed pointless, even in the rulebook.

I got a bunch of magnets from amazingmagnets.com so I will definately be making my Battlesuits and tanks hot swappable. I saw a tutorial on youtube and thought it was the coolest thing.

OK. After youre guys advice I think I'm gonna set my future purchase priority set to the following:

1. Hammerhead - magnetize the railgun and ion cannon and experiment on Space marines mwhahahah
    2. Another Crisis suit set up with a Deathrain weapon config... more experiments vs Deathknife config... on more pitiful Space Marines mwahahah
    3. Another unit of Firewarriors...
    4. Maybe try a Broadside unit?

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Buy the Sky Ray box if you're wanting a Hammerhead; it's a better value purchase (same price) as you get the parts for the Sky Ray, the Devilfish and the Hammerhead all in one go. Don't glue the turrets and you can swap out the vehicles as you need them.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

just realized this belongs in the army list thread...sorry mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x3)

Eh, you're asking more about what to do with your battleforce and what to get next than really offering some new theoretical army list though...

...really what we should be doing is getting a new helpful links thread stickied instead of that old one that doesn't really work.

+ Reply to Thread