Feeling snippy about Imperials hating on Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

Feeling snippy about Imperials hating on Tau

Tau get quite a bit of flak on the internet from Imperial (Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Witchhunters, Daemonhunters) players, and though I've been perfectly content to endure their comments on our Japanese/Chinese influenced race, I'm being maddened by their insistence that our existence is only due to plot armour.

Let's take a dive into the history books (unfortunately mine is not with me at the moment). Many, many millenia ago, Humanity was but a fledgling race in the galaxy. We were just getting to find our place in the universe, starting to explore, and with the improvement of technology we began to expand at a rapid rate. The galaxy was ours for the taking as well, the Necrons still in complete stasis, the Tyranids still drifting across the intergalactic gulf, the Tau non-existent, and the Eldar dealing with their own problems. Orks didn't really have anybody to fight at the time, except each other, so their numbers were kept reasonably low. Humanity all but conquers the galaxy, and life is good. Suddenly the robots revolt, there's a massive civil war and humanity only survives through the strength of their newfound Emperor. He leads humanity on a great reclamation crusade, but now the alien races have begun taking notice. Going's a bit tougher, but thankfully they had already conquered the galaxy so their job is made much easier than it could have been. Horus heresy strikes, the Emperor is entombed, and half of the Space Marines quit. A religion is created based upon the Emperor's almighty super-goodness, and the now less-ambitious humans basically sit around and hold the fort, with a "FOR THE EMPEROR" crusade every once in a while. The greater forces in the galaxy are now aggressively trying to reclaim the galaxy, Orks have spread to fight, Eldar and Dark Eldar are raiding everybody else as well as manipulating them, Necrons are waking up all over the place and the Tyranids just hit the eastern fringe. A handful of galactic superpowers are caught in a power struggle for supreme galactic domination...

Enter the Tau.

The Tau, basically, are trying to do what Humans did dozens of millenia ago, except instead of being free to expand willy-nilly, everyone else in the galaxy has already staked their claims and are holding them with great tenacity. Despite only just being able to perform interstellar travel, the Tau are conquering solar system after solar system despite Imperial resistance. Despite dying of old age around 40, Tau are still able to go toe to toe with any of these galactic superpowers. Tau haven't even figured out how to genetically engineer supersoldiers yet, and they're still chewing through Space Marines (see: Damocles Crusade). Despite all of these things against them, the Tau are expanding and conquering, and generals of the Imperium despair. They hate that this inhuman race can succeed where they do not, but fail to see the similarities between their factions. Tau are akin to Humanity before the Dark Age of Technology, relying on simple AI (Machine Spirit anyone?) and aggressively conquering the galaxy, the only difference is the Tau have to fight through many well-established galactic superpowers, and are winning, whereas the Imperium is a galactic superpower, and is losing.

My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by lLonginus View Post
    Tau get quite a bit of flak on the internet from Imperial (Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Witchhunters, Daemonhunters) players, and though I've been perfectly content to endure their comments on our Japanese/Chinese influenced race, I'm being maddened by their insistence that our existence is only due to plot armour.

Let's take a dive into the history books (unfortunately mine is not with me at the moment). Many, many millenia ago, Humanity was but a fledgling race in the galaxy. We were just getting to find our place in the universe, starting to explore, and with the improvement of technology we began to expand at a rapid rate. The galaxy was ours for the taking as well, the Necrons still in complete stasis, the Tyranids still drifting across the intergalactic gulf, the Tau non-existent, and the Eldar dealing with their own problems. Orks didn't really have anybody to fight at the time, except each other, so their numbers were kept reasonably low. Humanity all but conquers the galaxy, and life is good. Suddenly the robots revolt, there's a massive civil war and humanity only survives through the strength of their newfound Emperor. He leads humanity on a great reclamation crusade, but now the alien races have begun taking notice. Going's a bit tougher, but thankfully they had already conquered the galaxy so their job is made much easier than it could have been. Horus heresy strikes, the Emperor is entombed, and half of the Space Marines quit. A religion is created based upon the Emperor's almighty super-goodness, and the now less-ambitious humans basically sit around and hold the fort, with a "FOR THE EMPEROR" crusade every once in a while. The greater forces in the galaxy are now aggressively trying to reclaim the galaxy, Orks have spread to fight, Eldar and Dark Eldar are raiding everybody else as well as manipulating them, Necrons are waking up all over the place and the Tyranids just hit the eastern fringe. A handful of galactic superpowers are caught in a power struggle for supreme galactic domination...

Enter the Tau.

The Tau, basically, are trying to do what Humans did dozens of millenia ago, except instead of being free to expand willy-nilly, everyone else in the galaxy has already staked their claims and are holding them with great tenacity. Despite only just being able to perform interstellar travel, the Tau are conquering solar system after solar system despite Imperial resistance. Despite dying of old age around 40, Tau are still able to go toe to toe with any of these galactic superpowers. Tau haven't even figured out how to genetically engineer supersoldiers yet, and they're still chewing through Space Marines (see: Damocles Crusade). Despite all of these things against them, the Tau are expanding and conquering, and generals of the Imperium despair. They hate that this inhuman race can succeed where they do not, but fail to see the similarities between their factions. Tau are akin to Humanity before the Dark Age of Technology, relying on simple AI (Machine Spirit anyone?) and aggressively conquering the galaxy, the only difference is the Tau have to fight through many well-established galactic superpowers, and are winning, whereas the Imperium is a galactic superpower, and is losing.
    Well while an interesting enough read I am unsure what you are trying to achieve with this post?
    I am also unsure about what 'plot armour' is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Plot armour is a method where the author protects the protagonists from certain death using the plot.

the Tau were cave dwelling creatures when an Imperial Explorer found them, they were marked for routine cleansing and colonizing.
    The race was doomed, except that the whole fleet was destroyed in the warp before they reached T'au. (Plot Armour)
    The warp Storm Raged for several hundred/thousand years (Plot Armour) allowing the Tau to develop to what they are today.
    There was one crusade aimed at reconquering Tau held planets but combination of Tau Military might and skill, the more pressing issue of Tyranid invasion, etc meant the crusade was called off (Plot Armour)

While the Tau are a powerful race, it is generally agreed that if the Imperium ever aggressively attacked the empire they would most certainly retake it. Luckily for the Tau, the universe is full of a lot more dangerous aliens and the Imperium does not have the time or resources it needs to take out the Tau. It would be a very costly affair indeed, and the Imperium is hard pressed keeping the other races at bay.

I play both Tau and Imperial forces. The Tau are a small race, but they are an interesting one. I only hope that GW does a great job of expanding the fluff next codex after the copy pasting it did in Tau Empire
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

Where on the internet are Imperial Players attacking Tau fluff? I'm asking out of curiosity.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the Tau, even if their backstory is a little weird. There are some strange holes in it that make it seem like GW only wrote the fluff after they were casting the first fire warriors (probably the case).

On the subject of Imperial-Tau relations, I've started Space Wolves, and I'm finding it unbelievable how easy space marine armies are to collect compared to GW's less-favored children.
    GUATEMALA BLEND
    ETHIOPIAN
    FRENCH VANILLA ROAST
    YOU'RE DYING FOR A CUP
    PREEEPARE FOR ULTIMATE FLAAAAVOR!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by omegoku View Post
    Plot armour is a method where the author protects the protagonists from certain death using the plot.

the Tau were cave dwelling creatures when an Imperial Explorer found them, they were marked for routine cleansing and colonizing.
    The race was doomed, except that the whole fleet was destroyed in the warp before they reached T'au. (Plot Armour)
    The warp Storm Raged for several hundred/thousand years (Plot Armour) allowing the Tau to develop to what they are today.
    There was one crusade aimed at reconquering Tau held planets but combination of Tau Military might and skill, the more pressing issue of Tyranid invasion, etc meant the crusade was called off (Plot Armour)

While the Tau are a powerful race, it is generally agreed that if the Imperium ever aggressively attacked the empire they would most certainly retake it. Luckily for the Tau, the universe is full of a lot more dangerous aliens and the Imperium does not have the time or resources it needs to take out the Tau. It would be a very costly affair indeed, and the Imperium is hard pressed keeping the other races at bay.

I play both Tau and Imperial forces. The Tau are a small race, but they are an interesting one. I only hope that GW does a great job of expanding the fluff next codex after the copy pasting it did in Tau Empire
    While I thank you for explaining the plot armour method, the repeated re-iteration of the point is hardly necessary (only need to be told once, I am quite quick at picking things up).

As to the point, well every race can be accused of being protected by the plot of 40K. The imperium is a prime example, for instance Kryptmans manoeuvring of the Orks to prevent the Tyranids from overrunning imperial space. The intervention of the Eldar (usually under the guidance of Eldrad) in imperium affairs (Eye of Terror for example) that contribute to the imperiums continuation.
    At the end of the day the existence of Tau (or any other army) is due to the imagination of a games designer and background story writers.

lLonginus: I find the 'our existence is only due to plot armour' phrase a bit weird, what do you mean by our existence? you do understand that you aren't Tau dude! Tau aren't real, its only a story

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x4)

Thanks for spelling that out omegoku, I'm sure I would have missed some bits. It's a pity that the copy-pasting GW did in the second codex wasn't even a direct copy paste, they took bits out! I didn't bring my 3rd ed. codex with me to college, and now I miss reading up on the Damocles crusade.

Yeah, I know I'm not a Tau, but when speaking of them I tend to associate myself with them as they're my primarily played race. There are a lot of things I like about them, but Tau players are a bit outnumbered (5 people play SM at my LGS, and maybe 1 of each other race, I'm the only Tau player). Gotta stand up for my kind, eh? :-P
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    While I thank you for explaining the plot armour method, the repeated re-iteration of the point is hardly necessary (only need to be told once, I am quite quick at picking things up).

As to the point, well every race can be accused of being protected by the plot of 40K. The imperium is a prime example, for instance Kryptmans manoeuvring of the Orks to prevent the Tyranids from overrunning imperial space. The intervention of the Eldar (usually under the guidance of Eldrad) in imperium affairs (Eye of Terror for example) that contribute to the imperiums continuation.
    At the end of the day the existence of Tau (or any other army) is due to the imagination of a games designer and background story writers.
    I was only trying to point out the obvious plot armour, not need to use angry emoticons at me!

Yes, every race has plot armour to some degree. But the main argument against Tau is that they are a tiny race numbered in billions compared to the endless supply each other race can call upon, except maybe Eldar.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Look at it in the reverse - far too many tau players play up how big and mighty the tau are, yet in actuality the tau are insignificant. Thier empire only exists because they happen to live in a dense planet cluster - otherwise they'd never be as big as they are now.

Then we have shadowsun (don't get me started on the fluff atrocity she is) defeating a splinter fleet - sounds impressive doesn't it? it is until you realise a splinter fleet could be a massive 2 ships.

Tau fluff is jsut so badly made up of "lol we win, 0 casualties" that it borders on marine level fluff from the new codex - really the tau have doen nothing note worthy on the galatic scale (which is what everything uses).

The tau have as much plot armour as space marines, which is ten times too much if you ask me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outsider View Post
    Look at it in the reverse - far too many tau players play up how big and mighty the tau are, yet in actuality the tau are insignificant. Thier empire only exists because they happen to live in a dense planet cluster - otherwise they'd never be as big as they are now.

Then we have shadowsun (don't get me started on the fluff atrocity she is) defeating a splinter fleet - sounds impressive doesn't it? it is until you realise a splinter fleet could be a massive 2 ships.

Tau fluff is jsut so badly made up of "lol we win, 0 casualties" that it borders on marine level fluff from the new codex - really the tau have doen nothing note worthy on the galatic scale (which is what everything uses).

The tau have as much plot armour as space marines, which is ten times too much if you ask me.
    Warhammer is a strategy game where we use little plastic men and dice to decide a battle. Who cares what the story behind each army is?

GW could come out with an army of pink jumping space cockroaches from the planet Stevie Nix who jump from one solar system to another and who dance and sing when they encounter other living things - if it was a fun army to play, I'd be all for it.

Really - chess is a popular game and you don't see chess players complaining that the story behind the white or black armies just aren't complete enough, do you?

Whew! I feel better!

/endrant/
    Last edited by ZenGamer; April 9th, 2009 at 16:52.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast