Welcome to Librarium Online!
I'm helping out a friend, who wants to start a tyranid army (first army), and Ive been going over the codex and looking at tactics and such. but it's really confusing for me, what a tyranid army should focus on.
- I play Chaos, so my sight might be a bit colored for this.
-Gaunts and such more or less act like meatshields for the more important units, like genestealers, zoanthropes (?) and the likes. so one would expect that the shooting ability of these are more or less non-exsisting?
-Hormagaunts are kinda expensive? but I can see them more usable when defended by the gaunts as mentioned before.
-Warriors might not be good per sa for shooting, but with enough deathspitters and barbed stranglers, you get alot blasts with rather high str. so that would be a good thing?.. what for secondary weapon symbiote. Scything Talons or Devourers?
- Carnifexes are actually one of my biggest issues.. Except for the Barbed Strangler, the Carnifex can't really be antitank (Glancing is fine, but not really good either). But the Fexes are just to obvious a target for enemy fire, they might not get into melee against tanks and troops?..
So my questions are really as followed.
- Gaunts. Cheap meat, or large groups of dakka?
- Hormagaunts. Any good in 5th edi?
- Warriors. All-out Shooting, Half'n'Half Melee/Shooty, or all melee?
- Carnifex. All out Melee, or All out shooty as a pair?
Last edited by Dethklaat; April 13th, 2009 at 17:37.
And now to erase your memory of this entire conversation.
They *should* focus on whatever your playstyle is.
Having said that, the way I plan to play I will have a mix of fexes ready to roll out either as CC or Shooty depending on what I feel like. Magnets are very good for this
To directly answer your questions, in my opinion:
- Gaunts are meat made to die. I might run Fleshborers over Spinefists simply because for one point it would give them a better chance to kill something if they are holding an objective, and you have a chance to hurt light armour and skimmers with them.
- Hormies seem really expensive to me right now. I don't plan on having any.
- Warriors will be shooty for me. Deathspitters for the brood with an upgrade to a BS on one of them. I would consider winged, ST + RC CC warriors for mobile synapse and to fill up Fast Attack slots.
- Fexes will not be mixed for me. I'll have fexes ready to go as pure CC or purse shooty for both the elite and heavy slots. Again, magnets on arms are handy!
Just my opinion. I've done a lot of reading and played a bit by proxies but I'm still new at this.
Just to give another oppinion, hormaguants can be very effective, just not without upgrades, they are fantastic at disrupting plans and removing key elements of your opponent forces. i also find that carnifexs can kill tanks up close, as the run rule makes them a lot faster. as i run 3 fexs, i find it is very rare for fexs to not make it, so long as you give them the 2+ save and extra wound. I also not a fan of ranged fexs, as they can be much more effective up close, the only set up i would consider using is a barbed strangler and TL deathspitters for light transport/infantry busting. Warriors can be set up in any way realy, as they can only shoot 1 weapon a turn, give them a gun and a CC weapon, if you need CC, get leaping warriors with either sything tallons and/or rending claws. If you need an infantry massacre unit, 9 TL devourer warriors with wings, is very nasty
They pretty much summed up everything. About the hormies i want to use them Mainly in the fronlt line maybe behind normal some cover but gaunts to get definitly up front. Get to CC as fast as possible and lock 1 squad from shooting for when my genestealers come out of the flanks, 24 inches for assault aint bad.
Also they semm cool and they come with normal gaunts. Its kinda hard for me to get GW stuff here (gotta order out of country) so i am trying to make the best out of every order. All my gaunt and genestealer squad numbers are multiples of 8 lol
If your friend is starting, I'd tell him to start buying two battleforces. It's the least expensive way to start, and gives a lot of options.
Heres how i use them:
Gaunts: awsomest tyranid unit, i give half of mine spinefists and half of mine fleshborers. Don't overupgrade these guys give them a gun and leave it at that.
Hormagaunts: used for assaulting quickly to limit opponents turns of shooting(be careful to keep them in synapse).
Warriors: these are really subjective, i have a close combat squad with leaping to move up with my hormagaunts and a squad with deathspitters to stay with gaunts. Really these are the only part of your army that are reasonable with guns so prob a good idea to give them venom cannons or deathspitters.
Carnifex: I'd always put a barbed strangeler on mine great all round wep. close combat ones are alright but useless against some armies (guard orcs)
Btw are monsterous creatures allowed to run?
Lemt is right get him to get at least 1 battle force