Welcome to Librarium Online!
Now mind you, I'm just starting Eldar so I don't know much about them.
I have two friends who both play Imp Guard, and with the new codex coming out and such they keep talking smack on how Eldar won't be able to hold up against them at all with their ap 3 weaponry and such. What are some good counter points and strategies to keep in mind when I play against them?
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
If I'm Schizophrenic
Then I am too!
Well, the veteran guards ( karshkin, or however spelled ), WILL have those guns you described. Allthough, I think their armour will still be... like paper...
Just use OUR advantage. SPEED. Wave Serpent, striking scorpions ( banshees are a bit overkill.. ) within it, race the SS to the ap3 gun models, charge them, and they shall be slaughtered. Or so I think.
Just as Shadowstrike said, use Striking Scorpions. The extra strength gained plus the number of attacks the SS get on a charge should be able to chew through most Imperial Gaurd squads.
Also, if they're bragging about AP3 weaponry, nullify it by not giving them a change to shoot at your infantry. So use tanks, most AP3 guns are strength 5-7 (I beleive) even with strenth 7, the gaurdsmen need a 5 to glance.
So, in short, get into close combat quickly because that's the the eldar could excel against Imperial Gaurd as well as using tanks to nullify they're anti-infantry.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
Really, Eldar don't care a whole lot about AP3 weaponry. Only a handful of our models have it, and they tend to be buttoned up in a transport, can turbo boost for a cover save before leaping into CC, have an evasive ability to keep out of range or otherwise make it hard to get them (warp spiders), or have crazy toughness.
Also we're very well suited for taking out guard. Things like plasma missiles and shurican catapaults work so well against guard.
I think you guys will hate the new IG -
Loads of Barrage ignoring Cover Saves.
Loads of crazy templates.
Valkyries which put Eldar Speed and firepower to shame.
Numbers that put a hard taxing on our lists.
But they can be handelled, just gotta prepare for anti-mech. This isn't list tailoring as almost every other good list (competitively) is a mech list anyway.
Wait. As I understand it they can now take tanks as "squads" . Does anybody know if these squads are just three separate tanks for one FOC slot or if they're actually squads per the vehicle squad rules in the BBB.
As in fire dragons get out next to squad of Leman Russes and ALL THREE blow up. (Hey a full squad of fire dragons are quite capable of handing out two AP1 penetrating hits to each tank in a 3 tank squad. )
That would be so awesome
Their ap3 weapons is nothing more than an armour-piercing lasgun. They should have S3.
But i dont like the trend of things that ignores coversaves. Flamers are allright, but long range weapons like thunderfire cannons etc. just seems wrong from my point of wiew...
I'm an imperial guard player and a eldar player and have studied the new guard codex and I'll you guys a few tips before it comes out
- Dont use your fast skimmers fastness the new hydra will shoot them out of the sky albeit just using the standard skimmer speed will save you from this annoyance
- the new vanquisher is specifically designed to blow up tanks and they're not that expensive
- hot shot lasgun ( hellguns) are now ap3 and albeit they are still s3 and rapid fire be aware that they still have a 4+ save and they have higher than normal bs and ws for a guardsmen and they also have acsess to multiple speacial rules like pinning in there first round of shooting and annoying things like that
- we now have acsess to essentially a tank for everything ranging from anti horde to anti tank to anti heavy infantry and are artillery section includes vehicle that can ingnore cover and re-roll the scatter dice and even a st10 ap1 small blast that adds an extra d6 for armour penetration but remember even if are leman russes now all hve 13 side armour we only have like last edition 10 rear and only 3 have 11 so there still very fragile
- if anyones worried about the new deathstike missile of death dont be there expensive and they may not even fire off the missile the whole game
-valkries are great and innexpensive but there not very hard to kill
- cost per man has gone down for a basic guardsmen but there guardsmen
hope that helps
This highlights my primary hope against the new IG codex. Eldar are not generally the army to beat, nor all that common these days. So my hope is the IG will be taking things like their AP3 rifles and weapons like the above which aren't optimized for taking out our serpents and troops generally.a st10 ap1 small blast that adds an extra d6 for armour penetration but remember even if are leman russes now all hve 13 side armour we only have like last edition 10 rear and only 3 have 11 so there still very fragile