Lootas and Battlewagon - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lootas and Battlewagon

I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to put my unit of 15 Lootas in an open topped Battlewagon. I'm thinking of tooling it up with a kannon, rokkits, and 2 big shootas, and armor plates.

Would the battlewagon have to stay stationary for the lootas to shoot? If it does have to stay stationary, I'd keep the weapons on it.

If it can move and have the lootas shoot, then I would just put one weapon, red paint job, reinforced ram, and armor plates, with a squad of 5 Nobz for assaulting.

Panzer

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x3)

Page 66 BRB: Models in a moving vehicle count as having moved for the purpose of shooting.

And your second idea? Do you plan to transport lootas and nobs at the same time? A vehicle can carry a single unit (plus ICs)

Or have I misinterpreted your text?
    It ain't easy bein' green... :-)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

I've never considered that before.. I'm not sure how practical it is, but it sounds very fun!

Total [345]

Lootas [225]
    +12x Lootas
    +3x Mekboyz, 3x Big Shootas
    Battle Wagon [120]
    +4x Big Shootas, Kannon

Very fun indeed! ^-^

It's big, it's expensive, it doesn't claim objectives.. But it makes a lot of noise!
    Last edited by BossGorestompa; April 16th, 2009 at 00:23. Reason: 1+2=4 :)
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x3)

Thats only 345 points BossGorestompa, you got an extra 100 somewhere.

I suppose it could work, but it wouldn't help much outside of keeping them safe. Due to Deffguns being heavy, any movement and they couldn't fire. I suppose it is more reliable than keeping them in cover, but it is a bit of a pointsink to waste a Heavy Support slot just to protect a squad.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

Fixed ^-^ I don't know how I came up with 445...

I don't think it'd be a waste of a Heavy Support.. because it'd be fun!

I'm actually thinking something along these lines..

Total [590]
    Big Mek [85]
    +KFF
    Lootas [210]
    +11x Lootas
    +3x Mekboyz, 3x Big Shootas
    Battle Wagon [120]
    +4x Big Shootas, Kannon

Grots [55]
    +15x Grots
    +Runtherd
    Big Gunz [60]
    +3x Kannons
    Big Gunz [60]
    +3x Kannons

This will give you VERY noisy fire support, as well as some added support for base objective sitters. Should your Battle Wagon ever need to move, you can still make 4x Big Shoota attacks, as well as reposition unit up to 12". Spending a single turn moving to re-align your shots could be far more beneficial than two turns of footslogging..

I'm not saying it's a game winning strategy, just trying to find some practicality in a silly fun idea!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x3)

Now looking at it, that would be quite a fun little unit to put on the field... Its a bit of a point sink, but there are a lot of those in this army.

Gah, now you are making me want to try that out!

Looking at it that way, I think it would be a decent unit, but I wouldn't ever try it in a competetive game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Tarnag View Post
    Thats only 345 points BossGorestompa, you got an extra 100 somewhere.

I suppose it could work, but it wouldn't help much outside of keeping them safe. Due to Deffguns being heavy, any movement and they couldn't fire. I suppose it is more reliable than keeping them in cover, but it is a bit of a pointsink to waste a Heavy Support slot just to protect a squad.
    Mind you, when you look at it that way, even if they weren't in a BW, any movement and they wouldn't be able to fire.
    If you have spare Heavy slots, it might be an idea... but I think its main issue would be that if the BW was destroyed, and they ended up being pinned.

But.. the ability to have them in a vehicle that could drive away from units coming to take out the lootas in close combat would be the advantage. As well as the fact that vehicle would protect them.

As for the BW loadout... I wouldn't give it anymore than the basics... i.e some big shootas and armour plates, that way it stays as cheap as it can be. That would make the whole idea a more viable option I think.
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if you cut the lootas to twelve, you could have a boomgun, plus 4 shootas, plus a kannon, with 9 lootas and 3 meks firing every turn in one spot would be alot of shooting, and they could move to a better spot if needed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Problems

Although it defies normal logic, Orks are safer inside cover than they are when inside a battlewagon. Battlewagons are fine transports, but they make poor bunkers.

Keep in mind that for the cost of a battlewagon you could instead field another unit of 9 lootas, which would be a lot more effective. With the Orks it almost always makes more sense to field multiple units, rather than enhancing the power of a single unit.

Inside cover the lootas would get a 4+ cover save against virtually anything. Inside a transport they can't be targeted, but the transport can, and if it blows up then every loota inside will have to take a strength 3 hit, resulting in 5 wounds and 4-5 kills.

Inside cover, your opponent will have to cause 2 wounds to kill each loota. Inside a battlewagon, a single anti-armor shot can kill 5 or more Orks. It's just not a good idea.

If you really want a shooty battlewagon, then fill it with 20 shoota boyz. That'll do a lot more for you, and you can move and still fire.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

291 (x5)

Hmm.. thanks for raining on my parade, Grax!

I do think the Lootas would be a fun unit to field.. but you're absolutely right about Shoota Boyz.

I'm still going to run it every once and again.. For the pure "Wtf.. you can put THAT MANY big guns in a transport? Whud da frag?" factor. That's the beauty of the Orks, it's a relatively small investment for 1,500 points.. And it doesn't have to be practical to be fun! ^-^

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast