equipping battlewagons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

equipping battlewagons

i want to make my battlewagon a transport, and i know most people say only give it deff rolla and big shoota but to me it kind of seems a waste of a battlewagon. also what weapons/upgrades should i give it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x3)

It depends what you want it to do, for just transporting people, keep it light. Give it a few Big Shootas to protect it from being Immobilized via Weapon Destroyed results, and either a Reinforced Ram or Deffrolla so you can go over terrain without fearing immobilization. Red Paint job can be nice, but 1" never makes a huge difference.

If you want to put more of an investment in it, to make it able to kill more rather than just a transport, give it some more guns. Usually, Big Shootas are the guns of choice, as they are cheap and effective, but giving it Rokkits can be fun (especially if the Wagon is filled with Tankbustas), and a Big Gun is always and effective choice. Kill Kannons can be nice, but a Boomwagon is more efficient, and the expense sometimes isn't worth the benefit.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

That is exactly how you want to equip it. Add armour plates if so you can keep it moving. Going overboard with upgrades and investing too many points on it.. will be a waste of the Battle Wagon.

Deff Rolla to Tank Shock as support for your transported unit.
    Big Shoota so your first Weapon Destroyed result doesn't upgrade to Immobilize.
    Armour Plates so the ever common Crew Stunned is downgraded and your transport can keep rolling.

Anything else.. serves no purpose except to spend more points.

---------- Post added at 22:20 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tarnag View Post
    It depends what you want it to do, for just transporting people, keep it light. Give it a few Big Shootas to protect it from being Immobilized via Weapon Destroyed results, and either a Reinforced Ram or Deffrolla so you can go over terrain without fearing immobilization. Red Paint job can be nice, but 1" never makes a huge difference.

If you want to put more of an investment in it, to make it able to kill more rather than just a transport, give it some more guns. Usually, Big Shootas are the guns of choice, as they are cheap and effective, but giving it Rokkits can be fun (especially if the Wagon is filled with Tankbustas), and a Big Gun is always and effective choice. Kill Kannons can be nice, but a Boomwagon is more efficient, and the expense sometimes isn't worth the benefit.
    Actually, the extra 1" movement either makes a HUGE difference, or no difference at all. There are those times when you're JUST out of range.. but otherwise it's unlikely to make a difference. It is still nice to be able to move 7" at Combat Speed, though.

For transports, you never really need more than 1 Big Shoota. You're highly unlikely to suffer more than 1 Weapon Destroyed.

Adding more weapons to make it more killy.. means it has to be less move-y.. which actually makes it less killy, as you'll spend your turns shooting with BS2 when you could Tank Shock with 1d6 Str 10 hits. That's more killy than a few Big Shootas... for a Transport, at least.

Rokkit Launchas are rather moot, as they're better placed on Killa Kanz (BS 3) or Buggies / Deff Koptas (Twin Linked) where they're actually likely to hit.

Kill Kannon is.. I suppose it could be effective.. if you're transporting a small mob. But otherwise the 24" range is highly unappealing. I'd still rather Tank Shock.
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

For me its:
    • 1-2 Big Shootas.
    • Deff Rolla OR Reinforced Ram
    • Armour plates
    • Grot Riggers

Deff Rollas are more fun, but if you don't want one for because of the points cost, at least take a reinforced ram.
    In my opinion, all of your orky transports need to have this awesome upgrade, even battlewagons.
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Toastee View Post
    For me its:
    • 1-2 Big Shootas.
    • Deff Rolla OR Reinforced Ram
    • Armour plates
    • Grot Riggers

Deff Rollas are more fun, but if you don't want one for because of the points cost, at least take a reinforced ram.
    In my opinion, all of your orky transports need to have this awesome upgrade, even battlewagons.
    The Fox speaks the truth...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Transport Battlewagons stay cheap. Big Shoota, Deff Rolla, Armor Plates, Grot Riggers, Red Paint and Kannon if points allow. This lets ==Me== field plenty and it does it's job (ramming 20 boyz down your throat).
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Cost effectiveness

Battlewagon transports, with a single gun, grot riggers, deffrolla, and armor plates if you like, is a fantastic investment and a great addition to any Ork army.

As I've mentioned before, battlewagons loaded up with guns are a waste. Killkannons aren't nearly as cost effective as looted boomguns. Kannon/Rokkit battlewagons aren't nearly as cost effective as rokkit buggies or killa kans (and they get to move and shoot everything). Big shoota battlewagons aren't nearly as good as lootas or big shoota buggies, not in any conceivable way. They just don't make sense.

A battlewagon with 4 big shootas and an 'ard case costs 120 points, about the same as 8 lootas, or 4 big shoota buggies. The wagon gets 12 big shoota shots = 4 hits = 2-3 wounds against T4 troops OR 0-1 glancing/penetrating hits against AR 10-11 vehicles. The big shoota buggies (in 2 units of 2) get 8 hits = 5-6 wounds against T4 troops OR 1-2 glancing/penetrating hits against AR 10-11 vehicles. Even better, the buggies can move 12in and still fire all their guns.

Lootas come out even better against armor, with 16 shots on average = 5-6 hits = 4-5 wounds OR 3-4 glancing/penetrating hits against AR 10-11, and they can pen AR 12 and glance AR 13.

No matter how you equip a battlewagon, you're limited by the fact that it has to sit still in order to fire everything, and a single anti-armor shot can destroy it all. If you really want a gunwagon, just equip it like a normal transport, and fill it with 20 shoota boyz. Now that's a lot of dakka! ^_^
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

+ Reply to Thread