Advice versus wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Member adhesivespatula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    15 (x1)

    Advice versus wolves

    playing against Space Wolves soon, I would love some tips from veteran Tau! 750 point game, which means small tables, I believe hes using a drop pod.

    Thanks in advance!

    0/0/0 Dark Eldar 0/0/0 Skaven0/0/0 Chaos Dwarfs
    Starting on January 1st 2010


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,841
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

    Keep mobile, so XV8 Elite units, Fire Warriors in Devilfish etc. Remember that if the SW player is using Blood Claws, they have to assault an enemy within 6" unless the unit is led by an IC. The trick here is to use one of the Devilfish (upgraded with Flechettes) to trail the BCs all round the board. Just be wary of Powerfists.

    Plasma/Missile Pods on Crisis, with Fish of Fury attacks from the Fire Warriors in the DFs will take things down but be selective and take out a unit at a time. Don't split your firepower up.

    HQ guy should be a Shas'el Fireknife+ (MP/PR/TA/HWMT = 97pts)

    E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

  4. #3
    The deep down truth Rikimaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    York
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,714
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by eiglepulper View Post
    Keep mobile, so XV8 Elite units, Fire Warriors in Devilfish etc. Remember that if the SW player is using Blood Claws, they have to assault an enemy within 6" unless the unit is led by an IC. The trick here is to use one of the Devilfish (upgraded with Flechettes) to trail the BCs all round the board. Just be wary of Powerfists.

    Plasma/Missile Pods on Crisis, with Fish of Fury attacks from the Fire Warriors in the DFs will take things down but be selective and take out a unit at a time. Don't split your firepower up.

    HQ guy should be a Shas'el Fireknife+ (MP/PR/TA/HWMT = 97pts)

    E.
    It is rare to find any Wolves player who takes Blood claws without an Independent character attached to the unit, taking an IC means the "charging towards the nearest unit" rule is not used.

    It is very hard to give any advice without knowing what list he will be using. I play Wolves and the assault is what most Wolves players go for. I can envisage the Wolves player taking a Grey Hunter squad probably with a Power weapon and Powerfist and an attached Wolf Guard leader, they may well be in a Rhino. I would be very surprised if a Blood claws pack was not included (again with PW and PF's) and this will usually include an IC (possibly a Wolf Priest because they are effective and have an Iron Wolf amulet in its cost) again in a Rhino.
    I will be surprised if the drop pod does not deliver a Venerable Dread. Heavy may well be a Long fangs squad or a Predator. Some Wolves like to use Scouts and Bike units and these two units can be vicious, I use a Wolf Lord on a bike with power weapon and he is vicious

    if I was facing this lot I would be taking a Shas'El with Plasma and MP, TA and HW Multi, 2 Deathrains with TA (Monats) to stop those vehicles, unit of Fire Warriors in a Devilfish, a cheap Kroot unit and a Hammerhead with Railgun for taking down both troops and vehicles. Lastly a Piranha would be handy as it has the mobility to really frustrate the units and could take down the Rhinos or tanks.
    Keep the FW squad mobile in the Devilfish, use the Kroot to infiltrate to gain good position and use the Hammerhead to take down any vehicles and also to submunnition his troops. Keep the Deathrains at maximum range and in cover. Most important thing is do not get into close combat even with the Kroot (use their guns).
    Keep mobile and pour fire into the units from range. Keeping mobile will also limit the effectiveness of the drop pod.

    Can you post a lit of the Wolves players army? if you can we can advise in more depth.
    1984

  5. #4
    The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,841
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    It is rare to find any Wolves player who takes Blood claws without an Independent character attached to the unit, taking an IC means the "charging towards the nearest unit" rule is not used.
    Heh heh! I'm rare, am I? That's nice to know. ;P

    @adhesivespatula:
    As Riki said, it is a bit hard to give constructive suggestions when we don't really know the make-up of the opposing army. That's why you've got the sort of replies we've given. Having said all that, you can't go too far wrong with the set-up that has been put forward. Just don't wait till you see the whites of their eyes before you get outta Dodge; Kroot are no match for Space Wolves in combat.

    If it were me taking Blood Claws and Grey Hunters with an IC - since you can only have one in a 750pt SW army list - I would tend to give the IC to the Grey Hunters, as they are better shots, better combat troops and also more expensive per model. A Wolf Priest with Healing Potions gets you a nasty character with the ability to "ignore" a failed save per turn for the unit he's with (with restrictions of course), making the Grey Hunters that much nastier. Let the BCs loose on the enemy is my motto, but that's why I suggested the "Chase the big metal flying stick" idea as it effectively partially removes the threat of the BCs from the game. You could always paint "Here boy!!" on the rear of your vehicle....sorry, I digress.

    If you could also give us a list of the models you have available to use, we could also tailor things much better too. No point suggesting you use a Broadside if you don't actually possess one!

    E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

  6. #5
    The deep down truth Rikimaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    York
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,714
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by eiglepulper View Post
    Heh heh! I'm rare, am I? That's nice to know. ;P
    I was thinking more of the larger points armies, where two IC's are viable. In 750pts battles it is a bit harder to guess what the Wolves player will use.
    1984

  7. #6
    Member adhesivespatula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    15 (x1)

    Thanks for all the help so far guys! The reason I don't have a list of his i that its a league, so I won't see it till I actually play him. That being said, these are the Tau I have at the moment :

    1x Crisis suit
    3x Stealth suits
    24x Fire warriors
    1x Hammerhead w/ Railgun
    1x Hammerhead w/ Ion Cannon
    8x Gun Drones
    1x Markerlight Drone
    3x Broadsides

    The last time I saw him play there was a drop pod and a rhino, I remember that. I believe there were some wolves too, and there was a dude with them. I know that's vague but I have no experience with Space Wolves.

    Thanks for all the help so far, any other thoughts or ideas?
    0/0/0 Dark Eldar 0/0/0 Skaven0/0/0 Chaos Dwarfs
    Starting on January 1st 2010


  8. #7
    The deep down truth Rikimaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    York
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,714
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by adhesivespatula View Post
    Thanks for all the help so far guys! The reason I don't have a list of his i that its a league, so I won't see it till I actually play him. That being said, these are the Tau I have at the moment :

    1x Crisis suit
    3x Stealth suits
    24x Fire warriors
    1x Hammerhead w/ Railgun
    1x Hammerhead w/ Ion Cannon
    8x Gun Drones
    1x Markerlight Drone
    3x Broadsides

    The last time I saw him play there was a drop pod and a rhino, I remember that. I believe there were some wolves too, and there was a dude with them. I know that's vague but I have no experience with Space Wolves.

    Thanks for all the help so far, any other thoughts or ideas?
    Do you think he will include a Dreadnought? and does he take any armour like Preds or the Leeman Russ? Only asking because it will make it easier to tailor the list. If he concentrates on troops (for the assaults) then what is needed will be very different to what will be needed if he takes armour and the Dread.
    1984

  9. #8
    Member adhesivespatula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    15 (x1)

    I did not see a dreadnought, I believe the drop pod had a unit of warriors in it though. From the quick glance I got he had no vehicles I could see, other than a Rhino.
    0/0/0 Dark Eldar 0/0/0 Skaven0/0/0 Chaos Dwarfs
    Starting on January 1st 2010


  10. #9
    The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,841
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

    Ok, that SW lot sounds like a bit of a foot-slogger army which suits us quite well. The Drop Pod is the only fly in the ointment as we don't know what will be fielded in it.

    1) Dude with wolves will be either a Wolf Priest or a Wolf Lord. I'm going to guess it'll be the Priest for the cost reasons and benefits mentioned earlier, since this is a 750pt list. For that cost reason too it is unlikely that he will field the Fenrisian Wolves. Put it this way - *I* wouldn't be using up my points like that.

    2) If you saw a Rhino, then he will probably have the obligatory Grey Hunter squad in it. Nail that transport and he has a problem getting that GH? unit to your lines.

    3) If you think that there was a unit of warriors in the Drop Pod, then that is likely to be a second Grey Hunter unit. It sounds like he may not have that Dreadnought that Riki was thinking about, but you can't take that chance of course.

    Well now, what would we be looking at to counter some of this?

    HQ: Shas'el Fireknife+ as mentioned before. Excellent accuracy, missile pod able to take on and neutralise the Rhino or the Drop Pod, with the Plasma Rifle there for negating the MEq save. A nasty and effective Commander, but needs to be kept safe. Always remember that the Jump-Shoot-Jump ability effectively adds 6" to the range of your weapons, so you should not have to get too close. Cost: 97pts

    Troops: You have 24 Fire Warriors, so I would split them into 3 teams of 8. Each would take a Shas'ui with HWTL/BK/ML to get some extra Leadership, some protection for rallying and some bonus for other units' shooting with the Markerlights. As you have no Devilfish, these guys are going to be static so you need to find solid cover on a high place to make any assault difficult but also to allow you plenty of firing lanes. Cost: 330pts

    Heavy Support:
    #1: a couple of Broadsides with ASS, and a Team Leader upgrade with a HWDC and that Marker Drone will give you a highly accurate shooting ability to take down any vehicles in the initial turns, followed by multiple shots from the SMS in later turns to plaster a unit of troops with. ASS will allow you to reposition the unit if necessary and still be able to fire the heavy weapons, but NOT the Networked Markerlight of the Marker Drone as the Drone does not have ASS. Cost: 195pts

    #2: Hammerhead with Ion Cannon, Multitracker, Burst Cannons and Disruption Pod: The Ion Cannon is useful against MEq armour, and if you Markerlight the target then you will be hitting with an 84% chance of success rate. The same weapon is also useful against AV13 or less. Cost: 130pts

    This gives you a total of 752pts, so you will need to play around with the list to save yourself some points here and there. Of course, this list is only one suggestion amongst many of the different permutations you could make up with that list of models, so no doubt other Vet Tau players will add their suggestions too.

    E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

  11. #10
    The deep down truth Rikimaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    York
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,714
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by eiglepulper View Post
    Ok, that SW lot sounds like a bit of a foot-slogger army which suits us quite well. The Drop Pod is the only fly in the ointment as we don't know what will be fielded in it.

    1) Dude with wolves will be either a Wolf Priest or a Wolf Lord. I'm going to guess it'll be the Priest for the cost reasons and benefits mentioned earlier, since this is a 750pt list. For that cost reason too it is unlikely that he will field the Fenrisian Wolves. Put it this way - *I* wouldn't be using up my points like that.

    2) If you saw a Rhino, then he will probably have the obligatory Grey Hunter squad in it. Nail that transport and he has a problem getting that GH? unit to your lines.

    3) If you think that there was a unit of warriors in the Drop Pod, then that is likely to be a second Grey Hunter unit. It sounds like he may not have that Dreadnought that Riki was thinking about, but you can't take that chance of course.

    Well now, what would we be looking at to counter some of this?

    HQ: Shas'el Fireknife+ as mentioned before. Excellent accuracy, missile pod able to take on and neutralise the Rhino or the Drop Pod, with the Plasma Rifle there for negating the MEq save. A nasty and effective Commander, but needs to be kept safe. Always remember that the Jump-Shoot-Jump ability effectively adds 6" to the range of your weapons, so you should not have to get too close. Cost: 97pts

    Troops: You have 24 Fire Warriors, so I would split them into 3 teams of 8. Each would take a Shas'ui with HWTL/BK/ML to get some extra Leadership, some protection for rallying and some bonus for other units' shooting with the Markerlights. As you have no Devilfish, these guys are going to be static so you need to find solid cover on a high place to make any assault difficult but also to allow you plenty of firing lanes. Cost: 330pts

    Heavy Support:
    #1: a couple of Broadsides with ASS, and a Team Leader upgrade with a HWDC and that Marker Drone will give you a highly accurate shooting ability to take down any vehicles in the initial turns, followed by multiple shots from the SMS in later turns to plaster a unit of troops with. ASS will allow you to reposition the unit if necessary and still be able to fire the heavy weapons, but NOT the Networked Markerlight of the Marker Drone as the Drone does not have ASS. Cost: 195pts

    #2: Hammerhead with Ion Cannon, Multitracker, Burst Cannons and Disruption Pod: The Ion Cannon is useful against MEq armour, and if you Markerlight the target then you will be hitting with an 84% chance of success rate. The same weapon is also useful against AV13 or less. Cost: 130pts

    This gives you a total of 752pts, so you will need to play around with the list to save yourself some points here and there. Of course, this list is only one suggestion amongst many of the different permutations you could make up with that list of models, so no doubt other Vet Tau players will add their suggestions too.

    E.
    Ditto, do as the Pulper man says. Ya beat me to it dude, I am at work so I was gonna post later but you pretty much covered it. Prettty much, buuuuuttttt not to sure about the XV88's though, they are a bit to static for my liking, especially if facing a Drop pod and Rhino equipped Wolves list. I would go for a couple of Deathrains as they will be very good for stopping the Rhino and also not to shabby at taking down the troops. This would also open up some more points. I will put together a sample list for you later.
    1984

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts