Raider and shooting out of it - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raider and shooting out of it

Hi,
    call me stupid but I don't know if my warriors in raider can fire different target than raider did (assuming raider did move up to 6").

So the situation is: I pop rhino with my dark lance, squad from rhino is out, I want to shoot them with my warriors, can I do that (or can I shoot infantry unit while my raider shoots tank). Is it the same with all transports (rhinos etc. or only with open topped)

Thanks for answers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    367 (x5)

yes, the raider and the unit of warriors can shoot at different targets. It's the same for all transports, but open topped have the advantage of allowing everyone to shoot intead of being limited to a set number of firing ports.
    (WH40K) Dark Eldar - (12,000pts) Sisters of Battle - (5000pts) Dark Angels -(3500pts) (WHFB) Dark Elves - (10,000pts) Beastmen - (5000pts) Empire - (3000pts) Wood Elves - (1500pts)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Ernesto.

You would be correct. The Vehicle and the troops inside are two different units and as such may fire at two different targets. The scenario you gave of the Dark Lance popping the Rhino and the crew shooting up the people that fall out is a perfectly legal tactic.

Warhammer 40k Errata and FAQ's March 2009 (General FAQ) states:

Q. Must passengers fire at the same target that
    their vehicle is firing at?
    A. No, they are a separate unit (albeit they are
    temporarily co-existing with the vehicle) and so
    can fire at a different target.
    Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls.
    These are some of my favourite things.
    - Dracon Borkor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So in 5th ed, can we really not shoot out of a raider if it moved more than 6 inches? Not much of a drive by imho...

But we *could* move 12, disembark, and then shoot? And even assault after that? That seems a bit silly.
    [...] So I burst into his office and exclaimed, quite frankly, "That's Numberwang." As I recall it, he cried.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

exactly, this is most stupid thing ever. I guess it takes much more time to get out of transport, set guns and fire than shooting out of transport but some rules don't make sense at all

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    367 (x5)

I think the concept is more the idea of shooting from an open topped vehicle as it's skimming balls out across an alien landscape. It's similar to the restrictions on shooting vehicle weapons based on speed.
    (WH40K) Dark Eldar - (12,000pts) Sisters of Battle - (5000pts) Dark Angels -(3500pts) (WHFB) Dark Elves - (10,000pts) Beastmen - (5000pts) Empire - (3000pts) Wood Elves - (1500pts)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

I think I'll just digress into logical thoughts for a moment...

If there is enough time to jump out of your transport and shoot as if nothing was different (i.e. no penalty for being jostled by the rapid disembarkation), then there was certainly enough time for the vehicle to slow down and give its passengers a steady firing platform.

If the vehicle was really going way too fast to even fire while on it, disembarking at that speed would an exercise in splattering yourself across the landscape (especially if you wear tinfoil for armor!).

But the rules are that way for gameplay balance, and because we're too dumb for rules that are realistic (unless you were smart enough to read this).

--•-My 40K projects-•--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thoughts exactly

+ Reply to Thread