Deffcoptas - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deffcoptas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deffcoptas

I am little new at 40K but I really like the BR Deffcopta models. I also think that they look great on paper as a support unit. (scout rule, Buzzsaw (no armor save), and twin rockets). Still, I don't see alot of talk about them. Is there sonething I am missing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

No, you're not really missing anything. They're an accent, or spice, to the army.

Yes they are cool models and that's the number one reason to use them. For practical purposes they are best used to run around a flank and shoot rokkits into the sides and rears of vehicles.

Some guys run them in units of five. I don't, so I'll let them talk about that tactic. I'm fine with just one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WARNING: MAY CONTAIN OPINIONS!

As I play smaller games, I like to max out on Boyz, rather than waste points on cool, yet silly models like the Deffkopta. They can be useful when put in the right situation, but I'd rather not sink points on them.

They do have a few practical uses though:

For example, to hastle my friends upcoming 'Nidzilla army (He claims it won't be, but all I'm seeing is Stealerz and MC's.), I like to slap Kustom-Megaz on them and have some AP2 fun. Unreliable as hell but certainly make him sweat.

Another good use is the favourite: The Twin-Linked Rokkitz. This is an excellent way of putting pressure on tanks. Maybe they won't do a Russ (although they usually do ), but they're an excellent way of making tanks have to move, or even expose their back armour to a unit of Lootaz!

And with tanks, if all else fails, you can always assault it, glance it on a 6 (providing it hadn't moved), and take it out of the game for a turn.

As for Buzzsaw'z, I used to take them, but I've seen the light. They're just too expensive to put on a fairly flimsy unit.

Little extra advice, take them in units of one. I don't own any other Fast Attakk at the moment, so I can fill all three slots with single Deffkoptas. Makes it alot easier when coming to targets (Can only kill one at a time) and will bypass any morale checks for shooting casualties.

There's my know-how anyway.
    "Show 'em the gunline, Boss"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by SnotlingFondler View Post
    Little extra advice, take them in units of one. I don't own any other Fast Attakk at the moment, so I can fill all three slots with single Deffkoptas. Makes it alot easier when coming to targets (Can only kill one at a time) and will bypass any morale checks for shooting casualties.
    That's actually a bit of a mistake (EDIT)in my opinion(/EDIT). If you roll an Annihilation mission you are giving your opponent an easy 3 KPs. If they were all in 1 unit it maxes at 1 KP, but placing them all singular like that grants 2 extra KPs over what they'd normally get. Due to flimsy transports Orks are already on the high end of KPs so you want to avoid giving them more.
    Last edited by Monkeyclops; April 29th, 2009 at 16:33.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x3)

I'm with the snot-fondler on this one. One Kopta is fine. Screw kill points. When I pin my my opponent's army to the back of the table and pound it to oblivion under the feet of my boyz there isn't any need to count kill points!

Don't build an army to a scenario....build it to fight the way you like. The victories will happen more often if you do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x2)

If you take 1 Kopta in all, then sure go for it. But if you take 3 lone Koptas you will be hard pressed unless you've built your army low on KPs to begin with. But as I generally run Speed Freaks and have 3+ Trukks I'd rather not give any mroe free KPs away. Having 15+ KPs with 3 of those being Trukks and 3 being lone Deffkoptas will assure you lose to a MEQ who has 8 KPs.

You're right don't build to a single scenerio, build to all 3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x3)

Well then he can look at a table empty of his troops when he claims victory while I proclaim the might of my boyz who destroyed him!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

I love Deff Koptas! They've provided a great support for me in the past, whether shooting up Dreads, or supporting Boyz on their 2nd-3rd round of combat. They're fast and scarily accurate, and can get damn near anywhere they need to be with a little pre-emptive consideration of their placement.

Big Bomms - Horribly cost innefective. But fun! I love loading out 5 Koptas with Big Bomms, outflanking, and turboboosting the turn I arrive to cover half the battlefield with Pie Plates. They might not be too effective for me, as my most common foe is SM.. but it's still fun, and they've caused the right morale checks at the right time once in again.. possibly winning the game. I think, no matter your opponent, even if they think/say "What a waste of points!" they're still going to be at least a little scared of the outcome ^-^

Buzz Saw - Mind you, Deffkoptas are only Str 3 and do not posess Furious Charge, so you're going to hit at Str 6.. But regardless, I like to equip one (maybe two) on my Mobz for the added effect of a combat support unit. Just don't lie to yourself - they're NOT great for anti-tanking.. they can be effective (vs. rear armour 10 ), but are not your universal solution. They're more important for denying MEQ's and the sort their armour saves, ensuring a few casualties for when you save your Boyz from a failing combat.

Kustom Mega Blastas - Don't like them. I'm a fan of throwing an overhelming amount of fire at my foe, which KMBs don't provide.

TL Big Shootas - My favorite shooty weapon for these Boyz.. Great range, and with it being Twin Linked, you can drop a fear inducing amount of wounds. Koptaz being Jetbikes and all, Big Shootas are just as great anti-armour as Rokkits, provided you're shooting at Rear AV of 10.

TL Rokkits - Despite what I've said above, I'll often pay for the upgrade if I've already got a few units of Bikers (as they've already provided enough dakka). Being twin linked, instant death (for T4 and below) and AP 3, they're not exactly a bucket full of dice.. but they're powerful and accurate enough to fit the bill, overhwelming the opponent with deadlier shots.

I think I covered all their upgrades.. Cheers!
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a note on kill points: I play victory points for Annihilation, old school, as otherwise things are a litte rigged. For example, the guard are sodomized, having oodles of units, whereas Nidz and Marines come in small, tough, elite units. I find victory points more balanced., and miss the old rules :'(
    "Show 'em the gunline, Boss"

+ Reply to Thread