I am brand spankin' new at this - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am brand spankin' new at this

While checking out a hobby store in the town I will be going to college at I decided to start up on Warhammer 40k. I have thought about it before, but since nobody in my town plays to my knowledge and there is no place to buy the minis I decided against it. I will however be going to college in September, and probably be a regular at the previously mentioned game store. Since I am posting in this forum you can probably guess I will be playing Tau. I was short on cash when I went to the store so I only picked up the battleforce box (and a few CBT minis, my origional reason for going to the store).

Right now however I am having a bit of a crisis. And that is determining what bloody weapons I am actually putting on my units. Namely the special upgrades. The weapons are relatively obvious. Still It would be nice to know that I am not completely borking my units. Is there a site I can go to that just simply shows a picture like Multi-tracker looks like (shows picture).

Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

I assume you're having trouble deciding what weapons to put on your Crisis suits, because Fire-Warriors take Pulse Rifles. Check out the sticky by our resident Tau expert Rikimaru, he gives a very detailed analysis of the common Crisis load-outs.
    Last edited by counterwavecounter; May 3rd, 2009 at 13:24.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

The Fabulous Pyramids and Necropolis of Lost Lybaras
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x1)

Hello Zeev,

The War Store, a very well known online gaming store has Tau bitz for sale. You can look through their catalog, see what's what, and order extras

Tau Empire Bits

Hope this helps!

Frankie

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeev View Post
    While checking out a hobby store in the town I will be going to college at I decided to start up on Warhammer 40k. I have thought about it before, but since nobody in my town plays to my knowledge and there is no place to buy the minis I decided against it. I will however be going to college in September, and probably be a regular at the previously mentioned game store. Since I am posting in this forum you can probably guess I will be playing Tau. I was short on cash when I went to the store so I only picked up the battleforce box (and a few CBT minis, my origional reason for going to the store).

Right now however I am having a bit of a crisis. And that is determining what bloody weapons I am actually putting on my units. Namely the special upgrades. The weapons are relatively obvious. Still It would be nice to know that I am not completely borking my units. Is there a site I can go to that just simply shows a picture like Multi-tracker looks like (shows picture).

Thank you in advance.
    One question do you own the codex?

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Yes, that had occurred to me too - the answers to the "What's this bit then?" are all (well almost all) included in the latter pages of the Tau Empire Codex.

Standard Crisis suit upgrades:
    1. Shield Generator: small flat circular item.
    2. Multitracker/Drone Controller: small blob with raised bumps and an antenna.
    3. Target Lock: small rectangular (almost) item tapered at one end and lenses at the other.

The Commander's suit also has a couple of special upgrades but I don't have immediate access to my codex to be able to describe them to you.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all, and yes, I do own the Codex Riki. The Crisis I am using has the multi-tracker/drone controller, and the umm target lock i think. It seems to be the Centurion model.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Thank you all, and yes, I do own the Codex Riki. The Crisis I am using has the multi-tracker/drone controller, and the umm target lock i think. It seems to be the Centurion model.
    Good you have the codex, you would not believe how many players buy loads of models before the codex. All the items are pictured on pages 52 & 53 along with the weapons and XV25's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you riki,

I actually did buy my battleforce box before the codex (the store was out of Tau codex books) but i ordered the book online the next day. Since I was told by a few of the players there that the battleforce box set was a good starting point I decided to go ahead and get it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

724 (x8)

Thank you riki,

I actually did buy my battleforce box before the codex (the store was out of Tau codex books) but i ordered the book online the next day. Since I was told by a few of the players there that the battleforce box set was a good starting point I decided to go ahead and get it.
    If you need any more help you know where we are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

The tau battleforce is a great place to start for your army. Unlike some of the other battleforce's available it actually will give you a good starting point for your army.

Not maxing out the point costs for your units, you are looking at about 500 points. I would suggest picking up another to fill out your army.

Some useful tips I have used to save some cash while filling out my army.

When buying hammerheads it's usually a good idea to get the Skyray as it will come with everything you need to make the hammerhead as well.

The other good idea for your crisis suits is to magnetize the weapon mounts. I have just started to do this (really only on my newest commander) and it has already proved how worthwhile it is to do. Sure, it will take a little extra money and some time but in the long run will save you a ton of money as you can easily swap out your armament for your suits instead of having to get a whole new model.

If you choose to use pathfinders, I suggest just using Fire warriors with pulse carbines. Cheaper and easier to assemble, paint and even convert should you want to do this. Plus, if you ever choose to run some squads of pulse carbine fire warriors, you already have some.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast