New Bug players - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Bug players

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

New Bug players

Hey, I'm a seasoned player of 40k, but relatively new to bugs. I actually looked at their codex with seriousness for the first time last week and found a lot of their things to be intriguing. I'm somehow pulled to play them as they look like dinosaurs and that's enough reason for me. Anyways, The standard points played here is 2000 and I was setting up my list for 100 Hormagaunts, and fill in the rest with warriors and/or zoanthropes/lictors. I was looking through the army list section and notice a lot of people don't run Gaunt/Warrior heavy lists, is there reason for this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a primarily Tau player also just starting with 'nids, I'm afraid I can't really answer your question. However, 100 hormagaunts sounds like an amazing core for an army. Of course being unable to buy hormagaunts without getting 8 of the standard shooty variety, you're gonna have a whoooole lot of spare gaunts on your hands

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably the main reason why people dont run heavy gaunt/warrior lists is because of their anti armor weakness. However you might be able to solve that with 2 carnifexes probably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Hormagaunts are insanely expensive for what they are. Some people really like them even though they are not the most efficient for the points.

Warriors are nice, but fragile. If you rely on them solely for synapse they'll die quickly and then your gaunts won't last. The big reason people use Tyrants for their HQ choice is for the dakka-tyrant. 2x TL Dev leads to 12 heavy bolter strength shots with rerolls on everything. It's just too good.

I like running 6 warriors with death spitters and a few upgrades. It makes for a fun unit, but the variance is so high with the scatter that it can be frustrating.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

I like my warriors Elite and shooty. Give them TL Deathspitters, EC for survivability and you won't have to worry about scatter that much. Boost their strength if you really want to go crazy (a bit risky, IMHO).
    As for Synapse, you'll really need Tyrants.
    Necron Army Building Maxima: Beware of Phase Out
    Tervigon Conversion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100 hormagaunts is a lot to field. And a lot to shoot at. Hormies are expensive for what they do (compare it to an Ork boy, or even IG), and their problem is that hormagaunt units can and do get shot and wiped out easily. But with such numbers you wont loose too many unless facing a dedicated anti-horde list, so a huge amount should survive enemy shooting to make close combat.

It sounds very reliant on the enemy having minimal anti-horde and minimal armour.

Its nice to see a Nid player wanting to out horde Orks and guard though..
    As of Tyranid 5th Ed. codex I have the Gaunts I wanted. I did, however, loose the sniperfexs I relied upon and they were more important then the gaunts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Consider having Toxin Sacs on some of those squads. That makes it possible for them to take down most enemy tanks except for those with heavier back armor.
    Tyranids & Daemons: Soul & Biomatter please.

LO Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

Giving them toxin sacks makes them even more expensive, im not sure i would recommend if he is planning a hoard army. If you are indeed doing a haord army your best bet is probaly spineguants (with) without number. I recommend this soley because as a a nid/SM/CSM player i know nids die to template/blast weapons. A couple of plasma cannon shots and your 1k pts of hormies are gone and never coming back, while WoN guants will come back in endless tides. If you are still hip on the 100 hormies then take some genestealers and deepstrike them into the back of their army and tie up shooty squads.

Thats my 2 cents, GL

NiD

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

Hormagaunts can be quite killy with a couple of upgrades, but they die easily and are pretty expensive point wise. Normal guants just roll over in CC no matter how big the unit is because you need a lot of attacks and the charge in order to win in CC and normal guants are just so bad at it. Also, smaller units of gaunts free up more points that can be used elsewhere, and with WoN the gaunts keep coming back so we don't need larger units.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

+ Reply to Thread