First Tau Story (unfinished) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PRELUDE

Garricksburg SW Residential Block, Sy'l'kell Minoris, Imperial Year 984.M41

The battlesuit's jumpjets fired, giving the XV8 a panoramic view of the pit as its burst cannon scanned the hole for survivors. What was once a Rhino APC littered the bottom of the twenty-foot deep hole, the result of a significant tactical error on the driver's part. Shas'vre Fal'shia Kauyon Yr Nan listened to the communcations chatter of his Cadre as a group of Kor'vesa buzzed around him. The city was quieter now - now that the battle was over. Grey, almost-monolithic ruins surrounded the Shas'vre, the ugly architecture typical of Gue'la design. He had barely survived the clash with the Salamanders, his Shas'o and his squadmates having fallen to the Space Marines' formidable weaponry. Reflecting on this, the Tau flew out of the ruin he was taking cover in to survey the street. Immense amounts of weapons fire had graced this street, and craters dotted the road as if some giant had skipped down the concrete in a drunken stupor.
    Passing the wrecked suit of his fallen Commander, the Shas'vre finally acknowledged the calls of his fellow Fire Warriors, taking charge of the situation.
    "Sir, the enemy is retreating, their war machines are moving back towards their lines. Victory is ours." A particularly jubilant Shas'ui informed Kauyon, his Fire Warrior team positioned in a bombed-out building overlooking the street. The Shas'vre turned his suit's helmet, and sure enough, the defeated Gue'la were returning to their camps, no doubt ashamed at their failure to retake the city. A Devilfish skimmed out between two walls to pursue the beaten foe, but a quick, sharp order from Kauyon halted the skimmer in its tracks. Following the crude machines was as dishonourable as it was pointless, since the Humans would almost certainly have numerous ambush-points and traps covering their escape route. Sporadic bursts of fire from the two Fire Warrior teams eliminated more of the Humans as they retreated, punishing them for the death of such a well-loved and adored commander. Shas'o Tash'var Ol Mont'ka Shas'shi had served the Ethereals and the Greater Good for many a decade, and to be killed by one of the Gue'la's primitive laser weapons was a fate that should have been for some lesser being. His loss would be greatly mourned.
    Kauyon, a usually calm and reserved warrior, felt anger rising like a thunderhead as he approached the corpse of the Salamander commander, whom he himself had dispatched earlier in a furious hail of plasma. The Tau inspected the body carefully, taking note of the green power armour.
    From this day forward, The Fire Warrior vowed, I shall bring death to the Gue'la and their armies, destroy their machines, liberate their worlds, show them the Light of the Greater Good. O'Mont'ka will be avenged.

Myrithar Plateau, Yaranthis, Imperial Year 999.M41

"Shas'vre, you may begin."
    The twin suns of the Malacai system bore down upon the barren plateau, the intense heat creating high winds, which in turn produced violent dust storms which rampaged unchecked across the arid landscape. A single, prominent feature domininated the otherwise-flat terrain, its metallic sheen dulled here and there by patchs of reddy-brown dust. An Imperial communications base, home to the illustrious 16th Myrithar Armoured Dragoons, the so-called 'Desert Rats.' Around the complex lay multiple repair bays and garages for the garrison's myriad fighting vehicles, and security for these prime targets was surprisingly lax.
    Major Tobias Jaeger sat in his office, going over the large amounts of paperwork that comes with such a posting. A Cadian by birth, the officer had been sent to what he considered a backwater world to improve the lower-than-average security. Expecting nothing more than a few lazy officers deserving of a Commissar's fearsome wrath, the Major had arrived to find planetary security falling apart, with horrifyingly-large gaps in base protection on a scale he had never before seen in his service to the Emperor. A tread-head at heart, he naturally fit in well with his men, and understood their motives. All this hard work, for a man barely alive on a planet thousands of light-years away? The Major was surprised at himself, and as is appropriate to a man of his rank he shunned the thought immediately. It was not that he misunderstood the role the Emperor filled, his respect for the man was unparalleled. But surely there was some other way...something less corrupt and oppressive. The officer swore, and focused more intently on his work to get rid of such blasphemous thoughts.
    Chimera No. 9 needs to have the jam in its turret fixed, or else...
    A heart-stopping explosion ripped through the base, catching the Major completely unawares. The man soon regained his composure, however, and reached for his two bolt-pistols, striding out the door of his office. The explosion had come from the east garage....Emperor's mercy, the ammunition stores! Tobias hit the dirt as his fears were confirmed in a fiery conflaguration that levelled the entire eastern sector of the base. Over the roar of the flames the human could now hear the sounds of light-weapons fire erupting all over the base. The familiar crack of lasguns mingled with the electric whir of alien weaponry, and the shouts of dying men filled his ears.
    By some quirk of fate, the commander's personal Leman Russ rumbled out of the remains of the eastern base, its turret swivelling from left to right in search of the as-of-yet unknown enemy. As the great vehicle rolled towards him, the Major recognized the occupant of the tank's cupola: Commissar Drakenhurst. The Major got up immediately, not wishing to be the recipient of the Commissar's punishing retribution. With a glare, Drakenhurst began to say something, but was drowned out by the scream of an aircraft's engines as it filled the Major's ears. Dropping from the sky like an angel of death, a Tau Barracuda roared down over the plateau and fired its Ion Cannon at the parked tank. With a look of horror the Major watched as the energy beam blasted through the side armour of the Leman Russ, ripping the war machine apart as its internal fuel and ammunition stores detonated. Drakenhurst looked at the Major, seemingly stunned at the audacity of the xenos before being consumed by the ensuing firestorm. The sleek fighter roared overhead, rupturing the man's eardrums with a sonic boom. Stunned, shocked and overwhelmed by the Tau attack, the Major fell to his knees at the southern defence turrets were systematically destroyed by long-range railgun fire, and Orca dropships fell from the sky to deliver their cargo of Fire Warriors. Crisis teams swooped in, riding on their jumpjets as they eliminated the last of the Imperial resistance. Devilfish skimmed past the remains of the southern gate, moving quickly to secure the most important areas. And as Jaeger fainted, he caught a glimpse of a XV15 team emerging from the now-burning eastern garage, their dark armour oddly blurry to the man's eyes.
    A few seconds later a triumphant Shas'o landed his XV8 mere centimetres from the Major's head.
    -------------------------------------------
    More is on the way, but first I'd like to see what you guys think of it.

"...But know this: We are the Tau, emissaries of the Greater Good, and we will not rest until we see this galaxy brought into the freedom of the Tau'va.

Our day will come. And it is coming soon."

~ attr. Shas'o Fal'shia Kauyon Yr Nan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x3)

Great! Fantastic! Amazing Detail!
    You cannot win, for to fight us is to give us power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My sincerest apologies for my long absence, but schoolwork has been chewing up my time. However, it is the school holidays for me now, so I am able to continue practically unhindered. And btw, I hope you all like Cityfight.

Beneath The Grand Palace, Rodina, Yaranthis

High Priest Cyr stood, surveying his loyal followers. Above, below and around him lay dozens...if not hundreds of cultists, all grovelling in praise of the artefact. The Loremaster himself was uttering thanks, blasphemous words to the Imperial Faith.
    The object of their worship was a large statue, not more than 8 metres high, in the image of a large bird of prey, wings outstretched. In its mighty talons was a large staff, adorned with all kinds of Tzeentchian iconography, and around its base lay carved scrolls, books and other symbols of knowledge.
    This is truly hallowed ground. Antonidas thought. Soon, the glory of the Patterner will be made manifest! The man's cold heart throbbed with unnatural joy. He urged his fellow cultists onwards, impatient to complete the ritual.
    Suddenly, a strange, yet infinately and incomprehensibly wise sounding voice entered his head.
    "You have done well, faithful servant. You have accomplished much."
    "Master? Is that you?" Cyr spoke aloud, making a few heads turn.
    " Yes, it is I, the Patterner. Your Lord and Master. It is time for you to ascend, Antonidas." The Voice of the Patterner lowered to almost a whisper, sensing the great excitement building in the mortal. "Approach the Key. Rend the Staff from its claws. Take... ...what is rightfully yours."
    Antonidas obeyed his master's command. Approaching painfully slowly, almost stumbling towards the great idol, the man attracted the attention of more of his followers, who had stopped their fanatical worship to watch their Priest. The robed man stepped up to the base of the statue, whose eyes were now glowing a bright blue. Expecting it to be stuck fast, Cyr pulled hard on the staff, but instead he found that it came away easily, and the momentum of his pull pushed him backwards.
    As the great power from the Staff took hold of him, the human let out a stifled scream. Meridias moved quickly to assist his master, appearing almost instantaneously out of the crowd. The loyal servant knelt down beside Antonidas, and the whole cavern fell quiet with a deathly hush.

Outskirts Of Rodina, Yaranthis

"Of all the combat missions I have taken part in, this has to be the most amusing I have ever had the honour of seeing." Shas'vre Fal'shia Or'es chuckled, taking notes of his prizes. He and his Tal'lissera, through a relatively simple procedure of
    hiding and appearing from nowhere, had scared an entire infantry platoon into surrendering. Apparently, the Lieutenant in charge had perceived that there were hundreds of Tau surrounding his field HQ, and had promptly shot himself (Shas'vre Or'es had concluded that he was a junior officer, not even 25 years of age, and was probably paranoid). This fortunate turn of events for the Tau had demoralized the whole platoon, and the Stealth team had basically entered the HQ without hinderance.
    "It's alright guys, he says that if we lay down our weapons and stop fighting them, they won't kill us." Lieutenant DeJano, now working as a temporary translator, told the disheartened command squad. He too had believed the Shas'vre's ploy, and had readily offered to enlighten his comrades to their supposed predicament.
    "Oh, well that's convieniant." Sergeant Miks said sarcastically, too tired to bother raising his plasma gun at the xeno visitors. "And besides, the Commissar would have us shot." Murmurs of agreement ran through the assembled squad, which had taken up residence in an old librarium.
    "I assure you, no harm from us nor acts of retribution from your peers will fall upon you." The Shas'vre, who had studied enough of the Gue'la tongue to make himself understood, sounded metallic and old through the battlesuit's helmet. "Our forces will soon have control of the city, and anyone will wishes will become a part of the Tau Empire." The Tau fell silent to allow the men to hear the distant rumbles of explosions, to emphasise his point.
    "In our Empire, we value-" The Shas'vre's speech on Tau culture was cut short by a new sound. A steady thump, emanating from down the street. "Mon'tyr, what is that?" Or'es suddenly reverted back into the Tau language, speaking to his forward lookout through his commlink.
    "Can't see anything yet....wait....by the Greater Good! TITAN! INCOMING GUE'LA TITAN DOWN THE MAINSTREET!"
    "...But know this: We are the Tau, emissaries of the Greater Good, and we will not rest until we see this galaxy brought into the freedom of the Tau'va.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oooooohhhhh titan - ow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great story...the fear of the big lumbering beast reminds me of the royal tigers in Saving Private Ryan...Titans...(shudders). Keep up the great work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rodina's Mainstreet, Yaranthis

"Advance 300 metres."

The Warhound Titan known as Arbiter Imperialis rumbled forwards, crushing a civilian recreational vehicle beneath its adamantium feet. Troops of both sides scurried in fear at the giant Imperial war machine, desperate to get out of its path. The Titan's curved torso swayed as it surveyed the street, its Machine Spirit eager for a target.
    Helcarth was a blessed man. Arbiter Imperialis was an ancient, and highly revered machine dating back to before the Horus Heresy. Its smooth armour plates were a technological mystery to the local Adeptus Mechanicus, the processes and procedures required to produce them had been lost in the murky mists of time many millenia beforehand. Despite its age, the Arbiter was just as lethal as it was thousands of years ago.
    "Where are those heavy flyers!?" Helcarth demanded, rightly worried of the Manta's fearsome Titan-killing abilities.
    "Currently circling the city outskirts sir. They have not yet advanced on our position." One of the Adeptus Titanicus crewmen replied.
    "Good. If they make a move in our direction, inform me. Speed is of the utmost importance when dealing with these Tau their Emperor-damned guns."
    The Warhound suddenly shook as the Titan fired its mighty blastgun. A great beam of superheated plasma erupted from the gun's barrel, and promptly vaporised a lone Tau on a manufactorium roof. A large, gaping hole was left in the side of the building, giving the impression that some giant had taken a bite out of the industrial complex.
    "Excellent shooting. I see you have recalibrated the Machine Spirit's fire control. I didn't spot that one." Helcarth complimented his crew cheerfully, feeling quite at home inside his adamantium shell of walking destruction.
    "MON'TYR!" Shas'vre Or'es cried out, stunned by the sudden loss of his Tal'lissera comrade. However, his grief was short-lived, as the Shas'o himself came on the communications frequency.

"Shas'vre, I have been informed of the Gue'la's little toy and have formulated a suitable counteract-"
    "With all due respect sir, that is no children's trinket. It killed one of my Tal'lissera!" Or'es, still rather overcome by his loss, interrupted his own Shas'o. The Tau Commander halted the advance of his own team, softly landing on the top of a residential block with his XV8. Fortunately, he understood his Shas brother's pain and was patient with the Shas'vre.
    "Would you like a chance at revenge? Manta Two is going to try and destroy that monster, but we need the bait to execute the Kauyon."
    "Yes, Shas'o. Thank you sir, and my apologies. I should not have interjected."
    "I understand. I am sending the coordinates for the planned Kauyon to you now. Good luck, and good hunting." The Shas'o then went off the air, and promptly dropped down into an adjoining street in order to flank a seperate Gue'la platoon.

Shas'vre Or'es turned towards the remaining members of his team. The humans were simply staring in awe at the passing Titan, the presence of the xenos long since forgotten in their minds.
    "Brothers, the Shas'o has enlightened me to a planned Kauyon maneuver to be enacted on that metal monstrosity. We, as usual, are the bait. From the coordinates the Shas'o gave me I have concluded that we are to attract the brute's attention, draw it along the mainstreet and bring it into a sidestreet joining the main road. It is there that Manta Two will make the kill, with the side road being an adequate firing lane for its ion cannons and railguns. Is everything understood?" Shas'vre spelled out the standard Tau battleplan to his kin matter-of-factly. His Tal'lissera nodded solemnly, still recovering from the loss of their comrade.
    "Alright. Now, let the hunt begin!" Or'es activated his holographic fields, and flew out of the librarium, his team following close behind. A self-made expert at what can only be described as 'big game hunting,' the Shas'vre had already single-handedly killed an Eldar Wraithlord and Falcon Grav-tank in an earlier mission (Author's note: Yes, my wonderful little Stealth Shas'vre has indeed taken out a Wraithlord and a Falcon, much to the disbelief and botheration of their owner). A Gue'la Titan would be a most spectacular kill to put down in his logs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at the risk of repeating myself - amazing - you should submit your stories to the black libary you get 25% of the profit they make according to a freind (i know that's not exactly a good back up for my info but there you go.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by FIREWARRIOR@Sep 22 2003, 12:53
    at the risk of repeating myself - amazing - you should submit your stories to the black libary you get 25% of the profit they make according to a freind (i know that's not exactly a good back up for my info but there you go.)
    [snapback]41365[/snapback]
    oh wat u made im sell it now i won't get to read it 4 free

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*looks in surprise*

My thread's still here? :blink:

Ahem, my apologies, one and all. Before I go any further, I should explain what happened, and why my writing trailed off into nothing.

First of all, after Fire Warrior came out, quite a bit of new fluff appeared in the accompanying novel which basically blew portions of what I wrote out of the water, for example, the didactic learning nodules implanted in every Tau from birth, allowing them to understand alien languages without actually having to learn them. This leaves Shas'o Kauyon looking rather stupid in my story, as he has had to 'put a lot of effort into learning High Gothic.'
    Whilst being a relatively minor mistake, there are more of them in there, which has led me to put the story in an extended hibernation of sorts for revision and reworking. This, combined with my family's move to Australia, and, to be honest, the exhaustion of my will to write, is what caused my writings to disappear of the face of the internet. I sincerely apologise for the disappointment this has caused those who had been following this thread. My work was substandard, despite the most generous praises of the readers .

However, from the writing experience I have gained, I believe my skill has improved, and if the demand is here for more, I will try to start afresh.

- FiendishTau

+ Reply to Thread