Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hello to all Dark Eldar afficionados! I am currently playing Imperial Guard (started just before the new codex came out, so i'm pretty newb I admit) and am wondering if, since it will take me a bit to complete that army before I look to a second one and since the DE update/new codex/whatever they do is still a ways off (or so I am told?) should I consider DE for my second army?
To perhaps put it more clearly, what do you all feel are the pros and cons of collecting and playing a DE army? I love how they look and the fluff behind them, but your thoughts would be most helpfull. Obviously I still have time to decide, just wanted to gather some opinions.
Thanks in advance!
Funny. My frist Army was Imperial Guard and my second was also DE XD
I finde DE a nice contra to Imperial Guard. The Guard does not care if someone dies, they have enough.
DE can loose just because that one unit got shot down.
Also what i love with my DE are the conventions. You have loads of stuff that you can/have to(because some models are ugly as a brick) convert.
But you also wanted to hear the cons:
- some stupid codex regulations that did not get an errata
- some units are fluffy but suck in play/point cost are still from 3th edition
- peopel will lough at you because you collect a "crappy" army and call your army imba because you smasht there armys to pieces
- you will have a rough start, because you have to find a way to win the games.
enough with the cons, here some more pros:
- In Apo we rock! Some SA realy do DE justice, outflank for example ist just great. Charge the enemy lines in the back and choose your fight, thats DE Style
- playing DE ist fun, the face of your opponend after your archon charged his Commander, eventough at the start of your turn they where 30" away from each other XD
and last but not least,
- DE Players are better people
I love the DE for many reasons:
- They are rare in that no one I know plays them.
- Speed! They are the fastest army in the game. Many times a DE player could even get into assault first turn if they wanted. 12" Raider move + 2" Disembark + 3"average fleet + 12" combat drug assault (wargear for independent characters and a random roll for wyches) = 29"
- Evil Fluff
- Cool looking models
- They can deliver a lot of hard hits. Multiple disintegrators and dark lances can be amazing. DE can hold their own with practically all of their units in CC.
- Difficulty. I've heard the DE called "Warhammer on hard mode". I like the challenge.
- They are "glass cannons" They can do a lot of hurting very quickly but can't take much in return.
- Codex is from the stone age and there can be some interpretation differences.
- Difficulty. Again they are not the easiest army to play. Any mistakes and whole squads get obliterated and can cost you the game. Get used to losing. Starting DE players seem to lose a lot until they get the feel for them, then the army can be devastating.
I'm sure there are many pros and cons that I'm forgetting, but these are the main ones. Also, I'd probably wait until the new codes for DE before starting them. I hear rumors of big changes and that the army may not play necessarily the same way. Who knows with rumors though? Hope this helps
Thanks for your feedback, I do like the idea of the DE as a challenging army to play, as I currently play tank-heavy IG and my most common opponent is Necrons which basically amounts to "template your warriors and laugh as you phase out on turn 2 or 3." However, I still do not fully understand how the DE win, do you abuse their speed to get into CC or are you a shooty army or wtf? lol sorry if this seems dumb but I hear about dark lances and whatnot and I am confused as to what exactly the army does.
I definately love the evilness though and think I will be going with them as my second army. Anyone have any idea when the new codex or w/e is coming out?
Not I am the best advisor as DE player, here are many people to help You, BUT in my opinion I would not start DE right now, I would wait for the next codex, or I would not buy anything else, then basics (I mean warriors and wytches), untill the new dex.
And no, I do not have idea, I only know the rumours that You can read here Yourself in this very forum.
[quote=cinnabuN!;1447579] However, I still do not fully understand how the DE win, do you abuse their speed to get into CC or are you a shooty army or wtf? /quote]
A little bit of both, your cc troops rush in with raiders while the DLs/Ravagers blast away from the distance.
(WH40K) Dark Eldar - (12,000pts) Sisters of Battle - (5000pts) Dark Angels -(3500pts) (WHFB) Dark Elves - (10,000pts) Beastmen - (5000pts) Empire - (3000pts) Wood Elves - (1500pts)