Welcome to Librarium Online!
Hey so i've just started warhammer 40k about a month ago and have learned how to play with a small necron army i got. I've been thinking about switching to tau just cause i enjoy the shootyness and was wondering, why should i play tau over crons? what should i know to play tau? and what is a good starting list? another question, do i want to play with more battlesuits or do i want to play with a lot of shooty fire warriors?
Hmm. Here's what I would suggest, if you are going to play Tau.
1) Get the codex.
2) Proxy models and decide what style of play suits you best. (i.e. static gunline, lots of battlesuits, all skimmers, etc.)
3) Make a list and post it in the army lists section.
4) Buy & paint the models in your army.
5) Start playing, but dont just leave your necrons to collect dust. Use them too and pray for a new codex.
Check out my new blog! http://gamers-gone-wild.blogspot.com/
thanks! but what are the different kinds of strategies with tau. i just know that they are a shooty army, and i have a feeling i already like the idea of lots of battle suits
Hmmm, how to make you play Tau ... ;P
1. One of the reasons I'd choose Tau over Necrons, is the variety. Sure the Necrons gauss weapons blast through anything, but they mostly just march forward and they all look like metal skeletons. For the Tau you got battlesuits, non-tau looking troops, lots of skimmers, drones, mad gerbils, etc. It comes to personal taste really, and I like mobile suit anime ... and old sci fi flicks ... and you can't go wrong with orange ...
2. If there is a store near you, which sells GW game systems, head there and sit down with a codex. In general, Tau are outstanding in the shooting phase ... with the help of Markerlights. They just suck in close combat, but the Kroot aren't really that much better. Battlesuits are deadly, and your opponent will blast them off the board when they can. Railguns punch through anything, and have a bad habit of attracting all manner of incoming fire. Skimmers don't block your infantry's LoS, as long as the skimmers aren't using their landing gear....
3. For my start, I purchased the Tau battleforce box, a commander crisis suit box, and the codex. So you have a shas'el ( HQ ), fire warrior squad ( Troops1 ). kroot squad ( Troops2 ) , a devilfish ( for fire warrior team ) , and a crisis suit ( Elite1 ).
4. As for selection, it depends on your style of play. This is what I have seen...
a. A balanced force, using most/all of the selections in the codex.
b. A force of just suits and fire warriors.
c. A MEQ force with suits, hammerheads, skyrays, and fire warriors/ pathfinders in devilfish.
d. Massed fire warrior forces with suits and HHs/SRs as support.
e. A force with commander suit, 3 fire warrior teams in devilfish, and the rest of the force was stealth teams and kroot squads.
I hope I helped.