You're Better Off with Grots: Burna Boyz - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

You're Better Off with Grots: Burna Boyz

Hullo, my name is Mad Dok Grotsnik.

Ya might know me better as Mad Dok Grotsnik, or by da name I used during my youth, Mad Dok Grotsnik.

Iím not Ďere ta talk bout myself, or bout any other big name Ork, like Mad Dok Grotsnik, or da famous Warboss who fought wit Commissar Yarrick at Armageddon. Whut wuz dat bossís name? Iím pretty sure it wuz Grotznik.

Anyway, Iím Ďere today ta talk bout Burna Boyz. Not just any Burna Boy though. Iím Ďere today ta talk bout Burna Boyz who need yer help.

Not too long ago, Burnas wer roastiní da galaxy alive, bringiní puny Ďumies and beakies down to der knees wit never endiní torrents of flameÖ

Now look at Ďem. Dey barely even get out any more. Wit no transport ta truly call dere own, no traininí in Ďobjective grabbiní, and no nob williní ta lead Ďem, deez boyz just arenít cut out fer da average WAAAAAAAAAUGH anymore.

More and more often, weíre seeiní deez jobz handed over ta Meganobz, Lootas, or even regular Boyz. Deez once proud, criminally insane Orks Ďave had nothing ta burn fer months, apart from grots, leftover corpses, and each other.

For only 1 toof a day, da same price as yer average fungus brew, ya can give deez boyz da completely unnecessary serjery dey need in order ta krump, and da looted wagonz dey need ta get to da krumping.

Now donít just say Ďnoí if yer a Ďumie, wit yer stoopid teef dat donít grow back. Ya Ďumies still have da power ta make da difference. Da tanks in yer bases are da looted wagons of tomorrow! Just fight wit as many tanks as possible, so we can krump dem, patch Ďem up, and allow deez once proud sociopaths to burn again!

Please, instead of thinking wit yer head, think wit yer heart.

Seriously, it totally works! I performed a heart-brain transplant just a few minutes ago! Now I just need ta get da patientís brain ta be his heart. Maybe if I squish it a bitÖ

Oops.

Gotta go.

Ö

Although Iím far from done with these articles, this is the last of the Ďyour favorite Ork unit sucksí segments. If I havenít mentioned your favorite Ork unit up until now, then youíre probably safe.

For the final Ďdo not ever use this unití segment, Iíve chosen the one that arguably suffered the most from the new codex/rules release: the Burna Boyz. Once the staple of any effective Ork force, capable of dealing with both hordes and marines (and once upon a time, vehicles as well), these boyz just didnít fare well with the release of the new 5th edition rules.

As my esteemed colleague Grotsnik mentioned above, a few key problems plague Burnas, and you canít help but get the feeling that most of them could have been avoided:

• They canít claim objectives.

Not a major problem, as there are plenty of units that canít claim objectives, but what makes the Burnas stand out is the fact that theyíre exclusively anti-infantry, with virtually no ability to destroy vehicles. Most of the other great anti-infantry units in the Ork army are troop choices, capable of also claiming objectives, making them a superior choice (Lootas are also anti-armor, so they donít count).

• They canít take a nob.

Seems kind of odd, considering that Tankbustas and Kommandos can, but for some reason Burnas got jumbled together with Lootas, and lost out on both powerklaws and bosspoles, which greatly limits their effectiveness in close combat.

• They canít take a dedicated transport.

The bane of Tankbustas, Flash Gitz and Burna Boyz alike, this is the primary reason why the Burnas donít see much use any more. Burnas simply canít be effective without a transport, and many lists donít have a free heavy slot open for one. You canít leave them on foot because close combat focused enemies will assault them long before the Burnas get within range, and all other opponents will simply shoot the Burnas to pieces first.

• There are far better options.

This is the final nail in the coffin for Burna Boyz. With Meganobz (who can take combi-scorchas), Shoota boyz, Slugga boyz, Big Gunz, Lootas, Kommandos (who can both take burnas and outflank), Warbikes, Nob Bikers, Killa Kans, and many other great anti-infantry units in the Ork army, Burna Boyz simply donít have a niche any more. Iíve seen Burna Boyz kill an entire 30 Ork mob in a single turn, but Iíve seen Biker Nobz do it as well, and the Biker Nobz can do a lot that the Burna Boyz canít, like claiming objectives, killing tanks, and krumping monstrous creatures.

No one would like to see the Burnas make a comeback more than I, but weíll probably have to wait for a new codex first, and judging by the length of time between the release of the first and second codex, you can probably put those Burnas away for your great grandchildren to play with. ^_^

"Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x3)

Well Grax, can't say I'm sorry to see this series go. I've been huddling with my ork army, awaiting the next death blow to come in these thready forums, and here it finally ends. No longer huddled in the shadows, my orks will fly anew on sunny battlefields!

As always, i don't concur with alot you say, Burna boyz can still grab other units dedicated transports, and the looted wagon is always' an option, though you do make excellent points when it comes to "there are better units to take".

PS. though I don't agree with much, there's one thing here that definatly needs to be quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    Da tanks in yer bases are da looted wagons of tomorrow!
    sheer awesomeness!
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfect timing GRAX. I was searching this forum just last night for the pros and cons of Burna Boyz. I've been toying with putting one mob together for a trial run. But, as you pointed out, they don't have a boss pole, no transport, and can't claim objectives. The other problem is they can be too killy.

Well, I thought about putting a warboss with them. That takes care of the bosspole, doesn't address the transport or the claiming, and ultimately makes them even more killy.

Then I thought about putting them in a battlewagon with a warboss. That takes care of the bosspole and transport but doesn't address the killy part. So, I started limiting the number of burnas to a more managable level of killyness.

But, in all of the gyrations I came up with there are still two very important aspects that I could not address, claiming objectives and the ultimate killer of burna boyz, the cost. If you put a warboss with them and load them into a battlewagon, you are already at over 200 points without the burna boyz. There are way better uses of a warboss and of a battlewagon then this. Plus, I just can't get over the claiming part for the point cost.

So, to end my rant, unless this thread exposes some flaws in my thinking, it will have to be a while before I table burna boyz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Though I may be new, and don't have all that much actual table expirence I don't feel that they're that bad. The couple matches I've used them in, I just made some careful use of terrain and they were fine. They take care of the crappy ork BS. My burnas have done more damage overall than my lootas simply because of the lootas low BS. Nothing better than sneaking up on a unit inside terrain holding an objective and placing 10 flame templates inside. Again, they're probably not cost effective and not as good as some of the other units, but they have a special place in my tide.

Edit: P.S. Rep for the series! Very good reads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    201 (x4)

I had great success with burna boyz in a Boom Gunned Battlewagon. Just move 6" and fire the boom gun and the three ablative wound / mek with a kustom-mega-blaster from the battlewagon. And when someone get too close to it, you either drive by and flame the crap out of this unit or move at highest speed and unload the burna boys, have the first row to shoot and then assault.

Up to now, this went pretty well for me and those two units (Battlewagon and burna boys) did great.

As they say : It smells like grots on a barbecue.

But still, I understand the point your making.
    MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Uh...

I'm afraid looted wagons with boomguns can't transport troops, so your plan doesn't work within the rules, Mindraked.

Burna boyz aren't 'bad', they just aren't as effective as the other units in the Ork army. There simply isn't a reason to take them, not when kommandos, Meganobz, and skorcha buggies use template weapons far more effectively.

Before the release of the 5th edition main rules last year, I enjoyed a lot of success at tournaments with 8-12 burnas in a battlewagon, with either a warboss or Mad Doc Grotsnik attached. If it was the dok, then I'd hold them in reserve, so they could move out the first turn without the Mad Dok's rules affecting them, to make sure they go towards the enemy I want them to fight. With the new rules, there just isn't a reason to not use Meganobz, Biker Nobz, or Shoota boyz instead. The fact that these units can claim objectives makes all the difference.

I have also had the problem with burnas being overkill. 3-5 templates can kill any infantry horde. 9-15 templates is just ridiculous overkill.

There's only one setup that seems to make them worth it, and even then I'm not sure if they're any better than skorcha buggies or meganobz:

6 burnas w/3 mek and big shoota upgrades [90]

Looted wagon w/big shoota [40]

For 130 points, you get 4 big shootas and 3 flamer templates, making them versatile and cheap enough to be cost effective. However, for 175 points you get 5 deffkoptas with twin linked big shootas (10 hits instead of the burna/wagon's 4), or for 120-135 points (don't have the book with me) you get 3 skorcha buggies, which are more powerful than the burnas. For 165 points you get 5 warbikes w/nob, powerklaw, and bosspole...and I could go on for quite a while. Also, all these units only take up one force org slot and only add one kill point, where the burnas in the wagon add 2.

Yeah, you're probably better off with something else, regardless of the circumstances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

I plan on putting a unit of burna boyz in a looted wagon (with a skorcha, of course) and just driving around burning stuff.

It should be great for a laugh!

But first I need to find something to loot....

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

I'm afraid looted wagons with boomguns can't transport troops, so your plan doesn't work within the rules, Mindraked.
    I think MindRaked is reffering to a Killkannon Battlewagon, which is perfectly legal.. albeit, amongst my least favorite units in the Codex.. but still legal.

There simply isn't a reason to take them
    My number one argument against this.. has always been, and always will be.. There is ALWAYS a reason to take ANY Ork unit! They're ALL fun!!! But fun factor aside.. I've still more arguing left in me.

Big Mek ( 85 )
    +Kustom Force Field
    Burna Boyz ( 150 )
    +7x Burnas
    +3x Meks with Big Shootas
    Battle Wagon ( 125 )
    +Deffrolla, Armour Plates, Red Paint Job, Kannon

360 Points Total

Yes, that's HUGE! But every Ork army is capable of selecting one such "fun" point sink, even at 1,000 Points

Shoota Boyz ( 170 ) x3 ( 510 )
    +19x Boyz, 2x Big Shootas
    +Nob w/ Power Klaw, Boss Pole

Bam! There you have it, one HQ, three 'uge scoring units, a big-bad-scary-killy-stompy Burna Wagon, and a further 130 points to spare. Sure, a huge chunk went towards a unit that might just be... TOO killy.. but it still makes for a well rounded list, as well room for further upgrades. Did I mention that it'd just be fun?

Cheers and Beers! I'm sad to see this series leaving the Ork boards.. But it's been a good run!

I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the ease that the cover rules can be abused in 5th ed, I think there is definitely a place for these guys. I've found them invaluable at flushing out 'nids entrenched in cover that were holding an objective. Denying your opponent an objective is just as important as holding one yourself, and you will always have plenty of units capable of capturing objectives regardless of whether you include burnaz or not. Oh, and don't forget annihilation games either.

I'll agree the transport thing is annoying, but it's certainly not an insurmountable problem.

And I have to second BossGorestompa - it's all about the fun factor with orks (for me particularly). I used to play tau, which were very one dmensional when it came to trying to win - jump, shoot, jump and hope you killed everything before it got near you. It made every game feel the same and was pretty dull. The big strength with the orks is that win, lose or draw, you can rest assured that something funny is going to happen that will make the game memorable.

I've really enjoyed the series of articles Grax (regardless of my own motivations when playing 40k meaning I don't always agree), they're very informative and great for new players in particular. Oh and the little fiction segments at the beginning of each were gold. I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Thank you

Thank you, that's really nice to hear. ^_^

If a unit is fun, then by all means, use it. I personally just find Meganobz to be just as fun, and a lot more effective. I definitely have nothing against template/flamer weapons, but I just feel there are much better ways to get them into the army than burnas.

Oh, and I'm not quite done yet. I have a few of these articles left, it's just that none of the remaining articles are 'trashing' a specific unit.

For those who've lost track, these are the units you should never use. In parentheses next to them is the best unit/model to use instead:

Deff Dreads (Killa Kans)

Zagstrukk (Nob)

Mad Dok Grotsnik (Warboss or Ghazghkull)

Tankbustas (Rokkit buggies or Big Gunz Kannons)

Burnas (Meganobz or Kommandos)

Regular Nobz (Biker Nobz)

Slugga Boyz on foot (Shoota Boyz on foot)

Deffkoptas and Flash Gitz were also mentioned, but they weren't trashed. I just wanted to state the best way to field these somewhat tricky units.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! ^_^

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast