New Player Fresh Out of the Box - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Player Fresh Out of the Box

I just started getting into 40k about a week or so ago. I bought AoBR and played only a few small games with a friend (still trying to digest a good portion of the rules but I have basics down I think). In short I'm pawning off the Orks (as fun as they were to play) and giving the SMs to my lil brother(so I can atleast win once in a while >.>)

So bottom line is: I want to play 'Nids! I'm absolutely enamored with the little guys (I'm a slut for good visual design). The problem is that I've been reading a lot of these posts and trying to figure out how to set up a small starting force (like 1000-1500?) or what different kind of play styles there are for 'Nids. I plan on obtaining the Nid Battleforce within the next week or so, but judging by all of the posts I've been reading I'm really in the dark about how to equip and upgrade them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I've learned I will need:

>Bloodlord with retinue of 8-10 genestealers

>I want2-3 Fexes one of which as a dedicated tank buster and the other(s) as raw fire power

> something in the range of 40 gaunts(most popular set up being with spinefists but I was thinking of using devourers instead, I want them to do something useful without getting obliterated)

>a few Zoanthropes for Synapse(which I'm not sure how this game mechanic works yet) and artillery power

>I was thinking of including a biovore, but from what I've seen it looks like no one runs him so I dunno if he's reliable

>5-6 Warriors for Synapse and support.

Please keep in mind that I'm brand spankin' new to the game so try to put things in lei terms whenever possible(for instance: I have no idea what CC or WoN is but I keep seeing it pop up). I'm a quick learner so once you lay me a gridwork of what I should do I'll act accordingly.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by JMtheXenologist; May 20th, 2009 at 21:21.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

you will need:

A Hive Tyrant with 3 guard. I like equipping the Hive Tyrant with a Barbed Strangler (for crowd control) and Warp Blast (anti-tank). I always leave the lash whips on the guard because it makes it that much more difficult to kill this unit in hand to hand.

I'm not too keen on the Broodlord. I do like genestealers. Giving them the feeder tendrils for an extra point a model is one of the more disgusting upgrades in the game, in my honest opinion.

Make sure that when you field your Zoanthropes to give them Warp Blast. This will give your army a decent range attack that can penetrate a heavily armoured vehicle, otherwise you will have to get into charge range with one of your monstrous creatures to be able to kill it. You most likely will rarely need to put Synapse on these, especially if you are planning on playing warriors as well.

Carnifexes...I don't think I have seen a build where is makes me say "It won't bother me". The elite Dakka Fex is awesome, as well as the shooty or assault heavy support carnifex. It really is difficult to go wrong with any Carnifex selection.

I love playing Tyranids. There is so much flexibility in the army that your opponent will never truly know what you are bringing until you put it on the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what really hooked me into them was the huge range of different ways you can build your army and the differences in tactics. I'm the kind of person that gets bored running the same strategies over and over so the versatility of Nids was something I fell for instantly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

Instead of telling you what to field, I'm going to try and give a general overview of some of the more popular styles out there. For nids there's basically 3 theories:
    1) CC list.
    2) Shooty list.
    3) MC list. (can be CC or shooty.)

For a cc list most people go for swarms of fast nids that can get into combat fast and kill things quickly. Hormagaunts, stealers, raveners, lictors, flying/leaping warriors and flyrants all work well. carnifex are good but usually come to the game late. Use your faster gaunts to tie the enemy up giving your second and third waves time to get there.

Shooting uses the theory of massive amounts of shots to kill units. The main issue with nid shooting is their lack of AP weapons. To make up for this many shooters take twin-linked devourers. Plus template weapons have gained popularity. For shooting lists the focus is usually sniperfex, dev flyrant, shooting warriors, thropes and spinegaunts. Always go for volume fire!

MC lists can be either CC or shooting. The real focus of a MC list is bringing as many tyrants/carnifex as possible. You try to make up your lack of model count with hard to kill MC units.

All three playstyles can work very well. Just be sure to focus your list. A shooting list doesn't work well if half of the list is dedicated to CC. (And vice-versa.) Whichever you decide to field, read up on all biomorphs! Things like rending claws, flesh-hooks, feeder tendrils and all other valuable biomorphs are a must for some lists. (I'll never field a CC unit without fleshooks if at all possible.

For purchase consideration, think of getting a few battleforce boxes. Really fills out your possibilities and gives you many of the core units pretty cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm leaning more towards the MC list now that I know a little bit more.

The more Fexs i can feild the happier I am

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a shame that the Assault Brood is no longer in production because that was one of the best things to happen for 'Nids in a while! The 3-for-2 deal on Carnifexes wasn't bad, either, but we'll wait for the new summer Apocalypse formations and see what happens. I would suggest in the meantime to build a solid base getting two or three Battleforces. If you are savvy, you can even still find the old Battle for Macragge starters and go halvsies with a Marine player letting you keep the cheap Tyranids. Aside from that and in my opinion, this is what you should look into getting next:

1. Hive Tyrant. (Then subsequently up to three guard.)
    2. Broodlord. (Box of Genestealers to go with him if you didn't get a third Battleforce.)
    3. Third Carnifex if you didn't purchase a third Battleforce. (NOTE: Get small rare earth magnets for these guys and your other big bugs. Magnetize your limbs for maximum customization!)
    3. Three Zoanthropes.
    4. One Lictor.
    5. Gaunts.
    6. Other units you may want to field for special purposes: Biovores, Raveners, Gargoyles, etc.
    Last edited by MattyMorgs; May 21st, 2009 at 01:18. Reason: Forgot to add the magnet note!
    Human beings, while exceptional in the ability to learn from the mistakes of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get the 'nid battleforces while they're still cheap enough! I'd say after that go for some tyrant love. If you havent got any 'nids at all, the battleforce is the perfect place to start and I'd seriously recommend two of them. Is money a factor for you?

Oh, and if you havent already, pick up the codex straight away. Plan a force (start with 1000) and build it from there. Sounds like you have an idea of the kind of army you're going for.

If you're really adventurous, invest in some rare earth magnets (the best site to order from depends on your location) and create your own hive fleet magnetica.

Welcome to the bugs, I'm sure you won't be disappointed however your fleet turns out!
    If Google were a woman...I would so marry her.

+ Reply to Thread