Please help the Noob. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please help the Noob.

Hi all. I just got into 40k and out of the 3 armies I liked I decided to go with the Eldar. I'm going to get the Battalion set; which has 4 Dire Avengers and an Exarch, 8 Guardians, a Heavy Weapon with 2 crew, 1 War Walker, and 1 Wave Serpent; a Farseer, and a unit of Aspect Warriors to get started. The problem is I don't know which Aspect Warriors to go with. Any thoughts or advice for a begginer would be greatly appriciated. Also, the 3 armies I'll be faceing the most are Eldar, Tyranid, and Orks. Thanks in advance.

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." - Mark Twain

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

On a side note most people like dire avengers in a full 10 man squad if possible. I would recommend a melee aspect, looking at the armies you might be facing scorpions could work well as they get alot of attacks and a good save making them great against hordes (orc and tyrand can both do horde armies ) if you give the exarch a claw they can even try to hurt MCs in a pinch. Fire dragons are another great choice as they are amazing at AT and work just as well against MCs and nob biker units (insta kill with no FnP ).

Lastly welcome to eldar and feel free to ask questions we are generally nice people around here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

I'd say for an aspect go for either Howling Banshees or Warp Spiders, they're both brilliant. However, looking at what you're getting I'd suggest Banshees because you don't have any other melee units in there.

And yes, Dire Avengers are FAR more useful in 10-man squads than in 5-man squads. I don't know why anyone would ever want to field a 5-man squad unless it was a point-filler or something. They really don't have much strategic value on the battlefield whatsoever.

DiW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd advise Fire Dragons or Banshees and at least one of them in a Wave Serpent - but it does depend on who you're playing. The Fire Dragons will make short work of Imperial Armour due to their Fusion Blasters and Melta Bombs and despite the Banshees' relative fragility if they're used properly they can really rip through the lines.

The Wave Serpent is always a good idea to get 'shees into combat otherwise you'll need to look to cover and running moves to keep them from getting shot up.

I'd advise against Warp Spiders unless its for tactical purposes since they're very expensive and are still WS 3 and most of their decent properties stem from the expensive Exarch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the advice. Since the Howling Banshees seem to be the most recommended for close combat I'll get them, but I think I'll grab some Striking Scorpions too just to be on the safe side and see how they both play. Also as you said Nakaruru I probably would want the full 10 Dire Avengers, it's just that the battalion set only comes with 5 so that's just what I'll have to start with. Thank you again for the Advice, I really appreciate it.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." - Mark Twain

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x4)

As you play mainly against horde armies (except the other Eldar player) take the Scorps.....And you can fill the avenger squad over ebay pretty cheap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Yeah, DA's are great. Transports are also great, be sure that you keep picking those up as you goo as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banshees are largely useless against Orks and nids. Scorps are a better call. Harlequins haven't been mentioned yet and they can be pretty useful. I find they last longer than banshees most of the time and are better at getting into cc than scorps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

I don't think largely useless is a fair assessment when talking about orcs and nids. Banshees are extremely useful for anything with a high armor save or high initiative. This means that they can eat mega armored nobs, special orcs, nob bikers, hard boy nob squads, genestealers, brood lords, lichtors, warriors, zoanthropes and even the un-hardened 'fex's and tyrrants with tyrrant guard. True, 30 boys vs 10 banshees usually means pretty heavy losses, but they should be able to shred 20 guants pretty reasonably. Then again the aspect isn't about killing hordes, its about wrecking high value targets which both Orc and Nid armies have plenty of.

The extra attack for the harleys and the scorpions are nice, but my harlies have a very hard time staying alive. The 5+ save just isn't that good. I realize that its an invuln, but still with a 5+ save it feels like i'm taking guardians in to CC except they cost more than twice as much. The scorps can't fleet which makes them very incompatible with just about evey list I run. Although they are also a very fierce CC unit and more likely to survive a 30 boy rush.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you again for the advice. I got the Scorpions and extra Dire Avengers, I'll be sure to get some Banshees and more transports later as well.

+ Reply to Thread