Using Stealth Suits - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Using Stealth Suits

Riki, over on Steleks in the list you provided you mentioned using stealth suits in your list. Just curious as to how you use them. I know you are not a fan of deep striking so do you outflank, pull them in from reserves or deploy them in your regular set up?

- Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm...you know from the previous markerlight and stealth suit posts...what about deepstriking a Markerlight Drone Stealth Suit Team after you see how the opponent commits. That could highly increase the survivability of the squad since most opponents commit to what they perceive to be the biggest threat early and a reserve squad would force the opponent to change their plans mid-game.

So now they have to decide...finish pursuing their initial threat or remaneuver and possibly waste time and tempo in the game.

I think this tactic warrants a little playtesting. I'd be interested to see what others think about the idea.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by haddatt View Post
    Riki, over on Steleks in the list you provided you mentioned using stealth suits in your list. Just curious as to how you use them. I know you are not a fan of deep striking so do you outflank, pull them in from reserves or deploy them in your regular set up?
    I use the Stealth's primarily as an infiltrating unit. For some reason many players do not seem to link the stealth and infiltrate rules.
    The idea of infiltrate is to get a jump on deployment positioning and the stealth field makes deploying closer to the opposition much safer. Deploying 18 inches away is quite safe with the stealth fields protection. The 18" infiltrate just happens to be the range of the Burst cannon as well. Having the ability to hit the opponent first turn with some quite handy fire power is not to be underestimated. Hitting a valuable unit straight away can often unsettle an opponent and make him/her abandon game plans and send units after the Stealth's. This means with Kroot and Stealth's hitting the opponents units from behind or on the flanks and the opponent having to deal with them the units that need to gain ground to be effective can do so in a bit more safety.

I like to use the Stealth's to hit the opponents forces on the flanks or from the rear. Nothing throws an opponents plans into disarray than a unit hitting an opponents forces from the rear. I also use the Stealth's Marker light to mark transports or tanks that are deep in the opponents half, having a +1 to a Hammerheads BS can make all the difference or hitting with a Seeker
    The ML also helps the Stealth's, 18 BS4 shots can really hurt an infantry unit. I also use the Stealth's to hit transports on the rear and side armour (AV10/11) 18 shots usually ends up at the very least stopping the vehicles movement.
    The main way I use the Stealth's is as a harassment and distraction unit with the added benefit of Markerlight support.
    The thing with Stealth's is they can get close to the enemy with a modicum of safety, the unit can skirt around the opponents forces hitting and moving back into relative safety. The Stealth field offers them protection and this means the opponent has a unit that can put the hurt on any unit (either with the Burst cannons or the ML) that is difficult for them to deal with.

I also use the Stealth's in concert with the Kroot , they both have infiltrate and I use them to push other infiltrators back or to make it hard for the opponent to approach certain parts of the field. I use the Stealth;s to soften up units and then send the Kroot and Hounds in to finish them of.

I never deep strike the Stealth's because I like to use them as soon as possible to influence the opponents deployment, annoy and generally throw spanners into their game plans.

Nothing is particularly fixed with the way I use them, I often just use them as an ML unit moving around the field lighting up targets and then use them to contest objectives.

I see the same arguments over and over again. Why take Stealth's when taking them means you cant take another unit of XV8's. Stealth's are expensive for what they do, Stealth's only have Burst cannons blah blah blah. No unit can do what the Stealth's do, no unit can infiltrate into dangerous positions with relative impunity, damage a unit and then move away into a much safer place than any other Tau unit.
    Tau lists work best when the you do something unexpected, deploying an expensive unit deep in his territory is not what most opponents expect from Tau players. Most players will underestimate a unit of Stealth's, focussing more on XV8's and Hammerheads and get pissed of when their Leeman Russ goes up from a Seeker missile or a transport goes up when it gets hit in the rear.

Another thing many players miss is the rule for infiltrate says that a unit can set up 12" away from another unit if the opponents unit cannot draw LOS to them. Well you cannot draw a LOS to a Stealth unit unless you roll a spotting test. You cannot roll a spotting test in the deployment phase so the Stealth's are in effect invisible. So you can set the Stealth's up at 12" even if cover is not available. Obviously setting up at 12" is very situation dependent because 12" is within assault range and makes the stealth field pretty unreliable.
    I usually stick to 18 to 20 inches deployment as it is much safer.

Stelek's cronies dismissal of Stealth's shows a lack of imagination that I see a lot in some quarters regarding Tau lists, Flamers are another (they did not work in 4th so they must not work in 5th, games and units evolve). Stealth's can be used in amny ways and add a lot to a list.

I am also considering taking two Fusions in the Stealth unit. Having the ML Drone means the chance of two BS4 Fusions. This gives the unit much more damage potential and makes the unit very effective anti armour. The only drawback is close range but I am pretty good using them so I am going to trial them

+ Reply to Thread