Effectiveness of Swarms - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How effective are swatrm armies?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • They are very effective

8 11.27%
  • They are moderately effective

27 38.03%
  • They are slightly effective

8 11.27%
  • They are only effective in certain situations

22 30.99%
  • They are not effective

6 8.45%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

Effectiveness of Swarms

Hey guys. So I've been slowly building my nid army, and I've reached the critical point where I need to decide which direction to take with my army. I've always been attracted to the idea of swarm armies and seeing the look on my opponent's face when they see me put down a horde of gribblies.

So basically my question to you is: Are swarm armies an effective build? Will I win at least a moderate amount of games with one? I'm not a power gamer and I play more for fun than winning, but I don't mind crushing the opponent beneath waves of chitinous plates every once and a while

EDIT: Poll question should read "How effective are swarm armies?"

Last edited by Subsocial; May 22nd, 2009 at 20:12.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO for all the extra work/money/time investment they should be more effective than they are. Although im not saying they are good or bad.

If you compare a normal 1000 point army of lets say 50 guys to an army that is 200 guys.

The 200 man army:
    1. probally cost more to buy
    2. is harder to transport to the table you have to buy bigger and more carrying cases.
    3. more time invested to build/model
    4. more time invested to paint

Playing:
    5. Is harder to move across the table
    (i mean getting the full number of inches. What i mean here is the first guy in the row probally gets his 6 inches but by the time you get to move the last man of a 30 man squad he probally doesnt have enough room to move more than a few inches. So overall i feel the squad is slightly slowed down by having larger groups. Even worse when it comes to walking through terrain)

6. Takes longer to do your movement phase
    7. you will be picking off handfulls of models at a time
    8. You cannont hide as much
    (with the rules as they are if you cant fit all of your guys out of line of sight they can really get hurt. One guy out in the open can get shot at and you would take casualties from behind the building. One guy misplaced and you could take lots of wounds.)

There is probally more i can add to this ill think of latter.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I think a balance is good. If you go for a purely swarmy army then you will have trouble with the tougher targets. I think that the more expensive units like Genestealers can be used and still allow you to use lots of models. Also to use a swarmy army requires you to have lots of Gaunts and Hormagaunts. These types need Tyranid warriors to control them, the more you have the more Warriors are needed.

I say get some cheap units to mob your opponent and do the swarmy thing. Also get some more expensive units to hide behind the cheap ones. Use a few units with upgrades so that parts of your army will have a nasty sting. Try to see that each unit you use has a purpose and you don't take broods not having a clue what to do with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x1)

With the new rules you are not gonna last more than 2 round in CC with a standard gaunt unit (except against an equivalent enemies). The fearless rules really hurts. The only you can do with a big gaunt squad is sit on an objective (and go to ground), kill point denial (because it's big) and provide a mobile cover save for the bigger stuff behind.

In my opinion, the best swarm army you can have is a genestealers swarm (stealer shock) with lots of scuttling, a broodlord and 3 lictors (put feeder tendrils on all stealers). Outflanking an entire army is a lot more jaw dropping than an endless deployment of gaunts. Maybe you can spice things up with a deepstriking hive tyrant, raveners and other flying circus stuff.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75 (x1)

Okay, so the generally it seems that if I want to play a swarm army, I should still be taking a few of the big uns. That makes sense. Thanks everyone.

As for a stealer shock army, as dapredator suggested, I thought a lot about that as I really like the concept, but I don't know, because last time I used flanking stealers it was incredibly ineffective. In fact, I was just about to post a thread about that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Subsocial View Post
    Okay, so the generally it seems that if I want to play a swarm army, I should still be taking a few of the big uns.
    You got that right on the mark.
    Quote of the Week (Number 3) - "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
    Ruina's Hive - My personal Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are going swarmy, then you will probably have a good chunk of troops to capture objectives. In which case, rippers become viable again - and they are pretty good for what they are and do.
    As of Tyranid 5th Ed. codex I have the Gaunts I wanted. I did, however, loose the sniperfexs I relied upon and they were more important then the gaunts.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    If you are going swarmy, then you will probably have a good chunk of troops to capture objectives. In which case, rippers become viable again - and they are pretty good for what they are and do.
    By this you mean using them to tar pit?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I take about a hundred guants for a game. I back them up with 3 fexes, a tyrant some warriors and Genestealers. make sure that everyone is always in synapse and use the fexes to kill tanks and tough units, and the warriors to charge with the guants into CC to help kill models.

I think that the 200 guant list is a bit much.
    Army's used: Space Wolves, Tomb Kings, High Elves, Tyranids, Tau and Eldar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    93 (x2)

I would almost argue that you dont want the gaunts to charge in with the warriors unless it's a fight you are guaranteed to sweep through. Gaunts die quickly, warriors don't. If the warriors go in by themselves they'll do several wounds and probably win combat. If the gaunts are in there too your opponent can allocate all of his wounds at the gaunts and deny you a win, forcing saves on both the gaunts & the warriors if you lose.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast