is eldar playable like IG? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is eldar playable like IG?

Hey fellas,

I was fiddling around with my codex, and I figured eldar could possibly run an obscene amount of troops if they so chose. As such I was wondering how an imperial guard styled eldar horde could do.

a 2k list would look something along these lines

Farseer with guide, fortune, stones, warding
    10 striking scorpions with exarch and claw
    3 squads of 20 guardians with starcannon and conceal lock
    20 storm guardians with enhance lock and flamers
    10 dire Avengers exarch power pwep
    3 wraithlords with eml + bl

this'll put 100 fearless bodies on the field, most with a 5+ cover save, Avengers, scorps, and stormies work as counter charge, and tarpit. Starcannon's price is spread over the guardians and gives anti meq.

so my question is, how would this preform in a 2000 point battle against more tournament oriented lists? Seems like it would be fun to run, as the body count is shockingly high for space elves

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

Well, first of all it's not really true to Eldar fluff what with all the waves of cannon fodder etc, but that aside, here are my thoughts.

Against Imperial Guard, this list would fail HORRIBLY. It's a list that tries to do the same thing Imperial Guard do except Imperial Guard could do it better. The level of artillery (usually) involved would tear this list to pieces in the first few turns, so there's a definite no-go against IG. Against other lists it might perform, but then again it would depend on what type of army you were facing. Like I said before, against artillery-heavy armies this list would be useless and in fact it would be pretty useless against most shooty armies considering you only have about 10 guns that are capable of firing at a distance worth thinking about so your opponent could just keep at a safe distance and shoot the hell out of you so that by the time you got close enough to shoot them, half your army would be dead. This is also backed up by the fact that Guardians are pathetically weak with T3 and a 5+ save, so even basic bolters would tear them apart. I personally don't think this list would perform well at all against 90% of opponents you'd be up against and it wouldn't be anywhere near as effective even against the other 10% as, say, a mech list with 3 Fire Prisms or something.

DiW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh DiW, you and your fire prisms, suggesting them in every post

Haha, nah they are pretty damn good. I always find room in every list I make for one.

In regards to akaean,

Eldar do have some pretty bomb troops, they just should be used well. Dire avengers are great for massing fire and decent range, Guardian jetbikes are excellent objective takers and mobile units.

There is a lot of speculation about guardians, see the many guardian threads for opinions, but Ill sum it up quick:

1. Defenders need to be played well to be good, a 20 man squad is unwieldly - you need to be tactically experienced with them and your army needs to fit them well (you need to have a variety of ranged units to support them)
    I prefer small defender squads to fill in points sometimes: a 10 man squad with scatter laser can function well as objective grabbers and anti-infantry in a pinch.

2. Storm guardians are good in wave serpents, thats about it. The best outfiiting for them is 11 guardians and a warlock (with destructor or enhance and a spear.) The guardians should take either 2 flamers if they have a destro lock, or 2 fusion guns if they have a spear lock. Use them vs horde or with a doomseer for max efficiency.

3. Pathfinders are (supposedly) good vs meq or mcs but I have yet to see their success in battle. Some people swear by them, as with defenders, you need to have support for them, good infiltration placement etc.

4. 10 wraithguard as a troops is really iffy, they basically will never make up their points, I dont reccommend them.

All in all, dont rely too much on troops. A balanced 2000 list that can take on anything almost always takes a couple of da squads, other than that its up to you. A good 2000 point list should never have less than 4 troops though, and a good 1500 point list needs at lesat 3.

The Hand that guides.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBurningHand View Post
    Oh DiW, you and your fire prisms, suggesting them in every post
    Not without good reason! The list I run in tourneys is one with 2 Farseers with 2 squads of Dire Avengers in Wave Serpents, 1 squad of Howling Banshees in a Wave Serpent, a squad of Warp Spiders and 3 Fire Prisms with holofields! It effortlessly annihilates almost everything that stands in its way - there really are no faults with Fire Prisms, you can't go wrong against any army. They have something for IG, something for Dark Eldar, something for Marines, something for Necrons - they're one of, if not the, most versatile unit in 40K. AND they're only 150 points with holofields! Why would you not use them?

Oh and TBH, thank you so much for changing your avatar

DiW
    Last edited by Acarna; May 23rd, 2009 at 18:28.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

You have too many guardians and don't have the stuff to support them. The Avatar will make your units fearless but that only if he is alive. An Avatar will die to someone that is taking the effort to kill him. Since he's the keystone to you army your opponents will target him. That leaves you guardians vulnerable to close combat since you don't ahve the fire power to keep them off of you. Also since your walking your opponent will be more menuverable then you.

To make an horde Eldar list your going to need to think Ulthwe. I hate to tell you to go with a stereo type but its whe your going to have to use. A solid Seer Council is a must for a HQ, thats with 2 farseers. THe guardian hord is doable but the defenders should defent an objective with about ten guardians and an emboldining Warlock, heavy weapon to taste. You are spot on with the Storme guardians being 20 strong if you want to run across the field.

for suport I'd recomend a pair of Fire Prisms to deal with armor and MEQ. Any Aspect warriors i would mount in a Waveserpent to ad the desperatly needed mobility to you army.

Thats my oppinion on how to use a horde. If you already have these models then my recomendation is to drop the Avatar and get a wave serpent for the Dire Avengers or Striking Scorpions.

Thats my 2 cents on the matter. Horde = Ulthwe mentaliy.
    Army's used: Space Wolves, Tomb Kings, High Elves, Tyranids, Tau and Eldar.

+ Reply to Thread